• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DyeF9

In Thrust We Trust
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Red Oak TX
    I have an upper that cycles well, but the extractor doesn't seem to want to let go of the round during the cycling action. Bad ejector or extractor? It definitely holds onto that case lip tight

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Capitol Armory ad

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Break down the bolt and make sure the extractor and spring are clean and moving freely. Could try replacing the extractor spring also.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    Break down the bolt and make sure the extractor and spring are clean and moving freely. Could try replacing the extractor spring also.

Ive also seen double O rings on a ejector spring. That would make the ejector hold on tight the case.

kenboyles72

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2017
    Gladewater,TX
    Well, you have two things, the extractor and the ejector. The extractor is the "claw" on the side of the bolt. The ejector is the pin that is on the face of the bolt, right above the firing pin hole.

Is the ejector pin there? Does it have spring tension and move freely?
    Check the extractor and possibly remove the rubber "O" ring that's around the spring. Do not remove the spring.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Remove any o rings on the extractor spring first, ideally, you'll have a 5 coil spring and updated insert unless you have a 20" barrel. BCM makes good kits if not

Check the ejector and ejector spring. If the above doesn't fix it

DyeF9

In Thrust We Trust
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Red Oak TX
    Sorry for the long delay between the OP and now. I have so little time these days it's difficult to answer, much less actually take apart something to look at the things you guys are asking. I appreciate the feedback and questions. Thanks for taking time to help. This is a brand new BCG and upper, just had a cursory wipe down before shooting.

So I pulled out the AR, cycled different rounds through the mag by hand, and it happens if I'm shooting or if I cycle the bolt with the charging handle.

The bolt definitely still has it's ejector pin in there, and is preloaded with some pretty heavy spring tension.

I took the extractor off, because it's pretty easy, has a small 5 coil spring and a single o-ring, looks pretty standard. Clean and decent. No noticeable issues with extractor lip itself. it looks pretty smooth.

@zackmars are you suggesting trying to run it without the o-ring and just the spring?

Edit: I decided to take the o-ring off and cycle it by hand just to see if it would work, and it did in fact eject the round. Is it a problem to run the gun without the viton o-ring? should I just order a new ejector spring/o-ring set to replace the factory one? I should also note that the ejection is really weak and I would be surprised it was reliable enough to not cause doublefeeds or jams.

Last edited:

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Sorry for the long delay between the OP and now. I have so little time these days it's difficult to answer, much less actually take apart something to look at the things you guys are asking. I appreciate the feedback and questions. Thanks for taking time to help. This is a brand new BCG and upper, just had a cursory wipe down before shooting.

So I pulled out the AR, cycled different rounds through the mag by hand, and it happens if I'm shooting or if I cycle the bolt with the charging handle.

The bolt definitely still has it's ejector pin in there, and is preloaded with some pretty heavy spring tension.

I took the extractor off, because it's pretty easy, has a small 5 coil spring and a single o-ring, looks pretty standard. Clean and decent. No noticeable issues with extractor lip itself. it looks pretty smooth.

@zackmars are you suggesting trying to run it without the o-ring and just the spring?

Edit: I decided to take the o-ring off and cycle it by hand just to see if it would work, and it did in fact eject the round. Is it a problem to run the gun without the viton o-ring? should I just order a new ejector spring/o-ring set to replace the factory one? I should also note that the ejection is really weak and I would be surprised it was reliable enough to not cause doublefeeds or jams.

The O-ring was a temporary band-aid fix to help issues with the shorter M4's. Try shooting the gun with just the spring and insert, no O-ring.

Weak ejection when you cycle by hand is normal, live rounds are heavier, and you aren't likely cycling the gun fast as it would be if it were fired

Top Bottom