• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Browncoat

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    BRLA
    I have a friend who lives in Hutto, and he has expressed interest in building an AR. I'm in SE Louisiana and was wondering if I can get some recommendations on local stores for buying parts. I've always wanted to visit Primary Arms in Houston but that's a bit of a drive. And we can order what we want but wouldn't mind supporting a more local business.
    Thanks...

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    I have a friend who lives in Hutto, and he has expressed interest in building an AR. I'm in SE Louisiana and was wondering if I can get some recommendations on local stores for buying parts. I've always wanted to visit Primary Arms in Houston but that's a bit of a drive. And we can order what we want but wouldn't mind supporting a more local business.
    Thanks...
    Easiest path is a complete build kit from Palmetto State Armory. Not the top shelf parts but definitely a great choice for starting this project.

I’m not opposed to local gun shops, but it’s easy to forget a key part or two…or buying the wrong thing…

Just a thought.

Browncoat

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    BRLA
    Thanks! I've bought a few Palmetto items in the past. And if we ordered Palmetto, he's still got to go to an FFL to get it. So I figured, if nothing else, we'd go local for the receivers.

I've assembled a few so we'll be okay, and he wants to be 'educated' on the numerous options and be involved in the decisions on what to buy. And he's a little guy so he might opt for an SBR and buy the stamp.

And I've got all the tools including this little red plastic thing to easily install the front takedown pin. I've lost more than one pin, or spring, or both. I may let him experience that, at least once, without the tool. Initiation, so to speak...

Puzzle.jpg

Easiest path is a complete build kit from Palmetto State Armory. Not the top shelf parts but definitely a great choice for starting this project.

I’m not opposed to local gun shops, but it’s easy to forget a key part or two…or buying the wrong thing…

Just a thought.

Browncoat

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    BRLA
    I actually have a few parts I will freaking GIVE you because I do not need them. I'd have to dig in my tub but I have probably 5 or 6 AR parts
    Thanks! I appreciate that. I'm the same. I probably have enough lower parts for a couple of ARs. And at least one extra BCG and a cheap barrel that just has the caliber and twist rate on it. I have no idea where it came from or when I got it.

I just sent a guy a BCG, buffer and spring I had laying around. His 16-year-old son wants to build his own AR and sold some baseball/football trading cards to buy the parts. I think I gave him a pretty good deal on them.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    Thanks! I've bought a few Palmetto items in the past. And if we ordered Palmetto, he's still got to go to an FFL to get it. So I figured, if nothing else, we'd go local for the receivers.

I've assembled a few so we'll be okay, and he wants to be 'educated' on the numerous options and be involved in the decisions on what to buy. And he's a little guy so he might opt for an SBR and buy the stamp.

And I've got all the tools including this little red plastic thing to easily install the front takedown pin. I've lost more than one pin, or spring, or both. I may let him experience that, at least once, without the tool. Initiation, so to speak...

View attachment 460423
    You can buy a stripped lower locally and the rest from PSA…no FFL for the kit

gasgas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    S Texas
    Primary Arms does not have a large showroom. They have scope and red dot displays and a few other items, including some clearance and blems
    Mostly a order online and pick up merchandise if you are in the area
    Can do the transfer form there if picking up lowers and firearms

Browncoat

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    BRLA
    You can buy a stripped lower locally and the rest from PSA…no FFL for the kit
    Well, most of what I buy for myself is BCM (Bravo Company) for lower parts kits. I have bought a couple of Rise Armament 'drop in' trigger/hammer assemblies, which are good for the most part but, again, those are usually BCM or Spikes Enhanced LPKs and triggers and hammers.

The BCGs are usually something I pick up when I get an 'On Sale' email. I have BCM, Spikes, and even a LaRue. No Noveske or LMT, yet. I don't think I'm worth, what they charge.

I do wish Texas Black Rifle, out of Shiner, TX, was still in business. I bought one lower from them to build an AR for my wife. But she passed 7 years ago so I built my SBR .300 Blackout off of it.

Where I tend to 'skimp' most are the handguards. My go-to's were usually Leapers/UTG Pro, made in the U.S.A. but I've read some negative stuff about them, in the past couple of years. I'm really curious about how one brand can have a 15" M-LOK for under $100 and some others, over $300. And there doesn't appear to be a lot of difference in the online photographs. They all, essentially, friction-clamp around the barrel nut.

Last edited:

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Well, most of what I buy for myself is BCM (Bravo Company) for lower parts kits. I have bought a couple of Rise Armament 'drop in' trigger/hammer assemblies, which are good for the most part but, again, those are usually BCM or Spikes Enhanced LPKs and triggers and hammers.

The BCGs are usually something I pick up when I get an 'On Sale' email. I have BCM, Spikes, and even a LaRue. No Noveske or LMT, yet. I don't think I'm worth, what they charge.

I do wish Texas Black Rifle, out of Shiner, TX, was still in business. I bought one lower from them to build an AR for my wife. But she passed 7 years ago so I built my SBR .300 Blackout off of it.

Where I tend to 'skimp' most are the handguards. My go-to's were usually Leapers/UTG Pro, made in the U.S.A. but I've read some negative stuff about them, in the past couple of years. I'm really curious about how one brand can have a 15" M-LOK for under $100 and some others, over $300. And there doesn't appear to be a lot of difference in the online photographs. The all, essentially, friction-clamp around the barrel nut.

Sorry to hear about your wife. My BCM barrel is sub moa with the right loads. (about .9 moa) They make good stuff.

Browncoat

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    BRLA
    Sorry to hear about your wife. My BCM barrel is sub moa with the right loads. (about .9 moa) They make good stuff.
    Thank you... Most of mine have Ballistic Advantage barrels. They're good enough for what I'm trying to achieve. I may upgrade at some point but I'm not good enough to justify it. Yet... :asniper:

Browncoat

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    BRLA
    The ones I have, haven't. Not yet anyway.

But I did 'type' out of place. The UTGs I've got aren't 'friction clamps'.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels

Where I tend to 'skimp' most are the handguards. My go-to's were usually Leapers/UTG Pro, made in the U.S.A. but I've read some negative stuff about them, in the past couple of years. I'm really curious about how one brand can have a 15" M-LOK for under $100 and some others, over $300. And there doesn't appear to be a lot of difference in the online photographs. They all, essentially, friction-clamp around the barrel nut.
    If you want a real Texas brand, Sons of Liberty Gunworks in San Antonio are suppliers of top level parts. They spec out their parts very tight…quality stuff

Top Bottom