• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    Congrats on two points; for joining this forum and wanting to safely shoot your new AR-15 style rifle. The following is an article from the American Rifleman magazine for one new to this type of rifle. In the last two years there has been a tremendous increase in new gun owners and that's you. Welcome.

For forum members who have been shooting the AR-15 and/or M-16/4 forever you can take a pass. Nothing in article that you probably don't already know.
    DK Firearms

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Good article, but ignore the part about checking the position of the cartridge in the magazine to determine if the gun is loaded. Not all followers set the first cartridge loaded to the left. You should instead slightly pull back the charging handle about an inch, inch and a half to see if the chamber actually has a cartridge in it.

Make sure the gun goes back in to battery by either smacking the forward assist, or pressing the scallop in the BCG forward with your thumb

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Guess I should have taken a pass. I don't know anything now that I didn't previously know.

Just the fact that Beto wants to take them is a good reason for acquiring several.
    "Beto" is a stupid creep whose only claim to fame is his pretending to be a Mexican-American !

But democrats would vote for a "yellow dog" !

leVieux

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Good article, but ignore the part about checking the position of the cartridge in the magazine to determine if the gun is loaded. Not all followers set the first cartridge loaded to the left. You should instead slightly pull back the charging handle about an inch, inch and a half to see if the chamber actually has a cartridge in it.

Make sure the gun goes back in to battery by either smacking the forward assist, or pressing the scallop in the BCG forward with your thumb
    That laddie is known as a press check

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    This could be a good resource for new owners. Back when I was issued an M16a2 a very nice man instructed me how to use it, maintain it, and be safe with it. He had this really cool round hat.....
    Did he yell a lot?

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    >

I'm certainly no "new shooter" nor unfamiliar with the M16.AR15, but, I still need the basics reviews and more experience. Being a USA Reserve "medical unit", we were some of the last to get the Stoners, around 1972. We still had some M14's which worked very, very well. We were also getting the M92 Berretta type pistols, but I never wound-up with one. The Stoners were still giving problems and the .556 wasn't powerful enough to really knock-down the auto-righting (reset) range targets. I recall walking around and "un-sticking" rifle targets with a Python or .45ACP.

I bought an AR15 in September 2001, but it soon went home with our Marine and I didn't see it for another 18 years.

Although I do have an AR15 / 5.56 in my safe now, I really don't have much actual experience with them and appreciate the basic videos and advice here.

So, THANKS !

leVieux

Last edited:

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    Congrats on two points; for joining this forum and wanting to safely shoot your new AR-15 style rifle. The following is an article from the American Rifleman magazine for one new to this type of rifle. In the last two years there has been a tremendous increase in new gun owners and that's you. Welcome.

For forum members who have been shooting the AR-15 and/or M-16/4 forever you can take a pass. Nothing in article that you probably don't already know.
    From YouTube gun channels basic and for some advanced scoop on AR-15 use and setups;

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    Another basic AR-15 video showing parts and disassembly from 10 years ago. Lighting and closeup views better than many more current ones on YouTube.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Back to basic is the name of the article but show an ar that’s mall ninja’d out and don’t talk zero on irons.

It’s just another article.

Basics:
    It’s a semi auto rifle using a di system here’s how that works.

Should already have an understanding of safe handling and how cartridges work.

Here’s how you zero irons and optics.

Want all this other crap on your gun? Knock yourself out. You sob…

And that’s why I’m not an instructor.

Last edited:

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    "Beto" is a stupid creep whose only claim to fame is his pretending to be a Mexican-American !

But democrats would vote for a "yellow dog" !

leVieux
    Watch your mouth MISTER! I have a yellow lab and she is almost as offended as I am about being associated with Democrats! ;)

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Watch your mouth MISTER! I have a yellow lab and she is almost as offended as I am about being associated with Democrats! ;)
    <>

Our ‘’Beau the Dog’’:

Attachments

• IMG_4165.jpeg
      IMG_4165.jpeg
      487.6 KB · Views: 22

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Guess I should have taken a pass. I don't know anything now that I didn't previously know.

Just the fact that Beto wants to take them is a good reason for acquiring several.
    THE OP ESSENTIALLY IS JUST COPYING AND PASTING ARTICLE WITHOUT ANY INPUT OR DISCUSSION ON HIS PARTIMO IT PRETTY MUCH MAKES ANY THREAD HE STARTS A USELESS WASTE OF TIME OR EFFORT!

Top Bottom