• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tx_absurdist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2019
    Texas
    A while back I built an AR-15 9mm carbine and I absolutely love it. So I decided the next best thing: a .45ACP version. The build itself went the same but when I went to fire it at the range it kept having feed issues. What would happen is the round would hit the barrel and be compressed, rather than loading. After this happening six times I stopped shooting it.

What I considered doing was putting more of a taper on the end of the barrel, but I admit I'm not a major AR-15 (or rifles in general) guy. So before I did any permanent damage I wanted to see if anyone could advise me on possible issues.

The upper and lower receiver are by Angstadt arms, the barrel is a Faxon light tapered 16", the BCG is a Kaw Valley Precision, the buffer is a KVP 10oz, buffer spring was a KVP extra power but out of curiosity I put a .308 buffer spring in it and it seemed to help a little bit, and the magazines used were SGM Tactical 13 round and 33 round. The ammo used was Winchester, Federal, and Remington (all had the issue I'm describing).

If I can figure out how to load pictures I'll do so. Thanks for any help.
    Guns International

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    I had a similar issue with my 9mm build., that wouldn't feed into the barrel. I took the barrel off, the bolt out, removed the firing pin. Then polished the barrel feed ramp, the face of the bolt & the bottom of the bolt on my buffing wheel on the bench grinder. Cleaned & lubed them up...no issues since.

tx_absurdist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2019
    Texas
    I had a similar issue with my 9mm build., that wouldn't feed into the barrel. I took the barrel off, the bolt out, removed the firing pin. Then polished the barrel feed ramp, the face of the bolt & the bottom of the bolt on my buffing wheel on the bench grinder. Cleaned & lubed them up...no issues since.
    I'm fairly decent at polishing, so I'll give that a try and see what happens. What's throwing me off is that the round hits under where the taper of the barrel for the feed ramp even starts. I've heard quite a few negative things about SGM Tactical mags with their .45s (all my polymer mags are SGM and have never had an issue), so I bought an actual Glock magazine.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Definitely give the factory Glock mag a go.

Feed ramp would be the next issue to tackle. It probably isn't a polishing issue but the ramp may need to be lowered a bit.

Ammo may also be a concern. 230 grain ball/ fmj ammo is what you should test with. If it doesn't feed that it probably won't feed anything.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Ah, TaT isn't pulling up the pictures but web view does.

The rounds should be sitting with the nose higher. Probably a magazine issue.

Have you tried the Glock mag yet?

tx_absurdist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2019
    Texas
    I ordered the magazine last night. The AR has been down a while because I was fixing a friend's Remington 870 and refinishing it for him, as well as a few other little projects. I did notice on the rounds that fed just fine there was a notch dug into the head of the round, there were gouges from the ejector, and the rounds were all shorter than they started out as.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    I'm fairly decent at polishing, so I'll give that a try and see what happens. What's throwing me off is that the round hits under where the taper of the barrel for the feed ramp even starts. I've heard quite a few negative things about SGM Tactical mags with their .45s (all my polymer mags are SGM and have never had an issue), so I bought an actual Glock magazine.
    Mine was hitting the same areas as yours from your pics. Mine seemed to be more on the sides than the bottom of the feed face area. It seemed the polishing fixed it for me. The buffing wheel is the way to go.saves time. Had everything polished up in about 20 minutes.

Top Bottom