• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thequintessentialman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2015
    Can any of you suggest a good "paint by numbers" AR-10 kit for a first time build? This would be something for a green newbie. I've been going back and forth for a while now on buy vs build and have decided that I would like to build one if for no other reason than the knowledge it will yield. I'm looking for something not overly expensive in case I botch something but will still leave me with a decent build to expand on once I get it right. The understanding I have is that the 7.62/.308 parts are not as standard as the AR-15 and care has to be taken mixing and matching, hence the need for a kit.

thanks
    Guns International

Governors20

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Austin
    Buy an Armalite. The knowledge you will get building one is that you should have just bought one. The Armalite will most likely shoot better than the one you will build, and you can have it at the speed of a credit card swipe.

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    e3de4e7ee71f4c3700a3cf4a803c0e73.jpg

Look at the Areo Precision M5. I'm getting .5 MOA from mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Governors20

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Austin
    I put a Carrier weight in the bolt on my National match AR-10, and it made it the smoothest 308 ever. The carrier weight also delays the bolt opening so when I shoot suppressed, it cuts blow back by at least half. Unless their is just something missing in the AR-10 market that you just have to have, virtually all off the shelf 10's will shoot better than the average shooter. My NM AR-10 is stupid accurate out to 800 yards. The All Army guys can build or buy anything they want, and they use Armalite AR-10's. That might be a clue....

Attachments

• 10A4BNMF-1-large.jpg
      10A4BNMF-1-large.jpg
      8.1 KB · Views: 212
    • AR-10NMRight-side.jpg
      AR-10NMRight-side.jpg
      9.2 KB · Views: 242

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    If you're building yourself (which seemed to be just completely ignored) I would go with the DPMS lower AND upper, and make sure you get the same profile rail that you want for your hand guard. There is the most compatibility with the Gen 1 lowers, but I'd go gen 2 if it were me. Once you get upper and lower, get the right BCG and then it's pretty smooth sailing from there.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    If you're building yourself (which seemed to be just completely ignored) I would go with the DPMS lower AND upper, and make sure you get the same profile rail that you want for your hand guard. There is the most compatibility with the Gen 1 lowers, but I'd go gen 2 if it were me. Once you get upper and lower, get the right BCG and then it's pretty smooth sailing from there.

No it was not ignored. The AP M5 is a build. Your comment about matching upper and lowers is spot on.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    No it was not ignored. The AP M5 is a build. Your comment about matching upper and lowers is spot on.
    Sorry, wasn't referring to you and should have said mostly ignored. That was really the only difficult part about DPMS is they have low profile or high profile rails. Which isn't a big deal unless you want a complete level rail on top. If you're going round or no rail, it doesn't make too much about difference as long as you match lower and upper with a good DPMS compatible BCG. Everything else is very plentiful in parts.

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    If building an AP I'd go with all AP parts unless you want a different trigger or barrel. The AP is a DPMS pattern, but using their branded parts such as the upper, lower, bolt carrier group will save headaches. The DPMS and AP have the advantage of using Magpul magazines.

The two most dangerous places in today's world:
    1.) a gun free zone
    2.) your comfort zone

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    "Can any of you suggest a good "paint by numbers" AR-10 kit for a first time build? This would be something for a green newbie."

I will take what you posted literally. My advice would be (again assuming you are what you say) that you FIRST buy you gun, plenty of hard used out there that can be had for less dollars. But be aware of what well used is and is not. Stay away from guns for sale on forums unless you can get mano-mano with the seller to do a proper inspection. I looked at one down here in San Antonio and asked the guy again about the round count he had posted...told him I had seen fewer pits in Merle Haggard's face. Then the story became his Zero key did not work on his keyboard, 50 became 500, then he loaned it to his BiL who might have shot 5000 rds. Asking price went from $1200 to $600 in short time. Still not worth the money.

But you can find these things right priced in some local gun shops and give yourself some lessons on building that you would learn more from than starting from scratch. Scratch built can quickly turn into a exercise in futility as you have no baseline to begin with. A 'boat paddle' like this would provide you with a reference point and visible improvements and it makes a good mule for testing. Spend some time with that puppy and you will be ready to challenge a high end build and look for that sub moa world.

I like Armalite, this is my AR 10 build based upon it... Enjoy and let us know what you end up doing...

img_0633_med.jpeg

Lost Spurs

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    BCS
    I pulled this off over the last couple months. It was a mix mash of parts but it all went together smooth. I'll list the steps used to pull it off. My plan was for a SBR... on a budget.

1. Used complete PSA upper.
    2. Blem complete PSA lower.
    3. Bolt from AIM
    4. 12 inch handguard of the gunshow variety
    5. Hiperfire trigger (wanted a good one)
    6. The barrel was tough. It is not easy to find a short .308 barrel on the cheap. I ended up getting a 16 inch Anderson Manufacturing peg. I had my gunsmith cut it down to a length that just left the threads exposed for mounting a can with the locking mechanism opperatable. Ended up being 13.35". Topped that off with a crown job. Low profile steel gas block.
    ..... Toss out budget constraints .....
    7. Add ACOG
    8. Add Rugged Surge 766

Not counting the trigger, can or ACOG I was in for about $700. I was a exercise in patience waiting for blems and sales on said items. Add in a competent manufacturing FFL that does good work and it was smooth sailing.

uploadfromtaptalk1459991187210.jpg

e01209fec9d0b6a055c1491da06beb71.jpg

thequintessentialman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2015
    If anyone is still listening or interested, I finally bit the bullet. Because of price and lesser issues matching parts (and finding parts) I decided on an AR-15 build. I got an inexpensive A3 kit from PSA that consisted of a lower parts kit, minus the lower, and a complete upper. I got an Anderson 80% lower and a milling template from 80% Arms. I had a few newby mistakes with the milling but nothing that seriously damaged the lower; I did manage to shell out an end mill. The only big hiccup was after getting the lower completely assembled, I discovered that what I thought was a factory milled recess for the upper rear lug, was actually just a square hole and required milling. But I undertook this project to learn and that I did. Can't wait to recover a bit so I can buy part$ for another. I had gotten two 80% lowers in case I botched one so now I have to get more parts to complete it... :)

I appreciate all the discussion and comments. The "AR-10" is still on the bucket list though...

Thanks

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    If anyone is still listening or interested, I finally bit the bullet. Because of price and lesser issues matching parts (and finding parts) I decided on an AR-15 build. I got an inexpensive A3 kit from PSA that consisted of a lower parts kit, minus the lower, and a complete upper. I got an Anderson 80% lower and a milling template from 80% Arms. I had a few newby mistakes with the milling but nothing that seriously damaged the lower; I did manage to shell out an end mill. The only big hiccup was after getting the lower completely assembled, I discovered that what I thought was a factory milled recess for the upper rear lug, was actually just a square hole and required milling. But I undertook this project to learn and that I did. Can't wait to recover a bit so I can buy part$ for another. I had gotten two 80% lowers in case I botched one so now I have to get more parts to complete it... :)

I appreciate all the discussion and comments. The "AR-10" is still on the bucket list though...

Thanks
    Good on ya!

My next is gonna be a TAVOR X95

Top Bottom