• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AmazonWildman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2013
    Middle of nowhere, Texas
    My post is more of an inquiry. I have some astigmatism in my right eye and it's making me far sighted so I can't see normal blade and post sights too well anymore, but I can definitely use aperture sights. Anyways, my dilemma is such: I got a new Ruger 10/22 as a graduation gift and it has stock sights. The gun comes with a picatinny rail to mount on the receiver of the rifle. I put it on but I was wondering if anyone knew if I could just buy an attachable rear aperture sight and use the stock front sight without any problems or would I have to replace the front sight as well? Subsequently, if I did replace the front sight, would I need a special rear sight to mount on the rifle as opposed to just putting one on the rail at the back end closest to my face?
    Gun Zone Deals

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I went with NoDak Spud's NDS-26 peep sights for an Appleseed build. Since the bull barrel did not have a front sight, I purchased one of theirs to fit it.

My main reason in choosing that particular product was I liked the built in Picatinny rail which I have a QD mounted scope on most of the time.

You will find this one and their others about 1/2 way down the page.
    NoDak Spud NDS-22 receivers

NDS-26.jpg

(their picture, not mine)

AmazonWildman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2013
    Middle of nowhere, Texas
    I'm not really keen at putting this kind of sight on because of the color scheme on my rifle. It's a full GI Vista Camo with the barrel print as the same pattern. So I'm not really looking to change any of the hardware on the rifle body itself. I'm thinking more along these line. I have the supplied rail installed. Can I just replace the front sight and use any ole mountable rear aperture sight to shoot with or do I need a special kit with custom front sight and rear sight?

Dred

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Houston, TX
    y4a5a7u8.jpg

Williams also makes this peep sight shown on a rail design which replaces your rail. Mine came in black. I would suggest getting the zero lock tighted in, removing the rail and having it cerakoted in a cammo pattern to match. Houston Armory does cerakote work very reasonably. Their cerakote gut is very good.

The problem you are likely to encounter if you simply add a rear mbus is tuning it to the correct height. Without a taller matching front, you're going to have to aim for the dirt in front of your target to touch your desired POI.

Last edited:

Stumpy

Landman/Presbyterian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Slaton, TX
    I use Williams peep fire sights. I ordered the smallest aperture they make. I'm happy with it.

Sent from the mind of a genius. Forrealz.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    If the problem is matching front and rear sight heights and that's making it hard to find something to attach to the rail, you could look for a really low-to-the-rail rear sight. XS has their "Low Weaver Back Up" at the bottom of the page, here: XS Sight Systems - Sights

jrob24

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2013
    Plano, TX
    I have tech sights on mine and love them. Randomhero is right about the factory front sight being hard to remove. It helps a lot to use a vice+hammer+punch.

Top Bottom