• ...and so much more!
  • Ausländer

Yak Shaving
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2022
    New Braunfels
    I always see folks talk about how politicians are the biggest threat to firearms (2nd only to rust), but this isn't true. Apathy is our worst enemy.

I lived in Virginia and stood witness as most of the 'gun folks' ignored what was happening. They were always too busy to pay attention to local/state politics, to support VCDL, to write letters, to go to lobby day or even to vote. Some folks talked a good game, but always had an excuse when it was time to put up or shut up. Although it took a while, Virginia went from a solid state with a low cost of living, lots of jobs and a good record on supporting the 2nd Amendment to being a place referred to as Southern Maryland or Southern DC.

I taught classes and always encouraged people to pay attention. It was good when we had someone from Maryland (25 miles away) or even DC (~40 miles away) that came in for a class because they could talk about why they couldn't do that in their State. When we talked to people, we asked them to look into the VCDL, GOA, NRA (before Wayne destroyed it's reputation), whoever and told them that they needed to get involved - most didn't.
    Did lots of liberals from the NE move into VA? yup
    Did they continue to vote for the same idiots and policies that they just fled from? Oh yeah

What caused VA to fall (as was proven by the last election) wasn't just the transplants flooding the State. We had a great Lobby Day in 2020 with 40k+ people all showing up to support the 2nd Amed. when Northam and his ilk were doing a copy/paste of NY anti-self-defense gun laws at the local and State level. "It won't happen here" was very common to hear, especially after that day - until it did happen. Firearm owners throughout the state ignored the warnings even when the politicians on the left came right out and said what they were going to do. They ignored the money raised and the large gatherings of <insert left leaning group> who all received supportive TV, print and social media posts (something the VCDL never got). The next election the voter turn out was very low for our side, but not for theirs. Elections do have consequences - don't think that they don't. People got upset (except for the Fudd's), but even then it took years and several election cycles for people to get their act together and the message out so that people would take things seriously.

Time will tell if they fall back into that false sense of security (my guess is that they will), but I hope folks here take it seriously enough so that it never happens in Texas. It's very easy to lose what we have and once lost, you'll probably never get it back again.

Talk to your neighbors, co-workers, whoever about what's going on and stress the importance of talking with others, writing letters and getting out to vote. Just because someone is known to you as being on "our side" doesn't mean they'll get off the couch and actually do what's right. The other side is doing the same thing, but they are better organized (regardless of the jokes we make about them), know how to raise money, how to motivate their base and most importantly - how to get them to vote.

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    While I agree with you. Your dealing with two different breeds of people (left/right).

The left is organized because be default democrat voters are followers and betas where as a republican voter is typically independent and busy being responsible and taking care of things.

It's a lot harder to get busy, self reliant people together whereas a liberals loves to pool up and be told what to do.

If it's a paper war, we're screwed.

If it's a fighting war, God help them.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    What I have noticed is that many today are more self absorbed. You have short sighted people that think "if it doesn't effect me, why should I care?", never realizing that one thing leads to another. Others that only get their news from one source, never hearing the counter to a point.

Conservatives, by their nature, are more reactive than active. While the left, especially those that believe the government should see to their every need, are more active than reactive by nature.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    What I have noticed is that many today are more self absorbed. You have short sighted people that think "if it doesn't effect me, why should I care?", never realizing that one thing leads to another. Others that only get their news from one source, never hearing the counter to a point.

Conservatives, by their nature, are more reactive than active. While the left, especially those that believe the government should see to their every need, are more active than reactive by nature.
    I see the left as absolutely being the more reactive of the two groups. They go into a tizzy fit when anything happens that displease them and if there is nothing at the moment to displease them - they create it (they love, I think in fact live, to be angry). When it is one of their pet issues that has been affected they go on the march, or threaten violence or actually go out to burn down buildings, and even kill folks - much of which is fueled by the reactive rhetoric of leftist politicians who urge their followers on with reckless abandon such as Schumer threatening Kavanaugh and Gorsuch. Nw did Schumer plan things - sure he did but as usual it started by his reacting, in fact by him making overreactive terroristic threats I think, to a made up crisis. Being reactive is part of their culture - a big part - thus one of their favorite sayings is to never let a crisis go to waste and each crisis is something over which they almost immediately go bonkers. Their reactions are usually close to immediate after some event of which they take advantage, they may continue on after that but again it is still reactive because they only keep it going so long as they get media attention to which they then again react with continued protests. The leftist thrives in an atmosphere of chaos caused by their reactiveness.

I think that many, if not the great majority, on the right do not have the time to be reactive and fly off the handle each time something goes wrong. They have their lives planned out, have made plans for the lives of their family members, have planned for their education and later on for their careers, they also have planned by way of voting for the future of their country, they belong to group that have planned goals. Thus they have lives that are filled with achieving their goals by the way they believe is best possible. They are also proactive in how they handle social issues such as elections, abortion, religion, fighting crime, defending our rights (even the rights of those on the left), dealing with leftists' craziness, and trying to do good things for the country overall - to keep the future of America bright for their children and grandchildren. Does the left do this - yes they do but in a much more spur of the moment and reactive fashion - had they done it otherwise, I think more of their kids would have grown into law abiding respectful adults. On each side it is some not all of the folks who do the things I mentioned. There are also many in the middle or even far out in the extremes.

Every major thing I have seen the leftists do lately has been an overreaction to something. They go berserk (many of them and I think it has become the majority of them) over guns due to a school shooting, to a white cop killing a black perpetrator (no matter how heinous the criminal they overreact), to someone telling the truth as to a persons sex/gender, to their own made up lies about laws only being applied selectively and not to their pet groups. Thus they protested for rights, over the years gone by for special groups which under our Constitution already were considered rights of everyone in the country to protests specifically for LG, then LGB, then LGBT and now what - LGBTQI (which by the way stands for The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Questioning, Intersex community.

Edited to add: it has changed even beyond that, it is now, according to the Merriam-Webster dictionary: LGBTQIA which is "lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer/questioning (one's sexual or gender identity), intersex, and asexual/aromantic/agender"! They are so messed up they need to create new groups that they claim are being oppressed by the right and that is, in my opinion, a reaction to their dissatisfaction with themselves for not yet having been able to conquer the right, destroy the Constitution or change it to what they think they desire and is a reaction to them always needing to be angry and thus to get folks on their side, who are not already angry, to become so by way of inclusion in these preposterous groups of miscreants.

Then they reactively protest anything they can protest even if they have changed their tune about the issue from one year to the next or even from one day to the next (Did I already mention they enjoy being angry?). Things like Supreme Court Justices having an opinion about the law with which they do not agree (but which our current president certainly used to agree with), to a president defeating their chosen political goddess & then doing actual good for the nation (as when Trump was in and if their actions were not an overreaction nothing ever was). They react because they do not want to be part of society or cannot be (because they cannot cope or are possibly mentally ill or just brainwashed or maybe it's because they need to be angry) - at least they will not allow themselves to be part of a bipartisan, normal, liberty & freedom loving American society. They truly know nothing else than being antagonistic to their political and societal counterparts on the right and that makes them flip their lids incessently by angrily overreacting to anything with which they disagree or find fault with on the spur of the moment.

I believe that more folks on the right than on the left do not have time top react like that each time something happens that displeases them. So they are essentially forced to plan things and be proactive as best they can be. Because they use much of their time for more constructive things - like employment, raising their families, taking care of their homes & their vehicles, shopping (not shop lifting), obeying the law to a greater degree, attend religious gatherings, supporting what candidates for political office they believe are better for our country - they have very little time to have knee jerk reactions to every picayune thing that the left brings to a boil at the drop of a hat.

Now, don't get me wrong - it does not mean those of the left do not plan once they have a crisis handed to them (or create one of their own making) but reactions to so called crises are what they have tried to perfect as a political tool and as a method of mind control over the mouth breather masses who follow them. It's really like they need to have a temper tantrum everyday in order to survive in the world of leftists and a temper tantrum is nothing more than pure reaction to any stimulus that does not appease them. Them doing so will be self defeating in the long term because they will never appease themselves as not only are they intolerant of those on the right, they cannot stand themselves. They constantly seek ways to constantly change into something they are not as if angry with each other and with themselves on an individual basis,. If they ever gain total power, then sooner or later, they will become as are different sects in Islam - always at each others' throats.

I will readily admit that the left, it seems, is much more reactive than those on the right are proactive but that goes to levels of exertion not to which one is which - proactive versus reactive. Of course both sides do both, they react and act in advance but I just see the left as the masters of reaction or should I say of disgustingly abject overreaction.

Last edited:

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I’d like to add one more problem than just apathy.

Society has no interest because we have become complacent with lifestyle. All these fancy ass things we have don’t give us a sense of hardship. Older times with living in remote locations, no le at all to come save you; you’re going to need a rifle for everyday life! We don’t see that anymore...and I dare say we are living in a time crime is probably more healthy than its ever been.

All it takes is for the sheriffs department out here to have no interest, hire the wrong people, and you would be surprised how fast it would turn into a war zone between criminals and those of us just wanting some gosh dang quiet.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    We need to legalize deadly force for lower crimes.

Wanna throw trash out your car?
    Steal a bike?
    Party all the time?
    Sell drugs?
    Beat your ol lady?

108492750.yiEC44yI.IMG_0686.JPG

Top Bottom