DK Firearms

Anything to see or do between Temple, TX and Las Cruces?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    My neighbor took his kids to this place. Said it was really nice. It is a state park so a reservation might be needed. About 5 miles off I-10 just west of Ft. Stockton. Then there is Ft. Hancock where Red from Shawshank Redemption crossed into Mexico.

Fridays are lunch buffet day at the Sutton County Steakhouse in Sonora. Beat the oil field workers though.

I’ll second Balmorhea State Park. Have swim suits ready and get a reserved day pass ahead of time.

Then there’s an hour’s detour north of Van Horn to hit Guadalupe Mountains National Park for the highest point in Texas and another hour to Carlsbad Caverns. You can stay in Whites City or Carlsbad and avoid the commercial hog farms in Las Cruces. I also don’t recommend El Paso or Las Cruces for anything unless you want to experience the Biden Border Bazaar in person.

An north of Cruces is White Sands National Park and White Sands Missile Range and the WSMR Museum.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Fridays are lunch buffet day at the Sutton County Steakhouse in Sonora. Beat the oil field workers though.

I’ll second Balmorhea State Park. Have swim suits ready and get a reserved day pass ahead of time.

Then there’s an hour’s detour north of Van Horn to hit Guadalupe Mountains National Park for the highest point in Texas and another hour to Carlsbad Caverns. You can stay in Whites City or Carlsbad and avoid the commercial hog farms in Las Cruces. I also don’t recommend El Paso or Las Cruces for anything unless you want to experience the Biden Border Bazaar in person.

An north of Cruces is White Sands National Park and White Sands Missile Range and the WSMR Museum.
    Sutton County Steakhouse - is that the old Devil's River Bend cafe? Used to have an excellent chicken fried steak.

gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    The nicest rest stop in the country, Pecos County West Rest Area on westbound I-10 about 30 miles before Ft. Stockton. Watch out for snakes though.
    Thumbs up! It’s like Buc-Cees, gotta stop and see it!

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Best advice I have to give you is checkmark the "avoid highways" option on the nav software. It really means avoid the boring ass interstates. It'll route you along the state highways instead. Guarantee you'll see interesting things you'll want to check out doing that.

Obviously there's the caves in Carlsbad which are amazing, but there is a great zoo there as well. Worth checking out. Then swing through Lincoln National forest and have lunch in Cloudcroft. Checkout out White Sands on the way to Las Cruces.

1685109846731.png

Last edited:

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    When you leave Temple, go west thru the Hill Country. It really is faster and way better scenery.
    When are you going?
    Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

I was plan in on taking route 190 plan as far west as possible before it connects with I10…is that the route?

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I second the trailer and tire maintenance. It's usually over looked and has been parked all winter. The desert heat and long high speed stretches are brutal on trailer tires. With the amount of fuel used to tow a boat, would it not be cheaper/safer to rent a boat locally?

My buddy in CA bought it from another buddy in Austin, and the boat is stored in Temple.

So I’m dragging it out there.
    He paid $10k for he boat and shippers want $3500+ to take it to CA…I’m doing it for $2k, it offsets a lot of my costs for the trip.

Should be win-win unless the trailer takes a dump, and I told him I’ve got babies in the car so it’ll be left on the side of the road if that happens.

RoadRunner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2018
    Here
    Be SURE the wheel bearings on the trailer are greased!

We met up with my wife's cousin and cousins husband last Sunday in Terrell, they were pulling a trailer for the Run For The Wall guys during this years run. When they left they got just outside Terrell when they noticed a wheel on the trailer smoking, The bearings had been replaced a couple of months ago. Apparently the mechanic greased them using the grease fitting instead of greasing them individually by hand. We spent the afternoon helping Phil replace the bearing and making sure the others were greased.

Luckily they were able to catch up with the more or less 200 bikes in Monroe LA, where they spent the night. They made the rest of the trip to DC with no further problems.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Yes it is.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
    I got one question. Is it a go fast boat? :)
    If you’re into boats, ere’s some eye candy…I’m a mod on RDP, we sponsor Desert Storm at Lake Havasu every year. Many of the boats in this vid are owned by members…the cubic dollars some of these guys have is mind-blowing.

kirk10100

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2011
    El Paso
    Some pretty good places to eat here in El Paso and Mesilla and no it’s not a border bazaar.
    Great hiking in the area without having to go out of your way (Tom Mays State Park). Drop me a PM and I’ll throw some more recommendations your way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ioannes

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2019
    US
    Irma’s in Deming,NM. Right off the freeway. Good New Mexican-style food if you like it hot.

I went from Temple to Menard then down to Junction, passing San Saba and Brady. I don’t recommend it, too many hilly two lane roads. I’d just get to I-10 as soon as possible through I35/San Antonio. You can hit Black’s in Lockhart, Cabela’s in Buda and the Buc-ees in New Braunfels while you’re at it.

RIP your wallet.

Last edited:

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    I also don’t recommend El Paso or Las Cruces for anything unless you want to experience the Biden Border Bazaar in person.
    If you avoid downtown El Paso you shouldn't run into any illegals. Even downtown El Paso is not any worse than Austin. Just your everyday pan handlers in Las Cruces.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom