Lynx Defense

Anyone try the Philster Enigma concealment holster?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SrsTwist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2022
    Austin
    Ankle holsters and shoulder holsters are great for vehicle work.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Ankle holsters work with very small guns and long pants. They suck when you're not sitting down. Difficult to get to, long draw time, and more vulnerable to someone taking your gun from you in a grappling situation, especially on the ground.

Shoulder holsters are great for cold weather, where you can wear a jacket to conceal them. Contrary to Don Johnson supposedly concealing a Bren Ten under his sport coat in the 1980s Miami heat, they're not so great for the Texas summer months.
    Target Sports

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    Shoulder holsters are great for cold weather, where you can wear a jacket to conceal them. Contrary to Don Johnson supposedly concealing a Bren Ten under his sport coat in the 1980s Miami heat, they're not so great for the Texas summer months.

Seen plenty of shoulder holsters concealed well under a button-down shirt. Fit is key....

SrsTwist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2022
    Austin
    Seen plenty of shoulder holsters concealed well under a button-down shirt. Fit is key....
    What size guns? A shoulder holster is holding the gun right next to the thickest part of your body, the ribcage (unless you've been hitting the cheeseburgers and fries particularly hard). It's the most difficult place on the body to conceal a gun in my experience. I tried those shirts that are essentially an elastic shoulder holster built into a heavy t-shirt. I couldn't even conceal a J-frame revolver in those wearing an unbuttoned shirt over top of it. They print horribly. I'd have to see a shoulder holster concealing moderate size pistol under a regular shirt well to believe it.

Wudidiz

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 8, 2022
    Tomball
    What size guns? A shoulder holster is holding the gun right next to the thickest part of your body, the ribcage (unless you've been hitting the cheeseburgers and fries particularly hard). It's the most difficult place on the body to conceal a gun in my experience. I tried those shirts that are essentially an elastic shoulder holster built into a heavy t-shirt. I couldn't even conceal a J-frame revolver in those wearing an unbuttoned shirt over top of it. They print horribly. I'd have to see a shoulder holster concealing moderate size pistol under a regular shirt well to believe it.

In a shirt, shoulder holsters only hide well if your real fat and have big titties.

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    I have shoulder holsters for 5" revolvers, 5" 1911s and a SP01

SrsTwist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2022
    Austin
    I have shoulder holsters for 5" revolvers, 5" 1911s and a SP01

But do they conceal under a button-down shirt? Like I said, they're great with jackets.

And field shoulder holsters carry heavy handguns more comfortable than a belt holster. They also generally protect the gun better, especially if your pushing through heavy brush. I've read some ranch hands like them because they keep the gun up out of the way, preventing the gun from snagging the rope when roping.

Txhighlander

Truth against the world
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 25, 2021
    Atlanta Tx.
    How much car time do you have? My cure for the car is a snub nose under the leg, depending on what car you drive a holster by the seat when you are out of the car. That way you continue to carry your primary as usual.

SrsTwist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2022
    Austin
    How much car time do you have? My cure for the car is a snub nose under the leg, depending on what car you drive a holster by the seat when you are out of the car. That way you continue to carry your primary as usual.
    Car time = 10 hours every work day give or take, ~5:30PM to ~3:30AM. I do DoorDash food delivery. I'm in and out of the car constantly so that's not really viable for me. And I don't really have secure storage for a pistol in the car.

Txhighlander

Truth against the world
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 25, 2021
    Atlanta Tx.
    Car time = 10 hours every work day give or take, ~5:30PM to ~3:30AM. I do DoorDash food delivery. I'm in and out of the car constantly so that's not really viable for me. And I don't really have secure storage for a pistol in the car.
    Well happy hunting for something better, I haven't heard anyone who has had the holster system you are asking about. Hopefully someone will get you feedback soon.

SrsTwist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2022
    Austin
    Well happy hunting for something better, I haven't heard anyone who has had the holster system you are asking about. Hopefully someone will get you feedback soon.
    If I wasn't in and out of the car all the time...

car_holster.jpg

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    @SrsTwist it would help to know your body type / shape / size to recommend possible comfortable holsters.

For me, I cannot carry comfortably or conceal well at the 11 to 1 o'clock positions - I carry my pistol at about 2 o'clock.

I'm 6'4" 275, my weight carries mostly in the front, not the sides. I've got a natural pocket my gun tucks into. I'm toting a Walther PDP compact 4 inch with light and sight.

dMu3mPB.jpg

WEsUf1s.jpg

aoEYcbm.jpg

I do intend to get one of the Enigma setups to add to the arsenal. Would be nice to have more concealment options.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....

Ask and you shall receive.....

You can also try the Kangaroo Carry rig. I've had good luck with it, too.....

As I said, fit is key. You can't be wearing tight metrosexual shirts that flatter your man-bun with these....

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    But do they conceal under a button-down shirt? Like I said, they're great with jackets.

And field shoulder holsters carry heavy handguns more comfortable than a belt holster. They also generally protect the gun better, especially if your pushing through heavy brush. I've read some ranch hands like them because they keep the gun up out of the way, preventing the gun from snagging the rope when roping.
    Yes.

SrsTwist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2022
    Austin
    Have you tried any of the Trex Arms holsters? If I was trying to conceal, I'd be picking up one of these:

Personally, I just carry on the waist OWB and wear a vest or shirt out over it if I really care, otherwise I'm open carrying.
    That's almost identical to the Philster AIWB holster I already have.

So far as OWB, it's already hard enough to keep my pistol from printing with an IWB holster. And for reasons I've already explained in this thread I'd rather not carry on/behind the hip.

SrsTwist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2022
    Austin
    @SrsTwist it would help to know your body type / shape / size to recommend possible comfortable holsters.

For me, I cannot carry comfortably or conceal well at the 11 to 1 o'clock positions - I carry my pistol at about 2 o'clock.

I'm 6'4" 275, my weight carries mostly in the front, not the sides. I've got a natural pocket my gun tucks into. I'm toting a Walther PDP compact 4 inch with light and sight.

dMu3mPB.jpg

WEsUf1s.jpg

aoEYcbm.jpg

I do intend to get one of the Enigma setups to add to the arsenal. Would be nice to have more concealment options.
    From the pics and your description I'm about the same body type and pork level as you.

And yeah, one of the things that attracts me to the Enigma system is you can use it with beltless pants. It'd be a good rig for runners and other sportwear type uses.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    From the pics and your description I'm about the same body type and pork level as you.

And yeah, one of the things that attracts me to the Enigma system is you can use it with beltless pants. It'd be a good rig for runners and other sportwear type uses.

Depending on the holster - sometimes I need a foam wedge for comfort, sometimes the wedge makes it less comfortable. Have you tried wedges yet at all?

My main want for an Enigma is so I can still carry whichever gun I want, while wearing a tucked in shirt without any of the holster showing. I've got tuckable setups - but there's always *something* that still shows - usually a soft snap loop on my holsters. For years, when I was working the road as a tow monkey, this wasn't an issue. With my multi tool and flash light on the belt, black uniform pants and my mechanics type shirts, everything blended and it was almost totally unnoticed.

I don't do that anymore. My typicaly daily wear are cargo shorts / khaki shorts, and a button down outer shirt over a dry fit type t-shirt. When I need to go more business casual - slacks and a shirt, I'd still like to be carrying, without anything showing.

Top Bottom