Target Sports

Anyone selling their reloading services?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    I have a bunch of .223/5.56 , .30-06, .30-30 and 10 gauge shells. Is anyone close to the Houston or San Antonio area willing to sell their services to reload my brass for less than store equivalent?
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Target Sports

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I'm sure it's been said before, but just want to put it here.

It's generally considered unwise to trust another persons reloads. If they make a mistake it's your face that will pay the price.

Secondly, it's my understanding that accepting money in exchange for service will make the loader liable should anything go wrong. It's risky for the person doing the loading (even a problem not caused by ammo could have them on the defense) and that may make it tougher for you to find help.

Your better option is to provide the components and see if someone can show you the ropes for a few batches. You might decide to start rolling your own.

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    Your better option is to provide the components and see if someone can show you the ropes for a few batches. You might decide to start rolling your own.

Hadn't thought of that. Once I achieve that pipe dream of a clean garage I'll have an ammo factory going. Till then here I am haha

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Same with guns. I can lawfully work on your guns but only for free. Say swap a barrel on a AR15 but if you pay me to do so it’s a crime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    Rephrase: anyone willing to reload my shells for free and coincidentally find money dropped on the sidewalk?

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    For 35 (+) years I have reloaded for everything I shoot. I would never sell or give my reloads to anyone else.
    If I reload something and it goes bad and I get hurt, it is my fault. I would hate to think I made something that injured someone else. I am even reluctant to let my friends shoot my reloads while we are at the range.
    Save your money. Clean out a corner in your garage (it doesn't take much room). Buy a quality loading press and reloading manuals. The learning curve is not to painful, and the benefits are interesting.
    While my wife watches her reality shows, I spend a few hours in the garage producing ammo for future range trips. My wife and I have been married for 33 years. I guess reloading has played a large part in that "harmony". Out of sight, out of mind.

Seriously, unless you buy reloaded ammo from a responsible vendor (note: their reloaded ammo is close to factory when it comes to pricing) you are taking a big risk. The few dollars you may save doing so can be applied to your out-of-pocket medical insurance deductible when they sew your fingers back on or reconstruct your face.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    We loaded experimental rounds for our .458 Socom and .375 Socom experiments at the gun shop. No money changed hands, but we found the loads and subsonic loads that work perfectly for rifles, SBR's and suppressed firearms. We are dealing with a licensed manufacturer to have "for sale" ammo produced and we will custom box the ammo.

We also checked into getting a license to roll our own. All of the previous posts are correct about the requirements AND there is a Federal excise tax charged after a certain quantity of ammo is built. The Feds have their fingers in every aspect of commercial loading!

Flash

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    What everybody else has said...license and insurance. L-I-A-B-I-L-I-T-Y isn't something you want to deal with, as a handloader, unless you have the proper licensing and insurance coverage. I'm retired, not going to risk my house, land, guns, and almost everything else I own to pick up an extra $40-$50, or even a couple hundred bucks reloading for someone. I have taught and will teach others to handload, but their components and their hands on the tools.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    In no particular order, this thread brings to mind three points.

First...
    ...reloaded ammo from a responsible vendor (note: their reloaded ammo is close to factory when it comes to pricing)...
    In my experience, it will be much more expensive than factory. The only custom reloaders I know tend to specialize in rare cartridges.

Second, some custom riflesmiths, including one close to me, offer custom reloading as a part of their services. They'll build a high-dollar hunting rifle, work up loads, and even print the trajectory data on the stock. Basically, they do as much work for their rich clients as said clients are willing to purchase. However, they only do custom reloading for rifles they built.

Third and finally, I was going to suggest that the OP take a reloading class. However, I looked up the class schedules and was somewhat dismayed at what I found. There is just one NRA-certified teacher of Metallic Cartridge Reloading putting on just two classes in this entire state between now and the end of the year. Surely there's more demand for classes than that?

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    In no particular order, this thread brings to mind three points.

First...In my experience, it will be much more expensive than factory. The only custom reloaders I know tend to specialize in rare cartridges.

Second, some custom riflesmiths, including one close to me, offer custom reloading as a part of their services. They'll build a high-dollar hunting rifle, work up loads, and even print the trajectory data on the stock. Basically, they do as much work for their rich clients as said clients are willing to purchase. However, they only do custom reloading for rifles they built.

Third and finally, I was going to suggest that the OP take a reloading class. However, I looked up the class schedules and was somewhat dismayed at what I found. There is just one NRA-certified teacher of Metallic Cartridge Reloading putting on just two classes in this entire state between now and the end of the year. Surely there's more demand for classes than that?

Seems to be much interest in learning.
    Not so much in teaching.
    I'd be happy to mentor, but my home area is sparse on students.

Kosh75287

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Nemo
    Rephrase: anyone willing to reload my shells for free and coincidentally find money dropped on the sidewalk?
    LMAO! Thanks! I managed to read that, just as I was in need of a good chuckle!

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    "In my experience, it will be much more expensive than factory. The only custom reloaders I know tend to specialize in rare cartridges."

Surely you have gone to local gun shows where vendors are selling their reloads. I am not talking about custom loads, I am talking about everyday calibers (45 ACP, 9mm, 30.06, etc). This reloaded ammo is only a couple of dollars less expensive than factory ammo at retail prices.
    There will probably be at least three such vendors at the Big Town Gun Show this weekend in Mesquite.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Surely you have gone to local gun shows where vendors are selling their reloads. I am not talking about custom loads, I am talking about everyday calibers (45 ACP, 9mm, 30.06, etc). This reloaded ammo is only a couple of dollars less expensive than factory ammo at retail prices.
    Yes, you're absolutely correct.

I've seen some selling in white boxes and some selling in sealed baggies. Of all the ammo I've ever fed my sister's Glock 17, the only stuff that causes it to truly jam (that is, the slide locks shut and must be beaten open) is stuff that I bought from one of those guys.

I'm a slow learner. I've bought ammo from guys like that several times because the price was too low to pass up. The ammo has been crap. Every. Single. Time.

I now pass up those tables without looking and they never even enter my though processes. I don't consider them to be custom reloaders. I consider them to be half-ass operations where the guy running it got the bright idea one day that he couple scrounge range brass, clean it, stuff it with whatever consumables he could cheaply source, then call himself a "custom reloader," thereby making a couple of extra bucks to help cover his expensive hobby.

So, yeah, I'll grant that those vendors exist. I didn't list them because I had deliberately forgotten about them. I believe most people should do the same.

Just my opinion, of course.

PS - If someone is considering buying from the guy at the gun show with the 9mm packaged in baggies, I suggest they look into the brass swap programs offered by many legitimate ammo makers. Example: https://www.freedommunitions.com/brass-credit-program

mantawolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Lowry Crossing
    I know a NRA certified reloading instructor in Terrell. He does it more as people come into the shop to buy supplies and the conversation starts about reloading. He doesn't publish a training schedule.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    If you see anything from Dallas Reloaders at the gun shows, buy it with confidence. I have purchased 223 and 9mm from those guys with good results.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I know a NRA certified reloading instructor in Terrell. He does it more as people come into the shop to buy supplies and the conversation starts about reloading. He doesn't publish a training schedule.
    I don't know how it is for reloading instructors. I know that for pistol instructors, the NRA says that to hold onto your certification you must publish a class through the NRA Instructors Portal occasionally. They're a little loose on the details and while I could go into the details, that's not germane.

My point is that you're right. It's entirely possible that certified instructors are giving more classes than I can find. It would be nice if they would publish them through the NRA so that the general public could find them.

Top Bottom