• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Over the years it's become one of my favorite powders for gas guns. I mostly load 60gr and up with it for a few rifles, all with satisfactory results. I've never popped a primer and keep reading about how it tightens up near the top end. My current plinking load is 24.4gr under a Hornady 62gr btsp wc bullet ignited by wolf or cci srm primers. I've pushed this load only up to 25. I'm using sierras older service rifle data which shows their 63gr SP loaded up to 25.5.

At 24.5, 24.8 it didn't look much better than 24.4 but if there's a better node near 25.3-25.5 I'm curious to know if anyone here has found it. I'll most likely just batch out 10 ea at 24.9 and 25.2 that's s kinda where I left off anyhow. Still always nice to hear from someone who's been there and done that. Thanks for any contribution gentlemen.
    Hurley's Gold

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I finally got around to bumping this load up. I made 20 rounds at 25gr. 10/10 at 25.2 and 25.5. No pressure indicators for any of these loads but noticeably punchier than my 24.4 gr standard load. Across the same 3 rifles I tested a few weeks ago these all showed diminishing accuracy with the higher charges. Unfortunately my chronograph was on the fritz and I was unable to record speeds.

Overall though it goes to show you can't always trust the internet. So many had raved about better performance at the top end with TAC rifle. Although it may be true for others in a bolt action platform, for me it offered nothing in a gas gun that the lower charges couldn't do aside from a small gain in FPS. It's also true that my testing speaks exclusively to the Hornady 62gr bullet and my rifles but I'm not sure I'm willing to top out this powder in any other load either.

paknheat

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Texas, Somewhere near Palestine
    I have not tried TAC in any of my rifles as of late. I did try it in my .308 and could not get it to group well at all.

I eventualy gave the remaining powder to my friend who had a rifle that loved the stuff.

Top Bottom