• ...and so much more!
  • Lead Belly

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    GearWrench makes very high quality tools. I have a bunch of their stuff and not had issues. The locking angle ratcheting box wrenches have saved me a ton of time. I also like the serpentine belt kit for tight places. Icon from HoboFreight is also good to go.

Screenshot 2024-09-27 at 08-28-58 GearWrench locking angle box at DuckDuckGo.png

Screenshot 2024-09-27 at 08-30-41 GearWrench fan belt removal set at DuckDuckGo.png

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    I have really good luck with both new and old Craftsman tools.
    The market places are full of used tools so that's a huge savings and you'd be surprised what to find.

I think I have 3 sets of Craftsman tools. The largest was used for work and still gets used the most the others are convenience and travel / side job tools. I've never lost a 10mm socket but I have several anyway.
    My craftsman set is probably about 25 years old. A couple years ago I had a ratchet that broke. I called customer service and they sent me a new one. Tough to be unhappy with that.

gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    Doesn’t cover a lot of mechanic tools but this site does show where to buy American made tools

When I used to work with my hands, I bought Snap On, Proto and Thorsen tools, but that was when each namr meant quality. Nowadays I use throwaway tools because HF and others are just as good as the name brands

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    I'll pass on Craftsman. It's just rebadged Stanley tools and the warranty isn't the same as the old days. Here's a Craftsman wratchet with two teeth
    20230728_175522.jpg

and here is a Harbor Freight Icon. I'll let you guess wich one is stronger and smoother.
    20230728_172813.jpg

Nicholst55

Retired, Twice.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2021
    Houston Area
    As far as the big-name mechanic tools increasingly being made in China, I worked for MATCO Tools in the mid-90s. Every time we unwrapped new tools (every week), it seemed like there were more that were badged 'Made in China.' The mechanics wouldn't buy them back at that time, but it seems like everything is made in China these days - or very nearly.

Another brand that tends to be excellent quality is Wiss; they make excellent stuff, regardless of where it originates.

And on the subject of quality and China. A purchaser for a tool company told me that the Chinese have the ability to manufacture to whatever quality level that you specify - and are willing to pay for. The problem is that everyone wants top-drawer quality at garage sale prices.

G O B

School of Hard Knocks and Sharp blows
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Hays Co.
    Billings were the best tools ever. Now they are
    collectables. Same with Thor power tools.
    Nothing new with that kind of quality.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Doesn’t cover a lot of mechanic tools but this site does show where to buy American made tools

When I used to work with my hands, I bought Snap On, Proto and Thorsen tools, but that was when each namr meant quality. Nowadays I use throwaway tools because HF and others are just as good as the name brands

I am not sure that list is accurate.

alternative

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2023
    Texas
    I have a bunch of Milwaukee tools (all Chinese) which are pretty good and I have some pretty good Harbor Freight tools. I don't buy any expensive HF tools and have stayed away from their battery operated ones. Maybe not as good as my 50 year old Craftsman but for a home do it yourself person work okay. I have one of those Harbor Freight sledge hammers and no way can I hurt that thing.

Steve In Texas

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2023
    Austin, Texas
    Klein & Proto still make a good assortment of tools in the US and sometimes can be found well priced. Stanley bought Craftsman and sources all over. Stanley also owns Facom. Some of the European made Facom tools are awesome. Amazon and EBAY have made everything a global market now.

Milwaukee brand now is now bringing some of their production back into the USA. The parent company is foreign. The bulk of Channel Lock tools one finds are made in the US and well made.

I pick up used vintage tools second hand.

ILexpatriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2024
    Piney woods
    Knipex. Wiha. Wera. Milwaukee. Klein. Ideal. There are lots of good tools out there if you look. It depends on what type of tools you need, what you really want to spend, and how long you REALLY want them to last.

Top Bottom