• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • denit

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2020
    USA
    if they had a brain, they'd know how to not need a warming fire. At the most, they'd need to heat 3 big rocks for half an hour in front of a Siberian fire lay and then put them in pits under their raised wooden bed, covered with an inch of loose dirt. That will warm a small, sealed shelter by 20F degrees for 4 hours. All you have to do is bury some coals and a bit of charcoal in the ashes, set the cover over the fire-pit, have a trench around it vs snow-melt or rain and it will remain re-ignitable for 12+ hours. A double walled, debris-stuffed tarp lean to will let you sleep fine down to 0F, given all the clothing that they are allowed to have. By the time it's that cold, they'll have the 2 inches of snow needed to make an igloo. A properly made igloo doesn't need a fire or a sleeping bag down to -40F. You have to know, for both shelters, to make a 2x2x4 ft cold air sink-hole, half in and half out of the doorway, with a door flap made of two layers of tarp with debris stuffed between the layers. When you're up on the raised bed, in the "bubble' of air that's warmed by your body heat, you need a place for the cold air to be displaced-to.

This would save them an entire month's worth of time and calories over a 100 day challenge, which would have given dozens of them the win over the 7 seasons. If you keep a fire going 24-7, enough to really warm you, you'll burn a cord of wood every 3-4 days. That's lot of work you'll have to put in, just cutting logs to length to tae inside, splitting them so that they'll burn, etc. If you leave the fire outside, you dont have to cut the logs or split them. i'd walk a LONG ways and carry big rocks back to my shelter, in order to save all that work out in the cold.

denit

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2020
    USA
    I've LMFAO at guys who claim that I "cant" mix water with snow in order to make it pack enough to make a shelter out of it. I'd love to bet them a year's pay on it. Wth do they THINK happens in the atmosphere to make "wet" snow? :-)

denit

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2020
    USA
    there are no stoves on the list of gear that's allowed to be taken and you dont need or want a fire inside of your shelter, at all. It's a waste of time, fuel, a toxic gas hazard, and a pita, choking you on smoke, etc. When you know to take the 12x12 tarp as half reflective material and have clear material, and use the duct tape to make a sealed, double walled tarp shelter, using lots of dry, soft debris as insulation, you dont need the fire for anything but boiling water and cooking food.

denit

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2020
    USA
    i'd modify a Cold steel shovel to be taken down and re-assembled with out tools, same with the modified Crunch multitool. I'd make half a doze different lengths and types of handle for the E-tool. I'd add 8" of real saw edge to one side of the shovel-blade, cutting them in with an angle grinder, dremel and file. The Crunch gets a replacement carbon steel knife blade, a couple of real deal file blades (on fits the saw teeth). Convert the medium flathead to a gouge and scoop knife. Have a chisel end on the flat file blade. Conver the small flathead into an awl/drill, for making the mounting holes in the handles for the shovel.

I'd take the 2 lbs of pemmican and the 3 lb block of salt, as bait. I'd take the 1000 ft of 20 ga wire, with a few feet of it being copper electrical wire. and the big roll of duct tape. Then i could use the battery from the headlamp to start the one and only fire I'd need to make "from scratch".

I'd take the 24 fishhooks as the largest allowed. Then I'd cut them in half and re-forge their ends. I'd take a sewing needled bent into a hook shape as one hook, as Fowler did. :-) I'd use the duct tape to make the shelter air tight, to make pontoons for the outrigger raft, to make fire, to make water-tight bags for tinder and food. I"d take a slingbow, and take down arrows, so that I could always have my projectile weapon in my belt and so that I could use baked clay balls as 'ammo' for shots not worthy of an arrow.

I'd take the 12x12 tarp and the 2 person rope hammock. i'd unravel the hammock and unravel the rope, making 500 ft of netting out of it, leaving plenty of rope and cordage for other needs. I'd make 3x that much netting out of the 3/4 of the 20x20 tarp that I'd need for nothing else.

You have to catch several 100's of lbs of fish in the 6 weeks before the lake freezes up and then 200 lbs more fish thru the ice, using both nets and hooks. The fish give you bait for wolves, bears, etc, and and the strength to set the vertical jungle whips to brain big critters, baited in with salt.. You an also make a few 8-strand wire cable snares, to catch big ungulates by the foot, hooking them to 150 lbs of drag log(s).

Reinz

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    Question, when they say “pot”, how much are they talking about? And is it primo shit, or something from Doug’s basement? Oh wait, are they they talking about ... never mind.

denit

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2020
    USA
    I woudn't take one, anyway. It's a wasted pick. a 2 qt pot is much too small. You're forced to use it 4x a day, wasting 2 hours. Instead, make a couple of vine-baskets, line them with tarp and tape, Use them to refine workable clay out of shoreline mud. The clear, vertical side of the Kochanski tarp shelter lets you "aim' the one way, projected heat of a Siberian fire lay at it, from a safe 6ft away. Add the hot rocks under the bed and you can raise the temps inside of the tarp shelter by 70F degrees. So as long as you get a couple of bushels of mud to the shelter before it freezes, you can make 3-4 1 gallon cookpots, with lids, and a couple of sieve/ladles. put 5 ft long handles on the latter, so you can easily remove the ice shards from the net-slits in the ice, without getting wet. while you're at the pottery making, always make twice as many of each thing you'll need, cause some will crack when you fire them. You dont want to have to start all over again. While you're at it, make 100 clay balls for use with the slingbow.

denit

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2020
    USA
    The sleeping bag, saw, axe, gillnet, paracord, ferrorod, belt knife, cookpot are all either wasted picks, or very inferior picks to other, more useful items. When you dont waste a month on making a shelter and firewood, you dont need the axe and the saw. Without the handle, the Cold steel shovel is a pretty handy 'big knife", so the Crunch multitool is enough more of a cutting tool. Jordan, of season 6, butchered and skinned a good sized bull moose with a multi-tool.

denit

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2020
    USA
    there's no need to waste a pick on any sort of fire-starter. You can use the battery from the headlamp to start a fire, and then just keep some coals buried in the ashes. Also, while at home, you can sand the paint off of the ferrule and the back of the Cold steel shovel, and using a coating of iodine every few days, heavily rust it. When you launch, use the back of the Crunch's knife blade to scrape off the rust and get it safely stowed into its own little tarp-tape dry-bag. Rust is a fantastic accellerant for fire-rolling a 2x8" strip of you shemaugh. In half a day, you can make a big pump drill that will always give you flames, given the rust and the duct tape. A nest of thin tape strips ignites really easily. A little roll of tape burns hot and long, easily igniting some shavings and feathersticks in the center of an Alternative Swedish torch and then the torch will boil a gallon of water in a few minutes, or ignite the protruding ends of the logs of a Siberian fire lay. The slightest coal or spark will ignite a tuft of lint that's had some rust particles added to it. The lint is scraped from your shemagh, and when the lint flaresup, you drop it into the nest of tape strips.

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    1605306969656.png

denit

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2020
    USA
    Ive had years to think of this and a million $ prize as incentive, half a million left after SS and taxes. Then another 1/2 million in classes, vids, e books, ads, etc. :-)

denit

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2020
    USA
    I'm about the money. If you're serious about living off nature you're nuts to not have lots of netting, a rifle, night vision, passive IR scanner, bait, traps, cable snares, fish poison, bird lime and you'll have to move a lot, be in a very productive area, know where and when to harvest stuff, be able to preserve stuff, and probably still need to do some gardening.

Top Bottom