• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • picker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2014
    TX Hill Country
    That is accurate @ long range ?
    Better yet is there a manual out there specifically for 9mm, the Lyman I bought is good but covers a lot of territory I will never travel.
    best. Joe
    Guns International

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Can you tell me what bullets you want to use a and powders you already have?
    What is long range to you ?

I shoot a Glock 26 and 17 out to 50 plus yards a lot
    I can share what I use if that helps

picker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2014
    TX Hill Country
    Yes 50 yards would be good I don't have any powder or bullets yet, that's why Im askin I have a Beretta 92 and I want to stretch it out a bit maybe 80 yards or so.
    Best/joe

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Just for fun here's a video I did with a stock Glock 26

Glock 26 Range report: Glock 26 Range report - YouTube

When I get to my notes I will tell you what I loaded
    i know it was a Berrys plated 124 gr bullet and HP 38 powder though

Last edited:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Yes 50 yards would be good I don't have any powder or bullets yet, that's why Im askin I have a Beretta 92 and I want to stretch it out a bit maybe 80 yards or so.
    That's not long range.

That being said, anything past 50 yards will mean that wind drift will start to be a problem with lighter bullets. If you're doing lots of shooting past 50 yards, the 147-grain and heavier bullets are indicated. Try to work up to ~975 fps. Among the Hodgdon family of propellants, that probably means Longshot.

If you want to test out the need for heavier bullets, find a box of Fiocchi 158-grain factory loads and bring whatever fast-stepping 115s you might have on hand. Shoot both of them, alternating magazines, at targets 50 or 80 yards away on a windy day. The difference is noticeable.

Or don't take my word for it and just run the numbers on the JBM ballistics calculators page. At 80 yards, a 147 @ 975 will drift less than half as much as a 115 @ 1200. The difference is only a couple of inches but if you ever start going out to really long range, you'll need all the help you can get.

picker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2014
    TX Hill Country
    That's not long range.

That being said, anything past 50 yards will mean that wind drift will start to be a problem with lighter bullets. If you're doing lots of shooting past 50 yards, the 147-grain and heavier bullets are indicated. Try to work up to ~975 fps. Among the Hodgdon family of propellants, that probably means Longshot.

If you want to test out the need for heavier bullets, find a box of Fiocchi 158-grain factory loads and bring whatever fast-stepping 115s you might have on hand. Shoot both of them, alternating magazines, at targets 50 or 80 yards away on a windy day. The difference is noticeable.

Or don't take my word for it and just run the numbers on the JBM ballistics calculators page. At 80 yards, a 147 @ 975 will drift less than half as much as a 115 @ 1200. The difference is only a couple of inches but if you ever start going out to really long range, you'll need all the help you can get.

Yes you are right 80 yards aint long range for a pistol, I probally need to be shooting at around a 1000 yds [smile] and if I can find some loading data I can cast some 500 grain to take care of that damn drift...................Best/joe

PS Seriously tho, I don't think my old 67 year old eyes with open sights will shoot much farther @ 6 inch targets which is what I prefer, now if we are talking hitting a barn yeah Im probably good for 2/3 hundred yards[smile]

Last edited:

noylj

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2011
    arizona
    "Accuracy" and "long range" with 9x19 generally means 25 yards max and 3" minimum.
    Unless you have had your gun worked on by a very competent Bullseye gunsmith, you may find that long-range accuracy is NOT really feasible. The Bullsye shooters that are trying 9x19 (mostly the AMU) are using barrels with twist rates longer than 30:1.
    Manual with lots of load data: as mentioned above or Richard Lee's #2 Loading Manual.

picker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2014
    TX Hill Country
    MUCH bETTER 40 YARDS.jpg
    "Accuracy" and "long range" with 9x19 generally means 25 yards max and 3" minimum.
    Unless you have had your gun worked on by a very competent Bullseye gunsmith, you may find that long-range accuracy is NOT really feasible. The Bullsye shooters that are trying 9x19 (mostly the AMU) are using barrels with twist rates longer than 30:1.
    Manual with lots of load data: as mentioned above or Richard Lee's #2 Loading Manual.

That's good advice I may hafta get the Beretta 92 worked on just to see what it will do, shooting 40 yds now pretty fair and I certainly aint a good shot.
    Best/joe

Last edited:

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    If it were me, I would use the ladder method that precision rifle shooters use to develop loadings. Getting the OCW (optimal charge weight) can be critical to getting that last little bit of accuracy from your handloads. It takes time, precision, patience and of course money to do but in the end you find out exactly what is best for your individual handgun.

picker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2014
    TX Hill Country
    If it were me, I would use the ladder method that precision rifle shooters use to develop loadings. Getting the OCW (optimal charge weight) can be critical to getting that last little bit of accuracy from your handloads. It takes time, precision, patience and of course money to do but in the end you find out exactly what is best for your individual handgun.

Yes I agree and the reason Im reloading we all know saving money reloading is pretty much a myth ? I guess some folks smarter than me could save but I will just shoot more.
    best/joe

Top Bottom