Venture Surplus ad

Anyone have a favorite load for lead 30 carbine rounds?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I picked up a set of dies for 30 carbine, and plan to load some this weekend. I have a hundred lead bullets, and a hundred jacketed bullets.

If you have a favorite recipe, I would love to hear it. I've never loaded for these before.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I am interested also. Loaded up a few hundred 110 gr semi-jacketed around Christmas time and have yet to shoot any of them to see how they do. Keep us posted on where you go with this and the results.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Will do. Planning to load some this weekend.

I kind of expected a lot of posts on this. I thought we would have quite a few 30 carbine shooters. Wrong again.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I got the dies because herself likes to shoot her M1 Carbine more than all her other rifles combined. Getting her interested in reloading for it, but she has yet to spend time learning how to do it yet.

Did a bad thing this week in regards to that, showed her some press on the new 9mm M1 Carbine from Citadel that is coming out later this year. By then I hope that the ammo situation will be getting back to normal. At a MSRP of $500 that seems real reasonable. Probably have to get one of their wood stocked M1 Carbines in.22lr to hold her over until it comes out.

9x19-carbine-450x207.jpg

You will have to scroll down just a bit to see the piece on it.......
    Legacy Sports International - Shooting Reviews | Shooting Reviews

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I got the dies because herself likes to shoot her M1 Carbine more than all her other rifles combined. Getting her interested in reloading for it, but she has yet to spend time learning how to do it yet.

Did a bad thing this week in regards to that, showed her some press on the new 9mm M1 Carbine from Citadel that is coming out later this year. By then I hope that the ammo situation will be getting back to normal. At a MSRP of $500 that seems real reasonable. Probably have to get one of their wood stocked M1 Carbines in.22lr to hold her over until it comes out.

9x19-carbine-450x207.jpg

You will have to scroll down just a bit to see the piece on it.......
    Legacy Sports International - Shooting Reviews | Shooting Reviews

A 9 would be fun to shoot. I used to shoot a Marlin Camp 9. Cool little gun.

The 30 reminds me of the Ruger 10-22. They look alike in the safe. And not too far off from the Mini 14 either. I think my wife will like to shoot it too. No 30 cal yet at the Garland range. Soon I hope.

mikeofcontex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Midlothian, TX
    H110 or W296 are the old classics. NOT RECOMMENDING... but if memory serves, you'll run out of case before you run out of powder. As always, use a reliable source of loading data. There are several online.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    H110 or W296 are the old classics. NOT RECOMMENDING... but if memory serves, you'll run out of case before you run out of powder. As always, use a reliable source of loading data. There are several online.

Thanks Mike

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I am interested also. Loaded up a few hundred 110 gr semi-jacketed around Christmas time and have yet to shoot any of them to see how they do. Keep us posted on where you go with this and the results.

I looked around a bit and decided on a load. As usual, differing load data from every source.

I used 14.8g of H110 for the 110g semi jacketed bullets.

The Lee dies load sheet had 15 as max, but Lyman had 15.5 as max. I was trying to get somewhere close to the middle.

Didn't load the 115g lead bullets. Need to decide on a load for those still.

I'll give you a range report when I get around to shooting them.

What was your load?

mikeofcontex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Midlothian, TX
    Your lead projectiles carry some negatives. Even if very hard cast, full carbine loads are going to get them to a velocity where leading may occur. Without a gas check on the base, leading may be more prevalent. Since there is a gas port, lead can "leak" into the feeding system.

IMO... there is little to no benefit to shooting lead bullets in an M1 Carbine. Save them for your pistols. An alternative that will overcome the negatives are the half jacketed 100g "plinkers" from several manufacturers.

I'll be the first to say that I am no lead bullet expert.

Top Bottom