• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    With all the uncertainty in front of us, I've gotten a little more serious about daily supplies. Ammo, guns, and food are set. As far as water goes, I just have a few cases of bottled water on hand. I have a creek 150 yards from the house and my sister lives on the Leon River, so those would be my two sources. I'm considering this

Looks like it would provide enough water for my family as well as extended family if need be.

Question is..... Does this thing actually work, or is it just clear direaheah water?
    Hurley's Gold

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I have a number of lifestraws laying around, but I've never used one. I do, however, have a Berkey countertop water filter that I swear by.

I use it for drinking, cooking, ice, etc. Look up "Berkey" and read about it. I am connected to a small, rural, water system and I still run anything that goes into my body, water wise, through the filtration system. My tap-water often has a bit of sand in it, and is often over chlorinated, in my opinion. When you run it through the Berkey it comes out with zero chlorine taste/smell and is crystal clear.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I also thought you meant the original. I have the original lifestraws in glove box, backpacks, etcetera.
    I still prefer the Berkey for a countertop system, as it is made of stainless steel and has very easily cleanable and replaceable filters.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    If things get bad enough for me to have to use pond or creek water, I have a DIY filter system made of two five-gallon buckets and a ceramic "dome" filter I bought off Amazon. I think the vendor is called something like SHTF Supply?

Anyway, the idea would be to strain / filter any pond or creek water through several layers of cloth, then, put it through the five gallon bucket system, and finally through the Berkey. I might even boil it at some point in the process.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    That's where my skepticism is coming in. Pretty much all the water I'll need for $400? Seems a little to good to be true, but I'm seeing these being put into small villiages around the world so it has to have some merit.
    Technology has come a long way since the cow-pokes strained water from horsehoof prints through their dirty bandana!

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I have a number of lifestraws laying around, but I've never used one. I do, however, have a Berkey countertop water filter that I swear by.

I use it for drinking, cooking, ice, etc. Look up "Berkey" and read about it. I am connected to a small, rural, water system and I still run anything that goes into my body, water wise, through the filtration system. My tap-water often has a bit of sand in it, and is often over chlorinated, in my opinion. When you run it through the Berkey it comes out with zero chlorine taste/smell and is crystal clear.

I bought one of the Big Berkeys about 20 years ago.
    It's still in the box.

justmax

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    I am with @skfullgun on this. The original Lifestraws are good for what they are. I have several scattered around in all my kits, gloveboxes, etc.

When on the go and the time comes to fill canteens and bladders, forced reverse osmosis device is best. Katadye makes a good one that is fast and portable. I think they even make one for desalination.

As for base camp and home, Berkey is the way to go. Having a supply for several people for an extended period of time requires a different procedure to be efficient. @skfullgun laid out the procedure correctly.

5 gal buckets or 55gal drums. Run it through cheesecloth or better yet, coffee filter into the top unit. Add your iodine or chlorine here to kill any and all bacteria and viruses.

Your filters now will take out the dead bugs and any other chemicals that is supposed to.

Berkey provides a rather long list of critters, chemicals and compounds that is effective against. Look for a specific list from Lifestraw. "99.99%" is a little vauge for me. To me, that means 99.99 of what they tested.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    Make a DYI Berkey. I also keep Clorox around. Also keep a bag of plain charcoal around for a homemade filtering system . You can always ( and sometimes should) boil water.

lordmorgul

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2020
    Parker Co
    A Berkey in the Box at a mud hole is worth more than a fresh spring rain? Yeah buy one, yesterday.
    Then buy more filter replacements, for backup to the backup.

I have a few lifestraws but that’s the short term transitory product, same for sawyer filters. The lifestraw community is just scaling up a product not meant for long duration use. Get the berkey.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Robert Harrell
    Top Bottom