Military Camp

Anyone ever do a vinyl wrap, particularly on a motorcycle?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    I've been considering it for a while and finally searched some last night; looks like 3M 2080 may be what I want or could be they're just the most recognizable name so I'm all ears.

If you have any how-tos or know of good vids to link up I'd love to hear/see them. Maybe which tools are must haves and which you can do without.

I can get impatient so no illusions of completing it before a ride is needed. Figured I'd start with the fender or a bag and see how it goes.

20210308_145038.jpg
    Texas SOT

plinkr

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 18, 2019
    US
    I'm following with interest, have wanted to wrap my bike for a long time.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Tactical Panda

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2019
    DFW
    I’ve seriously considered doing this to my car, as a way of freshening it up without paying for a full paint job. A local company put a vehicle on display at a business expo. Looks and feels like paint.

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    I've never wrapped a car, but I've Plasti dipped a couple of cars and my boat twice. You can do some cool color or hypershift pearls for some cool color combos. I have 9 year old dip on my offroad truck and 4 years on my boat. Seems pretty durable.

Probably 6 to 700 including materials depending on what spray gun you get. I'll tell you all the mistakes I've made so you won't.

Last edited:

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    Not that this one is overrun with wrap info but feel free to start a plasti dip thread. ;)

Last edited:

PUCKER

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2021
    DFW
    All of my race cars have had full wraps (and still do)...from fairly plain to WOW!! If you want it to look professional...then hire a professional...friends have done their own cars...and it looked like they did it themselves...because...well, they did it themselves LOL!! You truly do get what you pay for. These cars either started life as body in white or else black (meaning basic unfinished panels).
    Wrap1.JPG
    Wrap2.JPG
    Wrap3.JPG
    Wrap4.JPG
    Wrap5.JPG
    Wrap6.JPG
    Wrap7.JPG
    Wrap8.JPG

PUCKER

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2021
    DFW
    The above one only lasted one race - the car's debut in Trans Am at COTA in 2018...Machavern drove from the back to the PODIUM / P3!! But the body was pretty destroyed...LOL...that's OK because after seeing the car on track I didn't like it...the gray blended in too much with the asphalt...

So, this is still my all-time favorite, a vintage / throw back livery...
    NewWrap-AlmostDone1.jpg
    NewWrap-AlmostDone2.JPG
    NewWrap-AlmostDone3.JPG
    NewWrap-FrontEnd.jpeg
    NewWrap-InProgress.jpeg

Attachments

• TA2-GT2-13-a.jpg
      TA2-GT2-13-a.jpg
      825.6 KB · Views: 72
    • TA2-GT2-13-b.jpg
      TA2-GT2-13-b.jpg
      670.5 KB · Views: 85
    • TA2-GT2-13-c.jpg
      TA2-GT2-13-c.jpg
      824.9 KB · Views: 72
    • TA2-GT2-13-d.jpg
      TA2-GT2-13-d.jpg
      682.8 KB · Views: 73

PUCKER

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2021
    DFW
    As good as it looked it was only for a year...and then backing it into the wall under bridge at T17 at Sebring...and that big hole in the side pretty much put the nail in the coffin...(that was from Sebring too)....at Daytona a few months before the front end got pretty messed up when a douchebag turned into me at 167 mph....that was almost very ugly...
    AfterRace-Front.jpg
    AfterRace-Rubbing1.jpg
    AfterRace-Rubbing2.jpg
    CurtVogt-23-Dummy.jpg
    Flying.JPG
    Grass-n-Grill.JPG
    Infield.JPG
    Side-By-Side-59-11.JPG
    IMG_2417.JPG
    Sebring-Rear.jpg

PUCKER

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2021
    DFW
    Current livery...and a HUGE fan favorite...(wonder why? LOL)...but it's about to get redone as well...

Here's who I've used in the DFW area (I've also used Print Labs in Minneapolis when the car was based there):
    -360 Wraps
    -Metroplex Wraps

For the next livery I'm going with a racing buddy's shop: Corsa Werks. He does really nice work on cars, motorcycles, 18 wheelers, etc....

2020 02 07-8262.jpg
    2020 02 07-8373.jpg
    2020 02 07-8410.jpg
    2020 02 07-9567.jpg
    2020 02 07-9594.jpg
    2020 02 07-9685.jpg
    2020 02 08-2244.jpg

Attachments

• 2020 02 08-2261.jpg
      2020 02 08-2261.jpg
      1.7 MB · Views: 77
    • 2020 02 08-2287.jpg
      2020 02 08-2287.jpg
      1.4 MB · Views: 79
    • 2020 02 09-6699.jpg
      2020 02 09-6699.jpg
      1.5 MB · Views: 74

PUCKER

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2021
    DFW
    And you can get your helmet wrapped too...a lot less pricey than paint...I've had this wrap for a few years and it's holding up really well. We only use helmets for a max of 5 years anyway...
    StiloGT5-13.jpg

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    Current livery...and a HUGE fan favorite...(wonder why? LOL)...but it's about to get redone as well...

Here's who I've used in the DFW area (I've also used Print Labs in Minneapolis when the car was based there):
    -360 Wraps
    -Metroplex Wraps

For the next livery I'm going with a racing buddy's shop: Corsa Werks. He does really nice work on cars, motorcycles, 18 wheelers, etc....

View attachment 266418 View attachment 266419 View attachment 266420 View attachment 266421 View attachment 266422 View attachment 266423 View attachment 266424

Your cars look really slow. You should let me drive one to verify that it’s fast.:popcorn:

PUCKER

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2021
    DFW
    Your cars look really slow. You should let me drive one to verify that it’s fast.:popcorn:

LOL...if only you knew...right after I bought my 2nd race car I didn't use my 1st race car as much - one of my track day buddies was wanting to go w2w and get his competition license...we went to the PRI Show, got him all outfitted with the necessary safety gear...he was used to tracking his Z06 (Ron Fellows edition, built up, he's a very good driver)...I put him in the car...once we got him in, head and neck restraint on, harnessed in, window net up...he went blank..."radio check, radio check...anyone home??" Silence...I waved my hand in front of his helmet to get him back to reality...he gathered himself up and went out and did a few laps..."um, my stomach doesn't feel so well....um, I told the wife I'd be home soon for dinner..." Well, that was that. It's not for everyone. My father in law is always talking smack about how good of a driver he is - I would just laugh it off (he's never been on a race track, nor in a race car)...finally I had enough...so I said "OK, let's get you in the car....show me...." Yeah, he stopped that LOL...

So, if you're serious about driving/racing, get a comp/racing license - show me your resumé and we can get you set up with a test...I think it's ~$6K for the day (prices may have gone up), depending on the track - it would be the team's house car, it's nice. It's based out of WI, not too far from St. Paul. Brainerd is 3 hours away, around 5 hours to Road America (I think we hit 160-165 mph there).

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    LOL...if only you knew...right after I bought my 2nd race car I didn't use my 1st race car as much - one of my track day buddies was wanting to go w2w and get his competition license...we went to the PRI Show, got him all outfitted with the necessary safety gear...he was used to tracking his Z06 (Ron Fellows edition, built up, he's a very good driver)...I put him in the car...once we got him in, head and neck restraint on, harnessed in, window net up...he went blank..."radio check, radio check...anyone home??" Silence...I waved my hand in front of his helmet to get him back to reality...he gathered himself up and went out and did a few laps..."um, my stomach doesn't feel so well....um, I told the wife I'd be home soon for dinner..." Well, that was that. It's not for everyone. My father in law is always talking smack about how good of a driver he is - I would just laugh it off (he's never been on a race track, nor in a race car)...finally I had enough...so I said "OK, let's get you in the car....show me...." Yeah, he stopped that LOL...

So, if you're serious about driving/racing, get a comp/racing license - show me your resumé and we can get you set up with a test...I think it's ~$6K for the day (prices may have gone up), depending on the track - it would be the team's house car, it's nice. It's based out of WI, not too far from St. Paul. Brainerd is 3 hours away, around 5 hours to Road America (I think we hit 160-165 mph there).

I just wanted to get a reaction!

That would be amazing to drive one of those cars but I’d be better off on a huge skid pad so I couldn’t smack a wall and tear the car up. I think I’d have a huge smile just from flexing the gas and hearing the car roar.

PUCKER

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2021
    DFW
    I just wanted to get a reaction!

That would be amazing to drive one of those cars but I’d be better off on a huge skid pad so I couldn’t smack a wall and tear the car up. I think I’d have a huge smile just from flexing the gas and hearing the car roar.

Well...I'm all about promoting the sport of performance driving...AND...racing! I'm a member and instructor out at Eagle's Canyon Raceway (Decatur, TX - about an hour N/NW of Ft Worth), we have our own driving school that starts off with street cars and then graduates into a racing school with race cars - and culminates with a racing license...the final details are still being worked out...we also have our own race series for Spec Miata and Spec Boxster...it's a great place. You can bring your own car or rent one of the track's cars for our monthly Saturday programs (Intro to Performance Driving as well as Advanced Performance Driving). It's how I got addicted to track...did a track day and got HOOKED...! No regrets!

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    Well...I'm all about promoting the sport of performance driving...AND...racing! I'm a member and instructor out at Eagle's Canyon Raceway (Decatur, TX - about an hour N/NW of Ft Worth), we have our own driving school that starts off with street cars and then graduates into a racing school with race cars - and culminates with a racing license...the final details are still being worked out...we also have our own race series for Spec Miata and Spec Boxster...it's a great place. You can bring your own car or rent one of the track's cars for our monthly Saturday programs (Intro to Performance Driving as well as Advanced Performance Driving). It's how I got addicted to track...did a track day and got HOOKED...! No regrets!

Very Cool! I’ve always thought it would be neat to try out something like SCCA. There’s a local group that rents our church parking lot. They bring out anything from project cars built in their garage to high end exotics. Looks like a lot of fun.

PUCKER

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2021
    DFW
    Very Cool! I’ve always thought it would be neat to try out something like SCCA. There’s a local group that rents our church parking lot. They bring out anything from project cars built in their garage to high end exotics. Looks like a lot of fun.

Definitely give it a shot! They make newbies feel very welcome - they'll explain the process and help you.

Top Bottom