• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Watchdog

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio
    I was told I would be living very close to the San Antonio Target, Hunting and Fishing Club but there really isn't anything on the web about them. Just curious if anyone here is familiar with them? Since I am moving to SA, pretty much will either work from home or travel out of state for work, I am not going to have a lot of opportunities to "make friends" besides I work in the education field which is rarely a firearm friendly world.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    The one on Hausman Rd? I've been by there during a skeet shoot, but don't know much about it. I'd give them a call (210 696-9079).

Otherwise, just being a member on this forums gets you some of the best friends you can have in this city! Seriously, come out to some of the pre-gun show breakfasts or even one of the area shoots and you'll have more new buds than you'll want!

By the way, where will you be working? I ask because I know a professor at Trinity University who specializes in the psychology of firearms usage; so all academia here isn't as liberal as you might think!

Cheers! M2

Watchdog

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio
    Thanks! I am familiar with "hunting for ammo" I have played that game for a while now too. I ran a handgun course in Feb and had to trade/beg/borrow with lots of people to get the 600 rounds of 9mm I needed. Course was great, but that entire process sucked. I enjoy fishing and am looking forward to living closer to water and areas to do that.

fgarcia3441

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    SA (Sea World Area)
    Thanks! I am familiar with "hunting for ammo" I have played that game for a while now too. I ran a handgun course in Feb and had to trade/beg/borrow with lots of people to get the 600 rounds of 9mm I needed. Course was great, but that entire process sucked. I enjoy fishing and am looking forward to living closer to water and areas to do that.

If you kayak, medina lake is great right now for fishing.

single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    Welcome to San Antonio. You'll like it here.
    I tried to go to that club once, unfortunately they were closed on that occasion.
    I have since heard that they are only open one or two days a week.
    It seems that they may only offer trap shooting. Definitely worth looking into.
    The National Shooting Complex isn't too far from there either.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Watchdog

When are you getting to SA? If you're here by 18 May, allow me to formally invite you to the Premier Gun Show and breakfast beforehand!

By the way, your user name makes me think of Tock from my favorite childhood book, The Phantom Tollbooth...

Tock.jpg

Watchdog

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio
    Thanks everyone. I won't be in SA officially until Memorial weekend. I will be living in the neighborhood called Parkwood. I have been to SA a few times, I spent a week there in early April. We are looking forward to a new adventure, though moving all my stuff is not a fun thought. As far as where I work, I work for a private company based out of Austin, we build programs for very high need special education students. So we have a bunch of schools in AZ and do some work in TX but we don't have any of our schools. I do a lot of behavioral work and program development, so I travel to other states. I also teach graduate courses here in AZ and hopefully can pick up some work in TX with UTAustin or similar.

Watchdog

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio
    Watchdog

When are you getting to SA? If you're here by 18 May, allow me to formally invite you to the Premier Gun Show and breakfast beforehand!

By the way, your user name makes me think of Tock from my favorite childhood book, The Phantom Tollbooth...

Tock.jpg

Great book. I will see if I can make that my avatar as is if not maybe someone with some graphic skills can crop and modify it for me.

As far as my name, my grandfather used to say "as a dad you have to be the watchdog== look mean, sound mean, and if necessary be mean, be a terror even, but always be able to be soft at the drop of a hat- that is truly being a dad". Not sure why it always stuck with me, but it did.

357sig

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2013
    Helotes TX
    They are open for trap shooting on Thursday nights, in good weather & during DST only, beginning about 5:30pm. Shooting stops at 10:00. Their annual trap tournament will be on August 17. Anyone can enter, 5-person teams @ $35/person.

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    They are a private club and I talked to one of their members a while back and as I recall the annual fee seemed reasonable. They have open matches every Thursday (trap or skeet) and require members to work a certain number of those a year and require the members to cut the grass a couple times a year. I never followed through because of my work schedule.

They have a club house but I'm unsure if they have a rifle or pistol range. I suspect they do not.

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    I don't recall seeing either a pistol or a rifle range when I was there, but that was a while back...

I think they may have had one there at some point before the area got built up because I read an article by someone who was testing some ammo or something in a long gun at the club (it was mentioned in the article). I remember thinking that it was cool that they had a rifle range.

The satellite picture still shows 3 berms at different distances.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom