• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Not sure it would work. But, if ya had enough coyote pelts. If you could tan them, then sew them together and have a nice soft blanket. Not sure if that would work, but would be neat.

Seen pictures. It works.

Probably takes considerable skill to make a nice one. But passable and made by your own hands is often more rewarding, imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Still roaming the internet and scavenging as much information as possible. Probably going to start making notes for different situations.

For pelts that will not be immediately flashed: The animal should be skinned as soon as possible and frozen. If there is room and the pelt won’t be in the freezer for too long it should be frozen flat. Skin side in if the skin was rolled off, if the belly was cut up the middle then folded in half. For longer stays in the freezer it should be rolled to help prevent freezer burn, but rolling will slow the freezing process. Don’t rinse before freezing since the water can work in to the pelt when thawing and cause the hair to slip.

If the pelt will be fleshed immediately but stored before tanning skin side should be heavily salted with non iodized salt. Let stand 24 hours. Clean away and salt again for 24 hours. Salt must be worked in to all areas. If any areas aren’t fully dried after 24 hours repeat the salting. Then store in cool, dry place out of sunlight. Before tanning the pelts will need to be soaked until pliable, than squeeze out as much water as possible (do not wring dry). Then it can be stretched and tanned according to directions on tanning solution.

If pelt will be tanned immediately after fleshing then it should be stretched and left to dry with good airflow until it’s nearly dry but still pliable, then begin the tanning process.

It seems a lot of the conflicting info I find results from different timelines and storage for the pelts going from skinning to tanned. Some of the above is probably not completely correct, maybe roughly accurate. Trying to pull a lot from memory after reading on tons of forums and websites. Plan to go through again making notes as I go.

Definitely going to be some trial and error involved. And it’s also a process that requires a good bit of time and work to achieve good results.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Most meat processors don't tan hides. Even the ones that process deer during hunting season. They sell the hides to specialty companies. Just like all the bones and stuff they can't sell.
    There really isn't that many places that tan hides.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Most meat processors don't tan hides. Even the ones that process deer during hunting season. They sell the hides to specialty companies. Just like all the bones and stuff they can't sell.
    There really isn't that many places that tan hides.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    And the tanners are in Oklahoma.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    When searching through taxidermy forums most of those were sending off the skins and pelts as well.

They’d do basic prep working of skinning and fleshing, then ship them off to be tanned.

Seems small scale tanning is a dying art. Makes me that much more interested in learning how to do it.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I had a hide tanned at a taxidermy shop. $110 for a doe hide. Took about 6 weeks or so to get it back.

digger

Curmudgeon
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    West Texas
    I tried some cow hides years ago. The place I sent them for tanning wanted them fleshed, salted and dried before sending them in....after a couple I decided I could buy them from Dusty at El Paso Saddle cheaper and a lot less work!!!

Top Bottom