ARJ Defense ad

Anybody reload blanks? .308 blanks to loaded ammo that is.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I have a pile of fired .308 LC blanks and am trying to decide what to do with them. They came with M60 links also.

Has anyone cut the crimped bullet end off and used them to load ammo? Are there any problems with doing this?

I am an experienced reloader btw so minor issues are not a problem. I just want to be sure that these are regular cases with extended necks. I have no experience with these blanks.

I don't really need more .308 cases though. I also don't need blanks. Maybe I will just link them back up and hang them on the wall.

Any other ideas on what to do with them?
    Gun Zone Deals

Rottweiler

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Hill Country
    I've heard that blank brass is lower quality than live ammo brass. Could lead to case ruptures when loaded. That was enough to stop me from doing it about 10 years ago. Your mileage may vary

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    So what guns in .308 do they make those golf ball launchers for????

(might figure out how to do it for my 5.56 as those blanks are getting hard to find.)

yooper_sjd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Christoval
    I have done 300 rds of Blank to reloadable ctg. I opened the end up, dumped powder out and trimmed down to reloading size, ran thru full body sizing die, and checked to see if it need trimming again. The blanks i worked with were Austrian. the brass a bit thin on the neck, but reloaded well and it was also boxer primed. After shooting thru my CETME, i had a few necks that split, and the flash hole was alittle small and pulled the decapping pin out of my lee decapper from getting stuck.

But seeing you are working with an american manufactured ctg, I would dump poweder, decap primer and cut in half to see how thick the brass was. I would also recommend annealing the case neck as well. But if you want to get rid of them blanks, I would be happy to take them off of your hands. The powder in a blank is a pistol/shotshell powder.

The NATO blank cartridge (7.62x51) DODAC A112 for rifle, A111 (linked) Propellant: Type ........................ SR 8231
    Weight ..................... 15 gr

Info obtained from TM 4-0001-27 ARMY AMMUNITION DATA SHEETS SMALL CALIBER AMMUNITION FSC 1305

as I have said, i will be more than happy to take these off on anyone's hands.

Tech Military Standard Data on small arms ammo can be found at: thebiggerhammer.net

Last edited:

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Most of them are fired. I would guess about 100 but don't know for sure. I only have 6 that are unfired and still linked together.

I just picked them up the night before I headed out of town so I haven't tumbled them or anything.

Josh Smith

Smith-Sights LLC
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Wabash IN
    Convert them to 45ACP brass or 45ACP ratshot.

Potentially a REALLY bad idea. The brass was never intended to be used at 50,000 PSI. You may end up with a face full of shrapnel.

I've heard that blank brass is lower quality than live ammo brass. Could lead to case ruptures when loaded. That was enough to stop me from doing it about 10 years ago. Your mileage may vary

This, this and this.

It might be OK for .45acp brass. I wouldn't try making .45 Super from them.

Regards,

Josh

Top Bottom