• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    I need a couple dozen pieces of brass sized and some bullets seated for some paperweight/desk ornaments I want to make for some friends. Already have the brass and cleaned it in the stainless tumbler. I plan to fill them up with sand then seat some 750gr Amaxs. Ought to make for a good conversation starter in the liberal cesspool that is Austin.
    ARJ Defense ad

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I do, but probably a little far off to be of much help.

If you don't find someone local I'd be happy to take care of it if you want to ship them.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Dang you are on up there. Might have to drop em in the mail then. You think I could seat the bullet in my rock chucker? Ive got my 458 dies thatll let the bullet go way on up in there and I dont need the shellholder since its not going to have any resistance coming back down.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Would the assembled round fit inside the press?

You might be able to do something like that if you back the die out far enough and use the walls of the die to push the bullet. I've never seen it attempted, but should work in theory.

Would be a lot cheaper sending just the cases than cases, bullets, and filler.I have quite a few case too. Could probably just resize some and send them too you and you could give it a try. Might not be real pretty cases, I never worried too much about the looks and milsurp brass doesn't start out real pretty.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Yeah I dont normally concern myself with making it look good but in this case Id like for the brass to stay nice and shiny long term. Need to see what people do to preserve the bling.

If youve got 20 laying around I might be interested in just buying them from you. If seating them doesnt work out my wife is going to Dallas for the CMA awards next month and I could just have her drop them off with you to seat the bullets.

I tried to tell the wife that I just needed to buy a 50BMG so Id have the dies for this project but she didnt see it that way lol.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Yeah I dont normally concern myself with making it look good but in this case Id like for the brass to stay nice and shiny long term. Need to see what people do to preserve the bling.

If youve got 20 laying around I might be interested in just buying them from you. If seating them doesnt work out my wife is going to Dallas for the CMA awards next month and I could just have her drop them off with you to seat the bullets.

I tried to tell the wife that I just needed to buy a 50BMG so Id have the dies for this project but she didnt see it that way lol.

Just buy the reloading equipment to make the dummies, then use that investment to justify the rifle :laughing:

From what I've found, polyurethane or some other form of clearcoat is the best way to prevent it from varnishing. I got a case being used for the chain pull on my living room ceiling fan. Plan to drill out a bullet when I get a drill press someday.

I'll look through my cases and see if I have some that could be polished up nice. Maybe a lemon juice soak or something to remove the staining.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Have you tried putting a bullet in a case as is yet?

You really don't have to resize the brass completely for paper weights. You just need them to hold the bullets in. Some type of glue will do that and help to avoid some hassles if the fit is close.

To keep them purty spray them with clear gloss laquer or sealer.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Just buy the reloading equipment to make the dummies, then use that investment to justify the rifle :laughing:

From what I've found, polyurethane or some other form of clearcoat is the best way to prevent it from varnishing. I got a case being used for the chain pull on my living room ceiling fan. Plan to drill out a bullet when I get a drill press someday.

I'll look through my cases and see if I have some that could be polished up nice. Maybe a lemon juice soak or something to remove the staining.
    An M107 with can will be in my safe some day. One of the guys brought his 29" to our shoot and it was awesome.

FB_IMG_1425397668996_zpsqm0wxs3k.jpg

My stainless tumbler does a pretty good job of cleaning stuff up. Ive got a couple cases Ill do a test run with.
    Have you tried putting a bullet in a case as is yet?

You really don't have to resize the brass completely for paper weights. You just need them to hold the bullets in. Some type of glue will do that and help to avoid some hassles if the fit is close.

To keep them purty spray them with clear gloss laquer or sealer.
    I dont have the bullets yet. Wanted to make sure I could procure resized brass before buying 45 bucks worth of bullets.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I mentioned getting a can once. LG didn't like the idea, said she like having the muzzle blast.

I kinda felt the same.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    The muzzle blast is awesome but wears people out who are shooting with you. When Im shooting long range its usually like in the picture above. A dozen or so of us lined up. You can see my rifle set up at the end, when my buddy cranked off a round without the can I had snow all over me and me ear ringing even with ear plugs in. We all shoot suppressed(except the 1919 of course) so we dont have to wear ear pro. Plus I like cans so theres that.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Yeah, I can see it being an issue in a situation like that. I don't usually shoot mine near any groups except at Hicksville.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I shot the Barrett 99 I had at a few different covered ranges. It knocked ever loose piece of dust or crap off the cover every shot. Not exactly what you want to happen when you shoot.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I shot the Barrett 99 I had at a few different covered ranges. It knocked ever loose piece of dust or crap off the cover every shot. Not exactly what you want to happen when you shoot.

I've only shot under a covered area once, the concussion bouncing back from the roof gave me a headache. I only shoot in open areas now.

Top Bottom