• ...and so much more!
  • Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    HKaltwasser said:
    This right here^^. (from other thread thats ALSO on suvival/freeze dried foods) Wise foods I've tried are funky, Backpacker's Pantry was even better. Mountain House and then Augason Farms for me. I even prefer most MRE's over Wise foods and I have a few buckets left......yep extended family would get that stuff :D.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    I looked at Augason Farms food site and the ready to eat cans of stuff appear overly large (I possess zero knowledge about prepper food) but, once opened are they for say a family of 4 or so?

Again, I know diddly about survival food, but wouldn't canned tuna or sardines or hell, I don't know, Spaghetti O's be less costly and as as tasty, if not more so? Or campbells soup and wolf brand chili? And a whole bunch of other canned foods.

They come in smaller size cans too which seems like an advantage over big cans, but what do I know...nothing about this subject, but a claim of a shelf life of 25 years seems an amitious, if unproven (I think) claim.

Heck, a can of Spagetthi O's will probably last into eternity given the preservatives in them....the juice could probably be used as formaldehyde to prep a dead body........

Mohawk600

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    I looked at Augason Farms food site and the ready to eat cans of stuff appear overly large (I possess zero knowledge about prepper food) but, once opened are they for say a family of 4 or so?

Again, I know diddly about survival food, but wouldn't canned tuna or sardines or hell, I don't know, Spaghetti O's be less costly and as as tasty, if not more so? Or campbells soup and wolf brand chili? And a whole bunch of other canned foods.

They come in smaller size cans too which seems like an advantage over big cans, but what do I know...nothing about this subject, but a claim of a shelf life of 25 years seems an amitious, if unproven (I think) claim.

Heck, a can of Spagetthi O's will probably last into eternity given the preservatives in them....the juice could probably be used as formaldehyde to prep a dead body........
    canned goods (beans, peas, soup, sardines, tuna.....etc) have a finite shelf life and an expiration date due to the moisture content.

Dehydrated foods have no moisture so can be kept for decades. (I am trying to figure out which is the best).

The advantage of dehydrated vs. canned also comes down to an issue of space. A 10 day supply of dehydrated food for one person can easily be stored in a 5 gallon bucket. Not so with canned goods. Dehydrated foods also weigh much less than canned goods.

If you want to stock even 5 years worth of sardines, tuna, and spaghetti-os........be my guest.

But you will have a problem with rotating your stock every 2 years or so to keep it in date and will also have a transportation problem if you need to take your stash with you.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Mohawk,

All excellent points, but if you're in my 'longevity stretch' and say at the most, ones personal longevity is another (being wildly optimistic, but we're blue skying) 10 years, wouldn't tuna/sardines/spaghetti o's be adequate?

Oh, I've eaten without illness canned this and that over 10 years old and that was waaaaay back...so...

Mohawk600

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    Mohawk,

All excellent points, but if you're in my 'longevity stretch' and say at the most, ones personal longevity is another (being wildly optimistic, but we're blue skying) 10 years, wouldn't tuna/sardines/spaghetti o's be adequate?
    given the variety and excellence of freeze dried food.......no.....i would hate to be living on tuna, sardines, and spaghetti-o's.

but that's just me

Mohawk600

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    Mohawk,

Oh, I've eaten without illness canned this and that over 10 years old and that was waaaaay back...so...
    your canned goods will only last so long and have to be constantly rotated...or else lost.....why not buy some good stuff that you don't have to worry about expiring? Its less weight....better vittles.....and if it lasts longer than you do....your heirs get an emergency food supply.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Mohawk,

Only 2 years of shelf life for tuna-roona?

Sigh.

OK, I'll buy some freeze dried, but the little experience I've had with freeze dried was, shall we say, a bit 'diminished' in taste and was quite pricey.

What about dried pasta/legumes/rice?

Similar to freeze dried...add water and boil.

Or, are these items likely to go south or be eaten by bugs/rats, etc. beyond 2 years?

For me though, all of this is moot as I'm getting so long in the tooth I'm not really 'concerned', but sure, I'm interested.

Maybe, I'll stock up just for my loved ones should they (as in survival movies) make their way to place, finding me and 'she who must' dead, but thoughtful about helping them with all sorts of survival food and goodies, if TSHF........

P.S. as of me posting this, I'm way past my 'shelf life' as longevity isn't part of my DNA. My Dad croaked at 58, Mother a bit better at 78, but for the most part, most relatives die in their late 50's.

Mohawk600

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    Mohawk,

Only 2 years of shelf life for tuna-roona?

Sigh.

OK, I'll buy some freeze dried, but the little experience I've had with freeze dried was, shall we say, a bit 'diminished' in taste and was quite pricey.

What about dried pasta/legumes/rice?

Similar to freeze dried...add water and boil.

Or, are these items likely to go south or be eaten by bugs/rats, etc. beyond 2 years?

For me though, all of this is moot as I'm getting so long in the tooth I'm not really 'concerned', but sure, I'm interested.

Maybe, I'll stock up just for my loved ones should they (as in survival movies) make their way to place, finding me and 'she who must' dead, but thoughtful about helping them with all sorts of survival food and goodies, if TSHF........

P.S. as of me posting this, I'm way past my 'shelf life' as longevity isn't part of my DNA. My Dad croaked at 58, Mother a bit better at 78, but for the most part, most relatives die in their late 50's.
    I am not trying to disparage the value of canned tuna and sardines......I love them both. I am just trying to explore "better" ways to bank survival food. IDK how old you are but I am 50.......so 30 year shelf life seems about right

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

Mountain House seems to be the best tasting IMO. I have several of Augason 30 day 5 gallon buckets that come with the water bottle filter. I think it was potato soup and oatmeal that I tried from one of these buckets. So my tasting was pretty limited, but I'll dig into some more this week to post feedback on them.

The soup was pretty decent and I've never had oatmeal from any one of these companies that was very good so......

Last edited:

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mohawk,

Yeah, I just tossed several cans of salmon,tuna, and sardines. I can eat expired stuff just fine, but I didn't have the sack to toss back old fish . The thought made my stomach turn.

I think people have to figure out what works for their lifestyle, personal situation, and their intentions with this food. After ten years of just rotating canned food, I've decided it takes too much room and time to store it all and I end up wasting too much.
    Now we just store MRE's, rice, beans, and freeze dried foods.

One thing to consider on FD foods, is the amount of water it takes to re-hydrate your food. You have to make sure you have plenty of water for those emergency situations you may encounter, fortunately I have that covered many times over.

Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    I just ordered some of these two weeks ago and wanted to pass it on to y'all. I haven't tried the stuff yet, but it seems like a pretty good deal. No meat is included though.
    10.00 for 72hr kit and free 2 day shipping. https://mypatriotsupply.com/pages/72-hour-food-supply-kits-10-dollar-special
    Been there done that. Bout the same quality of Wise Foods. Just a semi crunchy bowl of mush.

Keep ya alive in a pinch. Not even in the same class as the top shelf stuff.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Mmmmmm.......ok.......might try something just to see......seems like Mountain House is the way to go though.
    Yes..MH is good
    I also bought food from Freeze Dry Guy years ago under the lable
    Saratoga Farms that is very good

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I’m just starting to look into this...but it seems that high-protein dehydrated food is considerably more expensive than food with little or no protein.

Is that way you guys are experiencing as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I’m just starting to look into this...but it seems that high-protein dehydrated food is considerably more expensive than food with little or no protein.

Is that way you guys are experiencing as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Absolutely. And the prices on all MH items are on the rise. I went heavy on items like Chili Mac w/beef, rice and chicken, beef stroganoff, beef stew, vegetable stew w/beef, and spaghetti w/meat sauce. I purchased all of those for under $30 per #10 can about 5 years ago.

Another good product is the Ova Easy whole egg crystals. Lots of protein there. Pricey tho.

At the time, I found the best prices for MH freeze dried products at The Ready Store.com and Emergency Essentials. Amazon is more expensive for the most part, but you can find a deal there every now and then.

Most of mine is in the #10 cans. You don't have to use the whole can right away. Being freeze dried, it will last several days after opening without refrigeration.

Edit: Actually, after looking here, Amazon seems to have better prices especially when you consider their free shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=mountain...902119&tag=googhydr-20&ref=pd_sl_7ucihrii2x_b

Last edited:
    Top Bottom