• ...and so much more!
  • smschulz

Paid for CUT
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Specifically Rust Blue.

I have used many of the cold blue formulas from Brownell's, Vans, Blue Wonder... etc. They do work ~ but just not as durable. Great for touch up and some small parts.

I do want to re-blue my Rem 870 receiver and don't want to get into the hot bluing or send it off (at least for now).

Any got good results from Rust Blue ~ I got a bottle from Brownell's to try. I heard the results can be pretty good. Just looking for some tips.

:1zhelp:
    Lynx Defense

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    Both rust blueing and nitre blueing are really quite simple, don't need a lot of expensive equipment, and are well within the realm of the small shop/home gunsmith. Most of the people who tell you otherwise are setup to do hot salt blueing, and don't want to loose the business.
    Here is an older single shot .22 LR, old enough to be pre GCA '68, with no serial. Not a great picture, but cleaned up and reblued, by rust blueing.

Second picture is a rebarreled '96 Mauser, rust blued.

Attachments

• DSCF0024a.JPG
      DSCF0024a.JPG
      60.7 KB · Views: 240
    • DSCF0004.jpg
      DSCF0004.jpg
      63.3 KB · Views: 251

chubbyzook

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    houston
    ive blued the slide on an old xd that someone tried to polish and it came out great and the blue didnt fade the whole time i had the gun. the guy i sold it to couldnt even tell it had been reblued till i told him.

Libertarian_Longhorn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    With cold blue, I always let it set for a week then let it cure under a heat gun for 10 minutes. I've only done this a couple times and it's worked, but I've heard great things about parkerizing as well; check it out.

thorkyl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Brazoria County
    The DVD is the "training video" on how to do it.
    A friend bought it and I watched part of it.

The one thing I learned from it is I would rather just send it back
    to the manufacturer to be re-blued

Now, I do have an old rifle that every year I coat it with a light
    layer of 15w30 and hit it with a propane torch.

It makes a colorful bluing but does not last worth a damn

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    If anyone is in the austin area and has a hot blue setup, or wants to teach me their bluing method... I would be greatful. I reblued two .22 rifles and they turned out better than I expected. It was cold bluing and I really really had to work them to get them as dark as I wanted.

I have some shotguns I would love to re do some day. However they are expensive guns and I do not even want to risk messing them up or them even coming out anything but perfect!

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    My local smith told me Rust Blueing is superior to tank blueing and he has his own tanks so I would assume he's right. I was told thats what my old FN was rust blued and it still looks good after 50 something years, he also said alot of your highend gun builders are going back to rust blueing over tank blueing cause looks really good and seems to last longer.

Top Bottom