• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gringogigante

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2009
    Richardson
    I woke up from a nap a little bit ago remembering a couple of guys at my church talking about how easy a four seater Cessna is to fly. I've always wanted to get my pilot's license but never did.

Here's the problem: I'm 6'7" and built like a tank (played ball my whole life), and I'm curious if I can even FIT into a Cessna or similar small airplane.

thoughts?

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    You can fit in a 182.
    It best way to find out is call your local strip and ask if they will take you up on a fun flight.
    They strap you in, take off and land and most times let you fly straight and level and gently bank for a bit.

robin303

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    Austin
    Cessna has what you call a "Discovery Flight. Get in your yellow pages or web and find an airport close to you and ask if you can sit in a Cessna 172. I like Cessnas alot because of the high wing which is nice to look down. The FAA Part 141 says all you need is 40 hrs. 5 hrs of night. If you are serious about this let me know and I will let you know about the do's and dont's. Your First Flight

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    I'm a flight instructor in the San Antonio area... shoot me a PM and I'll see what I can help you with

R

wrtanker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2009
    Ft. Worth
    I'm 6'2" and have no problem with head or leg room. Shoulder room is a little bigger problem if you're broad shouldered (or beefy). You'll still probably fit but it might be a bit cozy with your co-pilot.

B17-FE

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    SE TEXAS
    Yep ... C-182 would be the way to go for your situation.
    If you are serious, you should make sure you have no issues with the physical (read medical) exam required.
    Good luck !

Fisherman777

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    When I was about 10 hours into my training, I switch to a little Cessna 150 that my instructor owned because it was cheaper to rent. I payed for a block of 10 hours. Even cheaper. Well, I'm 6'4" and he had the head liner and seats redone and they didn't do such a hot job so I couldn't lower the seat and my head was always in contact with the roof. I felt like I was wearing the thing instead of riding in it. Neat little planes but when the 10 hours were up, I switched back to a 172 to finish up. Took me around 50 hours because of all of that switching around. I had to make a precautionary landing during my checkride (not hitting real good on a couple of cylinders after take off) and continue when it was repaired.

But it is pretty easy to just fly around but there's a lot more to learn so you can do it safely. I used to tell people it cost me $75 to learn to fly and close to $3000 to learn to land! LOL Do it! You'll have a blast!

Top Bottom