Capitol Armory ad

Any of you miscreants into 3d printing(topical, trust me)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dead Roman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2019
    Pearland
    The Ender 3 is a great little system. I've done some very minor upgrades to mine, and it works great. I'm tempted to pick up an Ender 5 next to help speed up multi part prints.

A glass bed and a can of hairspray is the best mod you could do for one.

I did the glass bed. Printing the housings for rpi now. I think the next big mod will be the silent board and bl touch.
    Gun Zone Deals

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    The Ender 3 is a great little system. I've done some very minor upgrades to mine, and it works great. I'm tempted to pick up an Ender 5 next to help speed up multi part prints.

A glass bed and a can of hairspray is the best mod you could do for one.
    Should someone new getting in just skip the 3 and get a 5? Is the 5 plus worth $200 more?

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    "it depends"

If you're just fartin' around, the 3 is fine. The 5 is more stable being it's a cube, and can print faster because the bed is only moving in one axis. On the 3, the bed moves the Y and Z axis, on the 5 the bed only moves Z.

Dead Roman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2019
    Pearland
    "it depends"

If you're just fartin' around, the 3 is fine. The 5 is more stable being it's a cube, and can print faster because the bed is only moving in one axis. On the 3, the bed moves the Y and Z axis, on the 5 the bed only moves Z.

Are you talking about the leveling? Cause the bed on the 3 inly moves on the y axis.

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    I did the glass bed. Printing the housings for rpi now. I think the next big mod will be the silent board and bl touch.

Lol. I’m printing the second half of the rpi housing myself so I can tinker with that project this weekend.

My ender 3v2 came with a glass bed and it’s nice. Sticks pretty well, but I still use some Magigoo here and there. You really need to let it cool before trying to remove items. Once it gets below 30c stuff comes off easy. However it does scratch.

Have a BL touch kit, but it’s not as cool as I thought. Every once in a while it doesn’t work, but the machine still starts to print. It also managed to bend a probe somehow. Took it off and went back to simply doing the manual level routine. So far so good.

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    Really liked Fusion 360, until the 1 year free trial was gone, then didn’t like the yearly fee to keep using it, it was a little steep for just a hobby.
    It's still free for hobbyists, just requires you to reup. They did make some changes for what is available for the hobbyist for free

sparkyv

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Deepinnaheartta, Texas
    While I have a great intrest in 3D printing and have at least a dozen ideas I want to try, but anymore I just dont have the energy to learn how to CAD.
    I have an Ender 3v2 that Ive been tinkering with. About to add OctoPrint so I can connect directly from my computer vs using the micro SD card. I’ve also taken up learning Fusion360 so I can design my own stuff.

Wife laughs at me. Work all day on CAD and my down time is spent learning a new system. Oh well I’m a geek.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    While I have a great intrest in 3D printing and have at least a dozen ideas I want to try, but anymore I just dont have the energy to learn how to CAD.
    I rarely print anything of my own design. When I do, I use Tinkercad since it's like the PlaySchool of CAD, it's free and online.
    Most of the things I print, I go to thingiverse.com and download the STL file. Sometimes I tweak it on Tinkercad.

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    I rarely print anything of my own design. When I do, I use Tinkercad since it's like the PlaySchool of CAD, it's free and online.
    Most of the things I print, I go to thingiverse.com and download the STL file. Sometimes I tweak it on Tinkercad.
    Meshmixer is free and a good addition to your 3d printing toolbox

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Beyond working well for these 3D printers, will any of these CAD programs save any of the files to a .dwg format? And/Or can any of these programs use a 2d .dwg file and convert into a file compatible with these printers?

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Tinkercad is great for very simple things, I've used it a lot. It's when you start trying to design complex stuff that you have to go to a more professional CAD system.

Dead Roman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2019
    Pearland
    ad3b7c6f2594ae93c9679c85b867e2ff.jpg

This one is ready to rock.

Top Bottom