• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Are you military? If so, Camp Bullis is nice but it's only open to DoD ID card holders and only on the weekends.

Blackhawk in Atascosa is nice as well, but their range set-up is a bit odd to me. The targets are all aligned, and shooters move back to whatever distance they want to fire from. Everyone is spaced out to keep things safe, but I don't like seeing people in my peripheral vision when shooting.

I still don't like the Bullethole, but if you must go there definitely get a private bay and don't shoot on the public line. Back when I went there, safety violations were commonplace and the owners really didn't seem to care; now I hear they are overly-enforcing everything but I can't confirm that as I still won't shoot there. Bracken has gotten a similar reputation, as does Cedar Ridge (both on the NE side of SA).

Also steer clear from Texas Thunder Range on Bandera (next to Texas Guns). It's expensive and you have to use their ammo. Bass Pro has an indoor range, but you have to make an appointment as well as check in your firearms at the door to the store.

Cheers! M2

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Cedar Ridge in Bulverde. If you can get there during the week, W-F, you will most likely have a section of shooting bays to yourself. They like to spread people out when it's possible. There are no R/O's and the only time you will see staff is if they are setting up someone else on the line your on.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    +1 on Cedar Ridge, but you have to surrender a form of personal I.D. and take a range safety briefing/test.

Bracken Community Range is my go-to range because of distance. Once the range staff thinks you are competent, they will leave you alone and even chat when they call a cease fire to change targets.

Cedar Ridge charges one rate for all the guns and ammo you wish to shoot. Bracken charges for every firearm you want to shoot.

Cedar Ridge charges for every shooter. Bracken charges only by the number of guns, not shooters.

Both have peculiar hours, so check their websites.

KELEKONA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2013
    Texas
    I recently went to A place to shoot. They were super friendly and let us do our thing. I had a lot of fun, would definitely go back.

jbayless71

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2014
    San Antonio
    I drive out to Dietz Range in New Braunfels. It's a bit of a drive, but the place is less crowded and there seem to be fewer clueless folks present than at some of the urban ranges, so it is a bit more relaxed. It's just $10 to shoot all day, all positions. No per-gun fee, no per-table fee, and you put up your own targets during cease-fires. It's very much a country range. Range officers there are all pretty cool -- one of them is a nice German fellow who represented Germany in Olympic shooting (during the 1980s, I think). If you carry out any sort of Mauser or Swedish/Swiss rifle, he'll have some nice comments about it.

Went to Cedar Ridge once; found their attitude at the desk condescending and never went back. It was pretty new back then; maybe I should give them another chance.

Bracken is my go-to spot for testing individual guns or if I just want a quick range trip. It's a bit claustrophobic, and the range staff can seem gruff. However, they do a great job of policing the range -- this is a must, because there are often a lot of new gun owners there. Their setup is also conducive to recovering pistol brass if you're into reloading. Do NOT go there on the weekend of a gun show -- utter craziness. The owners are friendly once they've seen you a few times.

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    I've been to every public range in and around SA. I prefer Dietz over all of them. You can head up 281 to 46 and travel east to range road. Or 35 to 46 and go west to range rd. It's on the south side of 46 and can easily be missed. You'll enjoy your time there.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Bracken charges $4.00 per rifle/pistol and $5.00 per target frame, which is too expensive in my book. Plus they are cash-only, and don't accept bills larger than $20. Considering their rates, they should be able to break a $50 or $100 bill!

On the up side, Bracken Store Cafe is nearby and worth a stop if you're looking for a great burger! Just to note they only accept cash and local checks. What is it about Bracken and credit cards?!?

cssmith56

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    I heard bullet hole had a bad rap but it is one of the closest to me so I gave it chance when I moved here. Been there about 5-6 times now and they seem to be good about enforcing safety rules. Pay $10 and you get to use all the ranges. Not a bad place if it's in your area, but I wouldn't drive across town for it.

Took my CHL class at bracken so I didn't see much of the range, but the staff that run the gun shop and classes are great.

Bass pro is nice when the weather is nasty.

I've heard a lot of good about Dietz and A Place to Shoot... But both are on extreme ends of town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I've been to Dietz many times - nothing too fancy, but it's very cheap. I've only been to Cedar Ridge once, but I'd go back in a heartbeat. They do give you quite the lecture if you haven't been there before. I didn't get all butt-hurt over it. They are the ones with the liabilities on the line.

Handgun World

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2011
    San Antonio
    I like A Place To Shoot and Cedar Ridge Range. I teach at both of them because of the quality of their facilities and the way they safely run their ranges. Also, they are both very versatile and offer nearly every type of shooting you like.

LillDragun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2012
    Texas
    I don't know if anybody has been to the Corpus Christi Pistol & Rifle Club, but they have a pretty darn nice facility. The set up is real nice I think too, for a small city. I'm surprised that San Antonio does not have one or two that are setup similarly, especially with the amount of empty real estate around.

juan valdez

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2014
    I try to not go to a place to shoot anymore. Last time I was there they hassled us for"rapid fire" while shooting clays. Feel like every time I go there they eye me funny. The ROs I mean. They have decent price on guns but like all ranges high ammo prices

I've started going to lone star handgun. 11 bucks and shoot as much as you want. Though it's steel target at set range so if you like to shoot paper and plot each shot it may not be the place for you

Rifle range goes to 300 yds too

Also high ammo prices but I've never been to a range that didn't

Top Bottom