• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zilla

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2019
    DFW
    Please let me know if you've had less than stellar experience with them.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    The Mazda’s I’ve been in are loud. Like they don’t have enough insulation in the doors. It also had engine failure. Was forced to have the top end rebuilt. Just out of warranty.

my wife had one, and I won’t buy another.

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    Wife currently drives a 2016 CX-5 we bought new and absolutely no issues.

I've also owned a Mazda 2 and 3 when I commuted long distance and never had an issue. Owned a distressed 2nd gen Miata for many years without issues.

I've owned a lot of cars between me, the spouse and 3 kids. They only ones I ran away from very quickly were a 92 Caravan and 2010 GMC Terrain.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    No experience. Only went down the rabbit hole on consumer reviews and a old co workers problems. I will probably never own one. The engines don’t seem to last at higher mileage.

At around 150k he had to rebuild the engine and replace the engine mounts.

I’m sure overall they are fine. Everyone has lemons.

Last edited:

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Bought the wife a 2015 CX-5 in 2016. It had 31K on it. I think it was a rental car. Now it has 62k on it and we have not had any problems with it. AC blows cold. Body is tight. Engine has plenty zoom. Mileage is 24 point something for mostly city driving. It is much quieter, and has more power, better handling, and better fuel mileage than the 1998 Honda CR-V we traded in.

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    We currently have 2 Mazdas with over 100k on them. Haven't had issues with either. We are also currently looking at the cx-5 and the Rav.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I have never owned one, but I know someone I work with for the past 15 years has had 3 MX-5's since I've known her, and loves them.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    I would definitely own one if my torso was an inch shorter or the cockpit geometry changed slightly. I actually shopped them a few years ago and researched ad nauseam. The early ones had problems with the drive pulley or the crank shaft. Don’t recall the specifics, but it only affected the first year or two. I test drove a base convertible and a top of the line with retractable hard top. They aren’t fast at all but they are a hoot to drive. Yes they are loud, but I think it has more to do with the low profile tires. If I were to buy one today, I would go for the stripper model. The only problem is the new ones you have to option up to a mid model option package in order to get the limited slip rear end. I’d probably have it added aftermarket or swap in a full rear end from a wrecked unit.

G O B

School of Hard Knocks and Sharp blows
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Hays Co.
    I rented a Mazda 3 once - cheap underpowered, rock hard seats and HORRIBLE ergonomics! I am 5'10" and that piece of shit was made for people under 5'3".

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    We test drove one a few years ago when my wife was in the market for a new car and I was very impressed. We drove pretty much everybody's crossover SUV in that category and the CX-5 more than held its own. It would have probably been my choice but she ended up going with a Nissan Murano because she wanted something more "luxurious". I've heard and read almost nothing but good things about them since.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    I would definitely own one if my torso was an inch shorter or the cockpit geometry changed slightly. I actually shopped them a few years ago and researched ad nauseam. The early ones had problems with the drive pulley or the crank shaft. Don’t recall the specifics, but it only affected the first year or two. I test drove a base convertible and a top of the line with retractable hard top. They aren’t fast at all but they are a hoot to drive. Yes they are loud, but I think it has more to do with the low profile tires. If I were to buy one today, I would go for the stripper model. The only problem is the new ones you have to option up to a mid model option package in order to get the limited slip rear end. I’d probably have it added aftermarket or swap in a full rear end from a wrecked unit.
    Well crap, I misread this. The title says cx5 but for some stupid reason my mind was registering mx5 as in the Miata.

so... back to the cx5. Wife and I looked at them when we were car shopping 2 years ago. Very nice and screwed together well. We actually ended up with a cx9 because it has more cargo area in the back. It has the same 2.5l turbo as the cx5, and it’s pretty torquey. We cross shopped the Toyota Highlander as well but went with Mazda due to the vacuum pump that is a replacement item on the Toyota at 100k miles with cost of about $1k plus the fact that you just about have to disassemble the intake in order to access the plugs against the firewall at 60k intervals. The Mazda has no stop start and therefore no vacuum pump replacement required in the scheduled maintenance. Plugs are 40k miles on the Mazda, but they are in clear view up top and about a 30 minute job.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    We've had a 2019 CX-5 for going on three years. Been a very nice vehicle and the interior beats the snot out of every other Japanese offering in the price range. Engine is a tad underpowered but it's not meant to be a race car. It is a little noisier inside but not really noticeable. It drives and handles very nice for a compact SUV. It handles four adults (6' and taller) with ease.

Downsides are the Soul Red paint, which was a $500 premium upgrade, does chip easily but being this is Texas rock chips in cars are to be expected.

For the price (under $30K) it was most definitely the nicest car in the market. The RAV4 seems cheap in comparison, you can forget about anything made by Hyundai or Kia (unless cheap price and ugliness are a priority), and the Tiguan is nice but VWs are not as cheap to own as their Japanese counterparts.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Scotty really likes Mazda.

I respect him and would enjoy meeting him but he’s fast to flip in his advice. For years he will dog something then say great things once he actually tries something. Overall he’s right. He’s been a mechanic sense Adam and Eve started walking and people should listen to his diagnostic experience.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    We've had a 2019 CX-5 for going on three years. Been a very nice vehicle and the interior beats the snot out of every other Japanese offering in the price range. Engine is a tad underpowered but it's not meant to be a race car. It is a little noisier inside but not really noticeable. It drives and handles very nice for a compact SUV. It handles four adults (6' and taller) with ease.

Downsides are the Soul Red paint, which was a $500 premium upgrade, does chip easily but being this is Texas rock chips in cars are to be expected.

For the price (under $30K) it was most definitely the nicest car in the market. The RAV4 seems cheap in comparison, you can forget about anything made by Hyundai or Kia (unless cheap price and ugliness are a priority), and the Tiguan is nice but VWs are not as cheap to own as their Japanese counterparts.
    Yes, the interior punches above its weight value-wise. It’s like they are going after a near luxury designation. Like Buick was years ago. We’ve got the touring model and it’s by far the nicest interior we’ve ever had. 2019 cx9 model here,

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Not long ago Mazda was advertising their skyactive engines, would switch from gas mode to a diesel mode on the fly if I recall. Did this ever happen ?

It is not possible to convert a gasoline engine into diesel engine. The former relies on ignition to combust, the latter compression. Plus, the compression ratios are dramatically different (8.5 to 1 for a gas engine, and 22 to 1 for a diesel).

Diesel engines have a crankshaft with much larger offsets so the pistons slide farther in the cylinders. They also have thicker walls to contain the higher pressure.

If you managed to install a diesel crankshaft, piston and rods in a gas engine, it would probably explode when started!

What Mazda advertised was "SKYACTIV-X offers the best of both diesel and gasoline engines with none of the disadvantages. It does this thanks to a new technology called Spark Controlled Compression Ignition (SPCCI). Running on regular gasoline, SPCCI works by compressing the fuel-air mix at a much higher compression ratio, with a very lean mix. The SKYACTIV-X engine uses a spark to ignite only a small, dense amount of the fuel-air mix in the cylinder. This raises the temperature and pressure so that the remaining fuel-air mix ignites under pressure (like a diesel), burning faster and more completely than in conventional engines.

The result? Ten to 30 percent more torque than the current SKYACTIV-G gasoline engine with better fuel efficiency than the current SKYACTIV-D, and a power increase of ten percent. This best-of-both-worlds achievement was made possible by Mazda’s relentless pursuit of perfection. Engineers analysed every detail from the piston shape to the swirl pattern of the fuel-air mix. As is the Mazda way, it’s those tiny details that make a huge difference." (source: https://www.mazda.com/en/innovation/mazda-stories/engineers/skyactiv-x/)

That's not the same thing as "switching from gas mode to a diesel mode."

Last edited:

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County

As mentioned, we have a 2016 CX-5 with no issues but the wife wants a new vehicle with several upgrades though the same size. She really wants red and mentioned the RAV4. Reviews show it has slightly more room but slightly less fun to drive. The bigger issue, nobody has red and ALL DFW lots seem to have 1, 2 or 3 in stock of either the low-end or most expensive version. She drives the Grand Touring model and those can be found in her color. Normally we'd hang onto her vehicle but used values are stupid right now. Her Mazda has gone up in value by $8k in the past year.

In 2022, Mazda is redesigning "some" of the exterior and interior (minor make-over) and dropping a six banger under the hood. One of the improvements stated is sound proofing. I don't consider hers loud and yes, I can hear the 4-banger when I step into it. Granted I drive a rag-top Wrangler so anything is quiet but she's never complained.

My Daughter bought a new 2019 Tiguan and put just over 40k miles on it until trading this past week for something bigger. Absolutely no issues and only had to buy tires for it. Her husband drives some type of VW car from 2016. I know it has over 100k miles due to being an Uber driver in the past. No manufacturer issues with his car though he's been in two wrecks and seems to have a lingering alignment issue from his first wreck.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    We currently have 2 Mazdas with over 100k on them. Haven't had issues with either. We are also currently looking at the cx-5 and the Rav.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

We picked up a Rav a few months ago. Pretty happy with it so far. Went with an XLE premium.

I’m 5’9 and my head is somewhat close to the roof, but I prefer the higher seat to those mounted right against the floor like some crossovers and pretty much all cars have. Cargo area is just a little too narrow for a full size rifle case. Had to break down a couple shotguns and put them in a shorter case for a recent trip. Wife absolutely loves it and I’ve become a fan of the adaptive cruise control.

Mechanically I’m placing my bets on Toyota’s reputation. Haven’t had it long enough to really make any judgement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom