• robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Holy shît I forgot about him and that reunion. It wasn’t really awkward, except maybe for @Darkpriest667
    I couldn't have imagined trying to drive him there. The only person I've ever took to the meets was Sterling - and that made the drive about as pleasant as it could get.
    DK Firearms

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    The guy I took 4 years ago wanted to stop and smoke every 15 minutes on the trip down, which was 3 hours, I told him no. LOL

Thanks for the link, just ordered!

Smoking in someone's car is basically like asking if you can fart inside of their car. Same level of disgusting.

tbran6

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2022
    Dallas
    I started a new mini-Recce type build last week. My goals were keep it simple, keep it light (just the necessities), and with the ability to reach out to 600 yards without much trouble.

- M4E1 Aero Stripped Lower
    - Midwest Industries AR-15 5.56 NATO Completed Assembly 12.5" barrel, 11.5" M-LOK MI Handguard
    - Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x24 AR-BDC reticle on Burris PEPR Mount
    - Streamlight 88066 ProTac Rail Mounted Light / 1000 Lumen
    - HERA Arms HFG Pistol Grip Model A
    - Troy padded 2-point rifle sling

View attachment 344078
    wow nice.

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    I'm surprised you didn't keep the Sig 12.5", was it their M400 platform? I heard good things about it but never actually got my hands on one. I actually considered buying their Model 516 piston driven model, but went another direction.
    No it was a 556 model..gas and sweet shooter now looking to buy a P90 or a SIG556 patrol with folding old style stock... then sell the AR15 set up

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    Nice, how does it shoot?
    Just got home from the range. I had some time off for killing a couple show horses with my train so I figured I should utilize it.

I’m certainly not going to win any shooting contests but at 50 yards, I’m happy with it. I’m running the XPS 2-0 which is a 68 MOA ring and 1 MOA dot. Perfect for a 50 and 200 yard zero. I don’t see myself taking unmagnified shots past 200 yards. Not even sure I could confidently identify a threat past 200. I have the Superlative adjustable gas block and I got it turned down as tight as possible to function properly and then opened it up 2 more “clicks” to be safe. I believe it has 38 “clicks” of adjustment. I only took 60 rounds and on the final round, it may have fired when I released the trigger. It did not happen at all prior to that and I’ve had this trigger in other rifles. I may have squeezed the trigger the moment it reset but since it was my final round of the day with 5.56, I was unable to verify.

ATF if you read last part, suck my balls.

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    Just got home from the range. I had some time off for killing a couple show horses with my train so I figured I should utilize it.

I’m certainly not going to win any shooting contests but at 50 yards, I’m happy with it. I’m running the XPS 2-0 which is a 68 MOA ring and 1 MOA dot. Perfect for a 50 and 200 yard zero. I don’t see myself taking unmagnified shots past 200 yards. Not even sure I could confidently identify a threat past 200. I have the Superlative adjustable gas block and I got it turned down as tight as possible to function properly and then opened it up 2 more “clicks” to be safe. I believe it has 38 “clicks” of adjustment. I only took 60 rounds and on the final round, it may have fired when I released the trigger. It did not happen at all prior to that and I’ve had this trigger in other rifles. I may have squeezed the trigger the moment it reset but since it was my final round of the day with 5.56, I was unable to verify.

ATF if you read last part, suck my balls.
    I had a brand new gun come with a "binary" trigger. I wound up filing on the disconnector to better time the reset. Easy fix if it truly did go binary.

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    I had a brand new gun come with a "binary" trigger. I wound up filing on the disconnector to better time the reset. Easy fix if it truly did go binary.
    Thank you. It’s been in other rifles and was the absolute last round of 5.56 for the day so I’ll have to double check when I get the chance. I’ve never had that happen before.

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    I can convince you body armor is not something to be on the fence about. poly stuff is pretty light. about 8 pounds total. .. It will save your life and stop 30,06 black tip.

@toddnjoyce is right. This is a tight knit group and people will bust your balls, you should come to one of the meets. I think the family reunion is being subbed for the sterling memorials this year. You REALLY should think about coming to one. If you dont want your vehicle identified ( cause you're paranoid) you can carpool with me.

I've already taken one crazy fucker to a reunion and earned a lot of cred for doing so lol. You don't smoke cigarettes do you? LOL

I'm going to look into body armor. I was recently of the opinion that it wouldn't be useful to me due to the weight and bulk and I'd just take my chances, going to seriously investigate now.

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    I built an 11.5" Vietnam era CAR 15 replica just for my retro collection. Basically a copy of Baboon's real CAR 15. I used an FN barrel with a pinned and welded faux moderator for 16" overall ( didn't want to pay the man), haven't had it past fifty yards yet. The short size makes it very light and maneuverable, the fake moderator killed the muzzle blast so it sounds about the same as any other 16" carbine. Flash hider seems to work, shooting in total darkness may prove otherwise.

I get the small size I just see it as what it is, a short range weapon. Great for close quarters.

QUZR9Co.jpg

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    I'm a strange fellow for sure but my load outs have changed several times and I got to thinking I can't predict everything...So most of my load outs focus on two scenarios:

being in fire fights with others. Mags, ammo, concealment items, body armor, filter straw, knife, my truck always has an e-tool. An e-tool is very underrated. On a random camping trip by myself, It's all I had to put out a lightning strike. I had a special bond with that NF, and I didn't get cell signal so not putting it out wasn't an option. It was a down tree about nothing under 10 feet long and pretty wide. All on fire. Took me like 3 hours to cut off all oxygen with that e-tool. My trail hawk is also a tool I love.

My other load outs focus less on fighting with others and more about surviving in the wild. So body armor is less, more tools, more water filtration, a bolt action or my Sam7 side folder as it doesn't require the same upkeep as an AR.

I'll have to look at everything I have on all the vest now after rethinking things but my point is have a set up for survival and not so much fighting too. Not staying dry, warm, or blocking the wind can be deadly.

But one thing more people need to add with a load out: working gloves...Look at it like this...If you're not going to fight all the time to survive...Load like a forest firefighter in a way.

And I thought I was the only weird one according to my family, lol. On my recent road trip I had ammo, AR, pistol, first aid kits, life straws, duct tape and plastic, mre packs and gas masks. I carry this gear for the same reasons I keep fire extinguishers around my home and garage, just in case. Now, how to carry sensitive analogue radiological equipment without damaging the meters or losing calibration? :green:

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    This was a 12.7" build i had, mostly built from parts from brownells' retro line.

View attachment 345033 View attachment 345034

Inspired by fallout new vegas, and Blackhawk Down.

I wish i hadn't traded it. It was a handy little gun.

Love'em! I just love a shooting a retro AR with irons, they're so much fun. My A2 is my favorite so far followed closely by the CAR 15.

CONKF28.jpg

Top Bottom