• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    Midway has 100 grain tipped bat tail factory seconds on sale for $119 per 500. These will likely be Hornady Amax or ELDM, as that is the only 100 gr tipped out there besides the Barnes. That is a great deal.
    I'm thinking I am gonna place an order, but I don't need 500. Anyone interested in splitting an order? I'm in Conroe if anyone wanted to meet FTF.
    @Lonesome Dove ?

Guns International

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Midway has 100 grain tipped bat tail factory seconds on sale for $119 per 500. These will likely be Hornady Amax or ELDM, as that is the only 100 gr tipped out there besides the Barnes. That is a great deal.
    I'm thinking I am gonna place an order, but I don't need 500. Anyone interested in splitting an order? I'm in Conroe if anyone wanted to meet FTF.
    @Lonesome Dove ?

I ordered a box,I’ll set aside 100 for you, pick up at the reunion if you want. $26. No worries if you don’t want them.

Txmark

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    Mustang Ridge
    @Lonesome Dove ?

Thanks for the heads up, ordered 1k. Expecting delivery today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    These appear to be ELD-Ms. Midway’s packaging sucks donkey balls; they just threw their shitty box inside a bigger box., both of which were damaged on delivery (UPS to mailbox). I’ll have to weigh the bullets to see if 500 actually arrived; I think Im short a few that fell out of the larger box that was partially open at delivery.

Hippie Farmer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2020
    Atascosa County
    Midway has 100 grain tipped bat tail factory seconds on sale for $119 per 500.
    Maybe someone can educate me on what a "factory second" is. I see those advertised often but the description implies something that is inconsistent and/or lesser quality. The same things I try to avoid by choosing to hand load my ammunition.

I know that many choose to hand load for the cost savings that enables them to go out on weekends and plink through a couple of hundred rounds. I enjoy doing that on occasion, too. Is this the group that the factory seconds bullets appeal to?

2nd am.jpg

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    Maybe someone can educate me on what a "factory second" is. I see those advertised often but the description implies something that is inconsistent and/or lesser quality. The same things I try to avoid by choosing to hand load my ammunition.

I know that many choose to hand load for the cost savings that enables them to go out on weekends and plink through a couple of hundred rounds. I enjoy doing that on occasion, too. Is this the group that the factory seconds bullets appeal to?

View attachment 224953
    I'm not answering for everyone, but I have ordered the blemished match grade projectiles and had great results. What I got was 250 Sierra match kings with a slightly off color. There have been other people on this forum who ordered and got Hornady Match projectiles.

I have never actually ordered just plain factory seconds projectiles.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne

View attachment 224953

Kind of depends. I’m reloading 9mm right bow because the cost savings far exceeds manufactured right now. Before April, I hadn’t reloaded 9mm in close to a decade.

I picked these up because the bullet is dual-purpose, reloadable for both CM and Grendel.

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    “Blemished bullets are bulk-packaged, factory seconds that didn't meet specification. For majority of the bullets being offered, this blemish is a slight discoloration in the jacket or the bullets were run during press set-up.”
    “Since these bullets do have slight blemishes it is always better to check bullets for defects in diameter before loading”

They are usually just minor cosmetic defects, but as stated above, the possibility could exist to get out of spec projectiles.
    IOW, the risk is well worth the reward.

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston

View attachment 224953
    My first job after the military was in a factor making those cardboard tubular cans for frozen juice concentrate. The local Sunkist factory.

When we first fired up the line we would have to dump the cans coming out untill the machines were dialed in. The right about of glue on the label, the label indexed properly, the metal caps on straight. Once dialed in we cranked out pallets of cans to send off to the juicers.

Factory second bullets are those thrown out cans. Something went wrong and the machines and they made projectiles with blemishes.
    Miscolored jackets is probably the best you can hope for.
    Missing cannalure can work out ok.
    I have some .311 lead tipped with a little extra lead on the end.

Worst I've heard about are uneven misshapen ogive.

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom