• ...and so much more!
  • Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I am looking at some blemished/ factory second match grade bullets.

Normally for match grade bullets a reloader wouldn't worry about saving a few cents. This is a little different scenario though. These are bullets for my .338 Lapua and the savings is $0.20 a bullet or more.

These are not listed as a certain manufacturer but they match numbers exactly with Amaxes and SMKs.

I am just curious if anybody has bought factory seconds of good quality bullets and what their experiences are. The only bad review they have is varying weights and I weigh my bullets before loading anyways. The difference in weight seems to be less than 1%.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    im not sure I would want to risk my rifle over 20 cents a round ;)

Governors20

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Austin
    I have shot a bunch of them and never had a problem. They are blems due to cosmetic issues. Most you cant tell anything is wrong with them. Some 308 bullets had the canular a little low. Others had a ring in the nose section. They all killed pigs.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2014
    I wouldn't worry about damage to the rifle as much as I question the phrase, "blemished/factory second match grade." Surely I'm not the only one that sees the irony in that.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    I've got a bunch of seconds .223 pills. They are polymer tipped and I can see that on some the poly tip is set back into the case too far. Others look fine. They make good run and gun ammo for the AR.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I have bought hundreds of blemished and pulled bullets
    From places like RMR and Midway
    The blemished ones were simply off color spec
    As they go down the line a Hgh speed camera determines the color is off and a puff of air knocks them off the line and onto a chute
    I have never had a blemished bullet have anything wrong but a tarnished look to it
    Most companies define what a blemish means to them
    In the description

MetalCutter

Life is too short for cheap cigars!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    The Woodlands, TX
    Shot thousands of them in my silhouette pistols over the years, mostly 7mm bullets from Sierra & Hornady. Never had any problems with function or accuracy. The only thing I noticed was an occasional cosmetic blemish.

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    I've shot thousands in my ARs in 5.56 or 6.8 and don't see any difference. But I get mine from Shooters Pro Shop. Some are just over-runs and not blemished.

Last edited:

HandgunHTR

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    I have shot thousands of the Midway and Shooters Pro Shop "2nds" over the years. They shoot just as good as the "1sts".

I would say that unless you have money riding on the groups sizes you shoot, buy as many as you can and smile every time you shoot.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    It sounds like most of you have had good experiences with them.

I will have to get a box or two to test.

The ad states that the polymer tipped bullets may have the wrong color tip on them. I don't think the color will affect the flight.

diveRN

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2014
    The Metroplex
    Haven't bought 2nds for the rifles yet, but I currently have and have shot thousands of pulled and seconds for two different caliber pistols. They work just fine.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Shot thousands of them in my silhouette pistols over the years, mostly 7mm bullets from Sierra & Hornady. Never had any problems with function or accuracy. The only thing I noticed was an occasional cosmetic blemish.
    Quoted for truth. In my case, the thousands of blems I've fired have been .30 cal but, other than that, my experience has been the same. They're good enough to win matches, regularly. Some of 'em just look a bit discolored.

huffmanite

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    Huffman
    I too have bought a fair amount of Midways "blemished bullets" in various calibers. At least once a week or more I check their website for them. By the way, think Midway now calls them "Factory Seconds" Do the same at Shooters Pro Shop, that sells Nosler's blems and over-runs. About the only time I had a problem with Midways blems were some 140 gr 6.5 cal Hornady V or Amaxs. Many of them had a bent/crooked nylon, or whatever it is, plastic tip. I've weighed them a number of times to check consistency of grains. Not unusual for them to vary grain weight. Using a 140 gr bullet for an example, might measure from 138.9 to 141. But usually the majority are 140 grain or a couple of tenths of a grain close to it.

Top Bottom