• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave68

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2014
    NW Houston
    I saw these on the Midway site. They're almost as inexpensive as regular lead but are supposed to be a bit cleaner. Are they a good alternative to jacketed bullets for indoor range use?

LOCKHART

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2014
    Lockhart, Texas
    Ive used them, they ok, but cant push em real fast, guess the plating comes
    off if you do. They dont seem to be as accurate as any of my good cast bullets
    tho. Just my 2 cents worth.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Yes, I bought several thousand of the Ranier bullets in .45 acp. They shoot good and use the same load data as lead bullets.

Be warned, the plating is very thin. Go easy on crimps or tight bullet seating or you'll break through the plating. Plating thin or not, I've never seen any evidence of the jacket material flaking or flying off as the round is fired.

I'll give them a "Thumbs Up!"

Flash

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    Good experience with the product. Excellent business with customer service. Ended up with a single 9mm bullet in a box of 45. No big deal. It was a box of 500 and don't know if I got 499 45s and one 9mm, or 500 45s and one 9mm. I didn't keep count, and since I loaded a few, shot a few, loaded a few, shot a few ... there was no way to be sure. Sent them an email as more of a heads up for quality control issues. They sent me back 1000 45s, a hat, pens, usb drive and can't remember what else it was. Didn't expect it by any means, but was nice to see the company make the effort to make things right with the customer. Way too many companies don't care anymore.

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    They have a good reputation and the plating helps prevent leading with mild to moderate loads with out the mess of lubed bullets. I don't know how they would work with full blown .357 or .44 magnum loads.

I wouldn't think they'd work as well as jacketed bullets in an indoor range because they're as likely to splatter as any other lead bullet when they hit the backstop.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    Most jacketed bullets are exposed lead on the bottom. Plated are totally covered. I'd say the lead exposure is no more plated than it is with jacketed. If anything, it's less because you don't have the hot gasses on the exposed lead, right at you, versus at the other end of the range.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    As others have stated, plated bullets don't handle high velocity very well. But at slower (i.e., non-magnum) speeds, they do just fine. Ranier has good quality control; I've never had a problem.

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    I've run well over 10k of their 45 through my guns. No issues. Just load them as you would a lead projectile and you should be good to go.

LOCKHART

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2014
    Lockhart, Texas
    I shoot IHMSA silhouette, and have tried the Ranier bullets in that game. They
    work well enough for practice, but not for competition. But, the price is sure
    right on em. I buy mine at Cabelas.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    Another company to look at is Xtreme. Theirs are very good and double struck (sized). I have used both and they both work at regular lead velocities. I like the Xtreme better.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Rainier plated bullets are some of the best out there. I push them up to 1100 fps out of several different 9mms and they perform just as well as typical factory ammo when loaded correctly. I have also used Berrys and xtreme in several calibers. The xtremes are slightly undersized in almost every caliber I have used. I prefer a tighter fit more so than a looser one. The berrys bullets are flat based and have been slightly less accurate for me. The Rainier bullets(9mm) also have concave bases and are fully encapsulated like others have stated.
    However, after a few years in the reloading game, I have moved away from lead completely except for the 45 LC/ACP and have gravitated toward more high end bullets like hornady combat target and montana gold. For the few cents a round difference, it's worth it to me to throw down on some better performing projectiles.

Top Bottom