Join TexasGunTalk

Any chemists in the house

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by ttuttle, Jan 11, 2020.

1. ttuttle

ttuttle An old guy who like to shoot

Apr 17, 2015
    I have a question about cleaning brass. I've noticed some comerical brass cleaning additives make the statement "contains no ammonia." Does ammonia weaken the brass? What would happen if I added a shot glass of ammonia to my walnut shells in a vibratory shaker?

2. Blayglock

Blayglock Active Member

Aug 26, 2013
    San Antonio, TX
    I am a chemist and a corrosion engineer.

Just off the top of my head - Yes I believe that ammonia could cause some stress corrosion cracking of the brass.

3. ttuttle

Apr 17, 2015
    Maybe that's why the big boys don't use it in their mouse milk.

4. Wiliamr

Wiliamr Active Member TGT Supporter

Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    ammonia and copper react to form the cuprammonium ion, formula [Cu(NH3)4], a chemical complex which is water-soluble. What occurs is any scratches, cracks or nooks and crannies get the ammonia inside them and as the reaction occurs it erodes the copper out of the brass alloy. Then when one washes the ammonia solution off the copper is washed out as the cuprammonium ion

5. ttuttle

Apr 17, 2015
    It sounds like your answer is for an extended exposure. I am questioning a 2 hour shake to clean and a detergent wash. Would your advice still hold true under those terms?

6. avvidclif

avvidclif Sturgis '95, RFTW 2010

Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    All I have ever read is ammonia will damage brass and to not use it for cleaning. I didn't ask why. I've always used crushed walnut hulls and ever so often add a touch of good old chrome polish.

just country likes this.
  7. TexasRedneck

TexasRedneck 1911 Nut Lifetime Member

Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    In that case, go for it. You've gotten your answer, but apparently aren't satisfied w/it.

8. Texasjack

Texasjack TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Even a very small amount of ammonia will ruin brass. The same is true for amines (although you're a lot less likely to encounter amines in common chemicals.) Never expose your brass to anything containing ammonia. Never. I can't be more clear than that.

And yes, I do have a degree in chemistry.

Southpaw and jordanmills like this.
  9. candcallen

candcallen Purveyor of Snark Humor and Truth.

Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Cant help with that but I have a couple very good hand written meth recipes with step by step instructions and even one with pics.

Tweakers have no concept of OP sec for some reason. They leave shit laying around and also cant shut up so... since you mentioned chemistry.

ETA.

This may be the most useless post on the site today.

10. Deavis

Deavis Active Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    1) Yes, well described chemically with a quick Google search.
    2) Nobody knows for sure because they know enough not to do what you ask

To what you didnt ask, there are dozens of great cleaners put there that are brass friendly so why waste your time even considering something like ammonia and wasting precious electrons posting about it? Save the electrons and the holes... seriously.