• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    So, becoming a business analyst seems like the next step in my "career".

Anyone worked in this capacity?

Your input is welcome.

Send me a PM if you don't want to reveal your super secret BA-ness.
    What industry????

If its IT then I can offer suggestions as I saw them. Depending upon the company BA are either on top or programers are. You goal is to work in an IT company that thinks HIGHLY of BA's.

BA's are the secret to building world class software. Many companies see BA's as a waste of money, so they send the programmers over to XYZ Inc to sort out their issues and come back and write a program, more often than not all you have is SW that does not do what the end user wants. It may make Sr Mgt happy but they are not the ones using it.

YOUR job 1 is to understand the Business Model or Business Case. YOU are the architect, the programmer is the brick layer. You design the building based upon its intended use. Remember when you walk in the door they already have a system in place, either manual or automated. If automated then you are there because its broken and no longer (IF it ever did) meets the needs of the company.

If you are in a company where they are sending programmers out to meet with the client and the BA's sit in some cubicle and pour thru manuals etc then the solution is not likely to be as good as it should be...
    Venture Surplus ad

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    What industry????

If its IT then I can offer suggestions as I saw them. Depending upon the company BA are either on top or programers are. You goal is to work in an IT company that thinks HIGHLY of BA's.

BA's are the secret to building world class software. Many companies see BA's as a waste of money, so they send the programmers over to XYZ Inc to sort out their issues and come back and write a program, more often than not all you have is SW that does not do what the end user wants. It may make Sr Mgt happy but they are not the ones using it.

YOUR job 1 is to understand the Business Model or Business Case. YOU are the architect, the programmer is the brick layer. You design the building based upon its intended use. Remember when you walk in the door they already have a system in place, either manual or automated. If automated then you are there because its broken and no longer (IF it ever did) meets the needs of the company.

If you are in a company where they are sending programmers out to meet with the client and the BA's sit in some cubicle and pour thru manuals etc then the solution is not likely to be as good as it should be...
    Exactly.

I have always been decent with computers but never had the interest (or heart) to dive into that world as a full on IT professional as programmer/engineer. What I really enjoy is the interaction of a human and the computer and trying to determine the needs of a business as it relates to the end users. (HCI) as that is what makes the user experience worthwhile, productive, enjoyable etc.

Yes it takes decent code running to make the experience good and good UX/UI as well. But from the BA view I really enjoy developing requirements and features to solve the needs of the business. It serves both the business and the users AND if the job is done correctly it is good for the programmers and engineers as well due to good communication.

See what happens. I dont mind what im doing now. The more I work with BAs, help them and do some BA tasks the more interested I am in it.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom