• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jujubean

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2021
    Roundrock
    So I got me a Romanian non matching kit. I have me some galil aces but I want a classic akm style ak. Wanting to build a Khyber pass folder. Still need to source the barrell and receiver and folder but I was wondering, any builders here in the area that could help me out throwing this thing together? I’ve herd black aces is good but they charge 400+. I’ll compensate you of course, cash, beer, beef jerky, ammo etc.
    Guns International

Reactions: Eli

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    I have 8 kits of various manufactures/countries and I missed the build parties a dozen years ago.

Not much interest in those anymore but I assembled 5 so far with tooling I made from steel and aluminum as jigs and braces.

The tool that I did buy was the rivet squeezer from requiem arms with the harbor freight 24" bolt cutter handles.

I run a car shop on my property so I have pretty much everything I need but it still takes a little skill to make it look good when you are done.

Heat treated 80% receivers are harder to drill but the metal is already hardened so it is a toss up as to whether you go with the $30 blank and then heat it or the $100 blank. (already done)

You could go the FFL (ready to assemble) receivers but I did the 80%.

16" barrels are available from many suppliers. ($100 on up)

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    You got a hammer? Build it yourself!

Seriously, I know a great AK gunsmith; but he's not in Austin. If you're interested I can reach out to him.

Otherwise, ask Elite Guns on West Parmer Ln. They seem to be the Kalashnikov experts in Austin...

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    So I got me a Romanian non matching kit. I have me some galil aces but I want a classic akm style ak. Wanting to build a Khyber pass folder. Still need to source the barrell and receiver and folder but I was wondering, any builders here in the area that could help me out throwing this thing together? I’ve herd black aces is good but they charge 400+. I’ll compensate you of course, cash, beer, beef jerky, ammo etc.
    Welcome to the forum, sir!

WarBaby

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    DFW, TX
    You missed the good old days by 15 or so years, build parties and $80 complete parts kits with original barrels were the norm. I can't believe the price of AK's now - you used to buy an AK because you were a poor and an AR was way out of reach. I got my first Romanian SAR-1 from AIM Surplus brand new in box for $239. How the tables have turned...sigh.

Jujubean

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2021
    Roundrock
    You got a hammer? Build it yourself!

Seriously, I know a great AK gunsmith; but he's not in Austin. If you're interested I can reach out to him.

Otherwise, ask Elite Guns on West Parmer Ln. They seem to be the Kalashnikov experts in Austin...
    I would appreciate that if you don’t mind! I’m really in the round rock area but I don’t mind a little drive

medic976

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2012
    San Antonio, Texas
    Hey folks. FNG here. I have, over the years, accquired a couple of store bought AK's and a couple years ago decided to attempt a build. For lack of proper (and I have learned, expensive) tools, I have a box of unassembled parts. Is there anyone in the San Antonio area might have the proper tools, and be willing to help put this Romy UF together ? email madmedic900@gmail.com

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Hey folks. FNG here. I have, over the years, accquired a couple of store bought AK's and a couple years ago decided to attempt a build. For lack of proper (and I have learned, expensive) tools, I have a box of unassembled parts. Is there anyone in the San Antonio area might have the proper tools, and be willing to help put this Romy UF together ? email madmedic900@gmail.com

PM'd

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.

Welcome to the Forum!

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    If it’s who I think it is, he better finish my five builds first!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be fair, if it's the same guy he has a full time LE gig, volunteers with the TXSG, and we both just finished the year-long Command and General Staff Course...

Tyrvidar

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    I miss those old Build parties it's where I learned quite a bit. The DFW had a great community. I'm still cranking them out north of Dallas, just bites the pocket a bit more these days for sure.

Jujubean

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2021
    Roundrock
    @Jujubean did you get my PM?
    I got it! Sorry i don't get back, It wouldn't let me reply to your DM. I handed it off to your contact, and your right, from what I've read about him, he is legit. Its been a few months tho and havnt herd back from him. I just dont want to hassle him, i know he is super busy and its just a side thing for him, i dont mind a wait tho if its done right, ive got plenty of other stuff to play with.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I got it! Sorry i don't get back, It wouldn't let me reply to your DM. I handed it off to your contact, and your right, from what I've read about him, he is legit. Its been a few months tho and havnt herd back from him. I just dont want to hassle him, i know he is super busy and its just a side thing for him, i dont mind a wait tho if its done right, ive got plenty of other stuff to play with.

If you really need something from him, send me a PM. I have a way to reach out to him but would prefer only to do so if all other alternatives have been tried!

Patience will serve you well in this situation!

Jujubean

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2021
    Roundrock
    If you really need something from him, send me a PM. I have a way to reach out to him but would prefer only to do so if all other alternatives have been tried!

Patience will serve you well in this situation!
    Appreciate that! Ill give it another month or so. I’ve learned the art of patience from dealing with the ATFs tax stamp department

mp_tx

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    Austin
    Going on 10 months with my current batch of kits, since I handed them over to him. All the previous work I have had done by him takes over a year. You went to the wrong builder if you are in a rush.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom