• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    I was buying my 115 grain 9mm FMJ bullets from Everglades ammo for $88 per 1,000 with free shipping. I looked today and they went up to $60 for 500! Luckily I got some “seconds” from Berrys for $88 for 1,000 with free shipping the other day. They’re plated instead of FMJ but they work just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lynx Defense

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    I was reading an email from RMR bullets. I have some projectiles on backorder.

They said they raised prices to slow down the rate of sales but ended up selling almost 5 million projectiles in a week.

Now they are struggling to get everything bagged boxed and shipped.

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    I ordered the same thing (Berry's) from midsouth shooters supply, no sales tax but shipping total $99.49 for 1000. I posted that this was available in the good deal post. Not seconds, Berry's 115 rn 9mm. Waiting for arrival but they are a good company. Interesting was that ammoseek didn't show them but the product was there.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    The lesson here is that you always keep about 5k of each primer on hand, just in case this sort of thing happens.

It’s not the first time and it won’t be the last. With the exception of the occasional 458 bullets in stock at Academy, I haven’t bought reloading components since February.

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    The lesson here is that you always keep about 5k of each primer on hand, just in case this sort of thing happens.

It’s not the first time and it won’t be the last. With the exception of the occasional 458 bullets in stock at Academy, I haven’t bought reloading components since February.

I had 5K LPP and 5K SPP, several months ago. I’m down considerably. I just like to shoot too damn much!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    The immediate future for un prepared reloaders is bleak. In the 6 short weeks I waited for my last projectile order all prices increased over 20%. Now the primer shortage. Since I refuse to pay over 4 cents a primer, I'll have to make due for a year or two.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    One way to stop a panic is to raise price to the point it exceeds demand.

I'm not sure that applies during a panic. Remember what .22LR did a few years ago. I saw people paying prices that just dumbfounded me. But I've come to learn that for the typical SHTF end of civilization scenario, that 22LR is the most valuable round you can have. For a BLM scenario, all handgun calibers, plus .223/5.56 are the most valuable ammo. But of course you don't need the ammo for the blacks, only for the white felons using BLM as cover.

I'm thinking of stocking up on shotgun shells. Just because there hasn't been a run on those yet....... Yet.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I'm not sure that applies during a panic. ...
    It’s just one way, not the only way.

Ideally the critical shortage is identified, in this case I’m pretty sure primers are the critical path. The question is why? Is demand such that a new factory has to be built or is it just putting more people on the line, or is it getting in-transit supplies moving through ports?

If the system is at max capacity and their isn’t enough ROI to increase the capacity, this’ll drag on for years.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    If the system is at max capacity and their isn’t enough ROI to increase the capacity, this’ll drag on for years.

I don't think so. It's really no different than the toilet paper shortage. A sudden hoarding overwhelms the production lines. Shelves go bare and production methods get altered. In the case of toilet paper, the 1-ply cheap stuff usually sent to commercial places started getting shipped to retail. The folks desparate grabbed the cheap stuff. The ones not so desparate, decided to wait for something better to come along. Supply slowly caught back up.

Primers will be the same. They'll get boated over from the phillipines, and probably russia. It will make prices a bit higher, but the initial bump in supply at a higher price, will have some starting to wait for a better deal while providing those who are desparate, an avenue to purchase.

Then again, maybe primers are like lysol, and who the hell knows when we'll see either again.

Dermako

Insensitivity Trained
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 16, 2019
    DFW
    I don't think so. It's really no different than the toilet paper shortage. A sudden hoarding overwhelms the production lines. Shelves go bare and production methods get altered. In the case of toilet paper, the 1-ply cheap stuff usually sent to commercial places started getting shipped to retail. The folks desparate grabbed the cheap stuff. The ones not so desparate, decided to wait for something better to come along. Supply slowly caught back up.
    I sorta agree but think it is election year cycle of potential democrat presidential candidacy.
    2008-Obama, just like now (did a major caliber consolidation after that one) .
    2016-Hillery, just like now.
    2020-Biden, Just like now but with Covid 19 and BLM added to the mix.

We should learn from history and be prepared.
    I did not have toilet paper rat holed though.
    That one caught me by surprise.

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston

I remember reading a comment on this forum over a year ago stating something along the lines of " ammo prices are so low you better stock up now." And " i wont feel sorry for anyone that doesn't"

Dont remember who it was, but they were right. We should be learning from these cycles.

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I sorta agree but think it is election year cycle of potential democrat presidential candidacy.

I did not have toilet paper rat holed though.
    That one caught me by surprise.
    You missed one: 2012-Sandy Hook

Top Bottom