• ...and so much more!
  • Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    My previous fridge only lasted @ 6 yrs. Growing up, they lasted 15+ years.

I haven't pulled the paperwork but this one (Kenmore) seems to have barely made it 2yrs before taking a dump tonight. :mad:

I unplugged it for @30 min then plugged it back in; not even a grunt from the compressor.
    Capitol Armory ad

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Damn, my fridge is going on 15+ years and I’m the second owner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GasGuzzler

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2018
    Cooke County, TX
    My mom has the second one we ever had running in her garage ... her third is in the kitchen. She turns 72 next month. The olive green one they had when I was born died in the '80's when it was replaced with the one she uses as a spare now.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    My Sears Kenmore was purchased in 2002 (bought 6 more of the same model for spec homes).

Had a problem with moisture collecting on the bottom last year, inexpensive fix by serviceman.

Service man told me to please call him ever decided to sell it. Said he would come get it immediately, they are no longer “made to last”, and he easily could keep this one running for another 20 years.

The Kenmore at the lake house is 30+ years old, and still used as the “guest” fridge downstairs in the utility room.

The beancounters and MBA’s have fucked you with their corporate ways and “price point engineering”.

Last edited:

Mohawk600

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    New appliances suck.......my uncle has an International Harvester refrigerator that was owned by my grandfather (who worked for IH and retired from there) from the 1950's.......It still works.

All the new appliances.....Samsung and such....made in China......designed to crap out in 5 years so you hae to buy another

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    When we moved here in 2003, we brought our old Roper fridge (about 5 years old at the time) with us and moved the new, smaller fridge that came with the house to my shed for a beer box. The new one crapped out about 4 years ago. The old one is still going strong. 21 years give or take.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    My previous fridge only lasted @ 6 yrs. Growing up, they lasted 15+ years.

I haven't pulled the paperwork but this one (Kenmore) seems to have barely made it 2yrs before taking a dump tonight. :mad:

I unplugged it for @30 min then plugged it back in; not even a grunt from the compressor.
    Get rid of the rats, roaches, and maybe run a vacuum through that place every once in a while (at least twice a year whether it needs it or not).

Being a filthy pig really does a number on appliances.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    I bought a fridge in the 80s that was from the 50s. It was still going strong when we sold the house in 2000. We used it to store photo film and paper. Got a 100 extra when we sold the house.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    We have a large Kenmore Elite.

After 2 years it crapped out, but after replacing the motherboard in the back, for low cost, can't remember what the cost was, but maybe $50/75 it's never missed a beat since and since is like 10 years ago.

Reinz

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    My Kenmore in the garage has been running 41 years straight.

Over 30 years of that time has been in the garage, hot AF. Hasn’t been worked on ever. I’ve never vacuumed the dust, dirt, and major dog hair off of the compressor either.

Naturally the ice maker crapped out early on.

Reinz

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    Also have a 43 year old large vertical Kenmore Freezer that has run continually in the garage the whole time. Never been cleaned underneath or worked on.

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    False alarm girls, the compressor kicked on shortly after starting this so I went to bed ashamed and hopeful it didn't happen again, permanently. I keep a thermometer in each compartment and when it started running they read 41F freezer & 56 fridge and now they are 6 & 40 respectively. The ice maker is working too.

RE 'engineered to fail', that's what an experienced (read that as grey-haired) HVAC guy at work told me last year when the previous fridge failed. He buys only a mid-grade fridge.

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    Get rid of the rats, roaches, and maybe run a vacuum through that place every once in a while (at least twice a year whether it needs it or not).

Being a filthy pig really does a number on appliances.
    The receipt is dated 6/30/18 and by your rigorous schedule, I would have cleaned twice. There is help for your OCD problem; the 1st step is admitting it.

hoghunting

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2014
    About two months ago the compressor on my refrigerator stopped working, found out that morning by stepping in a puddle of water at the bottom of the door. The compressor wouldn't kick on. Did a YouTube search and found a video from a Sears repairman.
    He said to check the relay on the compressor, pry it loose, shake it, if it rattles it needs to be replaced. Went to the appliance part store, bought a relay and it's working like nothing ever happened. Really didn't want to go shopping for another refrigerator.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom