• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    I live in San Angelo, a town/city of right about 100k people.

We live on a 'private road,' with 24 houses on it. There is only 1 entrance, you come in, and can go left or right at the fork, and either way, it circles around right back to the entrance. It's a .7 mile loop.

At LEAST 1 in 5 UPS or Fedex packages end up at a neighor's house.

MOre than a few times, a neighbor will call or come by the house and tell us they were expectign a package, too, so they didn't even look at the addressee: They just opened it and realized it wasn't theirs- at which point they looked, and then brought it or called...

Likewise, many times over the last 5-10 years we've had to walk around the neighborhood and locate our package on someone's porch (some of these homes almost exclusively use the side or garage entrance and won't check their front door for weeks on end).

What I don't get is that, while I don't 'know' our UPS or Fedex drivers, I recognize them, and I can't help but think that if I recognize them that they should...could...likely know our addresses as well as our USPS guy.

Our USPS mailman only VERY rarely gets a deliver wrong- mostly that only happens when he's out and has a sub.

Are the Fedex and UPS drivers so overwhelmed with massive numbers of packages that they're basically frazzled and unable to cope?

I've read accounts of what delivering for amazon's subcontractors is like, and that has to be pretty horrible... Have Fedex and UPS gone that far down the road of 'corporate optimization'

My daughter is an Amazon driver. Excels at it and loves it. She actually runs from truck to door and back. She finishes her route in less than half the allocated time - usually. Then she gets paid to help the slower drivers finish their route or takes the rest of the day off. There are several drivers just like her at the logistics company she works for. It is friendly competition among them to see who finishes first error free. Some drivers really do care about the quality of their service. Some could care less!
    Gun Zone Deals

rmantoo

Cranky old fart: Pull my finger
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    My daughter is an Amazon driver. Excels at it and loves it. She actually runs from truck to door and back. She finishes her route in less than half the allocated time - usually. Then she gets paid to help the slower drivers finish their route or takes the rest of the day off. There are several drivers just like her at the logistics company she works for. It is friendly competition among them to see who finishes first error free. Some drivers really do care about the quality of their service. Some could care less!
    Are they paid hourly? Or?

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Are they paid hourly? Or?
    they are given a route could be 175 stops consisting of 300 packages. They are paid 'x' number of hours to complete that route. They are paid those 'x' hours regardless of how long it does, or doesn't take. If she helps someone finish their route she gets paid for that at the detriment of the other driver. To answer your question they are paid an hourly rate.

Last edited:

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    I live in San Angelo, a town/city of right about 100k people.

We live on a 'private road,' with 24 houses on it. There is only 1 entrance, you come in, and can go left or right at the fork, and either way, it circles around right back to the entrance. It's a .7 mile loop.

At LEAST 1 in 5 UPS or Fedex packages end up at a neighor's house.

MOre than a few times, a neighbor will call or come by the house and tell us they were expectign a package, too, so they didn't even look at the addressee: They just opened it and realized it wasn't theirs- at which point they looked, and then brought it or called...

Likewise, many times over the last 5-10 years we've had to walk around the neighborhood and locate our package on someone's porch (some of these homes almost exclusively use the side or garage entrance and won't check their front door for weeks on end).

What I don't get is that, while I don't 'know' our UPS or Fedex drivers, I recognize them, and I can't help but think that if I recognize them that they should...could...likely know our addresses as well as our USPS guy.

Our USPS mailman only VERY rarely gets a deliver wrong- mostly that only happens when he's out and has a sub.

Are the Fedex and UPS drivers so overwhelmed with massive numbers of packages that they're basically frazzled and unable to cope?

I've read accounts of what delivering for amazon's subcontractors is like, and that has to be pretty horrible... Have Fedex and UPS gone that far down the road of 'corporate optimization'
    We have the exact opposite problem out here. My neiborhood is a few miles outside of Abilene, and UPS, FedEx, DHL, and Amazon are all great at delivering out here. Our USPS letter carrier on the other hand is completely useless. I actually have an appointment with the local Postmaster tomorrow to complain about her. Again. I have lived here 2-1/2 years and have personally filed 4 complaints against her with the USPS. Tomorrow will make 5. I had never done that before. Never in my whole life, have I ever complained to USPS. My whole neighborhood has filed multiple complaints and nothing ever happens about it. We usually check with all the neighbors when we have missing mail or packages, and then ask the rest of the neighborhood on the “secret facebook page”. I use the Informed Delivery app, and sometimes its 3-4 days after it says out for delivery before it actually gets delivered. She would drive up my driveway and throw packages out in front of my garage door instead of walking up the sidewalk and putting them on the porch. When I talked to the Postmaster, he informed me I was mistaken, she’s not allowed to drive the mail truck on private property. So I gave him a few photos and videos of her mailtruck in my and my neighbors driveways and yards. Then she started leaving the mailboxes open every time it rained. There are about 15 houses between me and the farm to market road, and on any given rainy day you’ll find 10 or so left open and the mail getting wet. You can’t call it an accident when it only happens on rainy days. Her latest trick is either not picking up our outgoing mail, or it never going anywhere after she does take it. My daughter has an Etsy store and uses Etsy shipping labels which provides a tracking number when it ships. The last 13 Etsy packages to be placed in the mailbox still haven’t received tracking numbers and its been 10 days now.

TL;DR-USPS sucks ass in my neighborhood.

rmantoo

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    We have the exact opposite problem out here. My neiborhood is a few miles outside of Abilene, and UPS, FedEx, DHL, and Amazon are all great at delivering out here. Our USPS letter carrier on the other hand is completely useless. I actually have an appointment with the local Postmaster tomorrow to complain about her. Again. I have lived here 2-1/2 years and have personally filed 4 complaints against her with the USPS. Tomorrow will make 5. I had never done that before. Never in my whole life, have I ever complained to USPS. My whole neighborhood has filed multiple complaints and nothing ever happens about it. We usually check with all the neighbors when we have missing mail or packages, and then ask the rest of the neighborhood on the “secret facebook page”. I use the Informed Delivery app, and sometimes its 3-4 days after it says out for delivery before it actually gets delivered. She would drive up my driveway and throw packages out in front of my garage door instead of walking up the sidewalk and putting them on the porch. When I talked to the Postmaster, he informed me I was mistaken, she’s not allowed to drive the mail truck on private property. So I gave him a few photos and videos of her mailtruck in my and my neighbors driveways and yards. Then she started leaving the mailboxes open every time it rained. There are about 15 houses between me and the farm to market road, and on any given rainy day you’ll find 10 or so left open and the mail getting wet. You can’t call it an accident when it only happens on rainy days. Her latest trick is either not picking up our outgoing mail, or it never going anywhere after she does take it. My daughter has an Etsy store and uses Etsy shipping labels which provides a tracking number when it ships. The last 13 Etsy packages to be placed in the mailbox still haven’t received tracking numbers and its been 10 days now.

I wonder if she’s a usps employee, or contract?

in the Angelo area most, I think all but am not certain about it being 100%, of our rural route carriers are contract. The 3 I know tell me that they “rebid” their route every year, and unless the post master has a compelling reason not to that their contract is almost automatically renewed. Worse benefits, but better pay than usps employees.

TxStetson

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    I wonder if she’s a usps employee, or contract?

in the Angelo area most, I think all but am not certain about it being 100%, of our rural route carriers are contract. The 3 I know tell me that they “rebid” their route every year, and unless the post master has a compelling reason not to that their contract is almost automatically renewed. Worse benefits, but better pay than usps employees.
    She drives a USPS vehicle, and wears a USPS uniform, so I'm assuming she's a USPS employee.

rmantoo

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    When I talked to the Postmaster, he informed me I was mistaken, she’s not allowed to drive the mail truck on private property. So I gave him a few photos and videos of her mailtruck in my and my neighbors driveways and yards.

I meant to comment on this yesterday, that’s crazy. I know there’s some liability or whatever in places where you have crazy people, but that sucks for the both the post office driver and for the homeowner here when you live in in a place that has a couple hundred yard long driveway Or big packages etc.

Especially like when I order five or 10,000 bullets, I have strongly encouraged my driver to pull up into the driveway and drop them wherever they want as close to the house as possible. And thank God they do because if they try to put those in my mailbox it would collapse.

Likewise our post office delivery guy has my phone number my mother-in-law’s phone number and my wife’s phone number, and routinely calls us to say hey it’s pouring like cats and dogs do you want me to leave this package on your porch or hold onto it till tomorrow etc.

TxStetson

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    I meant to comment on this yesterday, that’s crazy. I know there’s some liability or whatever in places where you have crazy people, but that sucks for the both the post office driver and for the homeowner here when you live in in a place that has a couple hundred yard long driveway Or big packages etc.

Especially like when I order five or 10,000 bullets, I have strongly encouraged my driver to pull up into the driveway and drop them wherever they want as close to the house as possible. And thank God they do because if they try to put those in my mailbox it would collapse.

Likewise our post office delivery guy has my phone number my mother-in-law’s phone number and my wife’s phone number, and routinely calls us to say hey it’s pouring like cats and dogs do you want me to leave this package on your porch or hold onto it till tomorrow etc.
    I see what you're saying, and I can see where it would be an issues, but it's only 30 yards from my mailbox to my front porch with a nice concrete sidewalk that starts right at the side of the mailbox. She's just too lazy to get out of her mail truck and walk it up there.

angel71rs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2009
    El Paso
    I have lived here 2-1/2 years and have personally filed 4 complaints against her with the USPS. Tomorrow will make 5. I had never done that before. Never in my whole life, have I ever complained to USPS. My whole neighborhood has filed multiple complaints and nothing ever happens about it.
    Recommend you and your neighbors write letters to your congressional rep. Postmaster won't like getting contacted by reps office and might finally light a fire under carrier supervisor's ass. And let the postmaster know you are doing exactly that.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

I collect 1st edition/1st printing RARE books & some that are essentially irreplaceable & I have had "all sorts of issues" with USPS (IF "Steve", our regular letter carrier is off), UPS & FEDEX at various times.

In one case, I purchased a book (that I had looked for for MONTHS) from one of "my usual on-line resellers" & who is really talented at finding things that I look for/want to buy.
    (I paid for "Second day air" & 8 days later I still had not received the package.)
    When I called UPS & gave their agent the tracking number, I was told that my package had been delivered on time & that I should "go look for it". = After looking everywhere that my lady & I could think of, we found the package INSIDE the BBQ pit (the next time that we were planning to cook some homemade burgers) & SOAKED with grease. - The RARE 1st/1st was RUINED. Thereafter, the supervisor at UPS called me back & said that, "We are sorry", offered to refund the SHIPPING COST (but NOT the cost of the book) & then claimed that it was MY fault that I didn't find the package sooner.
    (I ask you: WHICH person, who has an ounce of brains, would put an insured/2nd day air package INSIDE a GREASY BBQ pit??)

The "rare book vendor" refunded my purchase price about a month later but I still have not found another copy of the book at any price.

Fwiw, I have "a bad taste in my mouth" about "substitutes" at USPS & about the POOR SERVICE of both UPS & FEDEX.

yours, satx

Last edited:

jkingrph

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2008
    Jacksonville, Tx, W.Monroe, La
    Sometimes I wonder also. I ordered a couple of small items one to come from New Jersey, the other from Japan. The one from New Jersey took 8 days, spent 36 ours in one FedEx terminal mid shipment, the one from Japan, FedEx international took 2 1/2 days.

Now I also have problems with UPS, mostly during the Christmas holiday season. I will see a tracking, indicating delivery on a certain day, and will make sure I am home, and no delivery. Then it will pop up delivery attempted, no one home, when I am sitting about 10 feet from front door where delivery would have been made. This has happened several years. Cannot contact anyone at local "terminal" because there is no phone number, on line help is as useless as tits on a boar hog.

cherok2e

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2018
    Friona, TX
    One of these problems are what President Trump has been fussing about. If you order something and there is a delivery fee, UPS,FEDX, they shuffle it to a central hub and then to the local USPS for final delivery. The fee you pay is enough to get it to the central and then the USPS is cheap enough it makes it cost effective for them when the package is small or the address is far from their main location. That's why he wants to Charge FEDX and UPS the same kind of fee they charge customers.

When I order an icemaker for refrigerator it originated in Sacramento shipping via FEDX, went across town, then to Rowlett, then DFW, then Mesquite, then Plainview, then to Amarillo USPS then Friona USPS for delivery. The company ordered from said two day delivery.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom