• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Dec 29, 2020
    Great Southern Forest of Indiana
    Finished up another 1849 today, it was missing a hand spring, but that was easily made from shim stock. Found a little chunk of leather used as a spacer on the hammer spring and I had to wonder how long that had been in there. Maybe to change spring tension and hammer strength? Either way the hammer spring needed a bending and heat treating as there was no strength to it at all. It's a little too strong now so I'm leaving it cocked to see if it settles down.
    Gun Zone Deals

Attachments

• 1849done.jpg
      1849done.jpg
      183.6 KB · Views: 75

Mad John

Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    !849 .31 Colts are alot of fun and actually quite reasonable for a gun that production ended in 1872. There are so many variations that you could build a heck of a collection Of just 49s.
    I have one that Letters to Mr. Jno. Brewster Proprietor of the Brewster House Hotel in Freeport Illinois sent in May 1857. The Brewster was the premier Hotel in Northwest Illinois. Abraham Lincoln stayed there along with Stephen A. Douglas for the Famous Lincoln-Douglas Debates in August 1858. US Grant and other Presidents stayed at the Brewster.

billtool

TGT Addict
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    !849 .31 Colts are alot of fun and actually quite reasonable for a gun that production ended in 1872. There are so many variations that you could build a heck of a collection Of just 49s.
    I have one that Letters to Mr. Jno. Brewster Proprietor of the Brewster House Hotel in Freeport Illinois sent in May 1857. The Brewster was the premier Hotel in Northwest Illinois. Abraham Lincoln stayed there along with Stephen A. Douglas for the Famous Lincoln-Douglas Debates in August 1858. US Grant and other Presidents stayed at the Brewster.
    Wow. Right on.
    I lived in Freeport for a couple years of my childhood. Had no idea of that history.

Top Bottom