• ...and so much more!
  • codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    I’ve been having the AR fever again lately and want to add another one to the collection. I’ve got a ton of parts laying around but I just don’t know which way I want to take it.

This is what I already have:

14.5” M4 style carbine w/YHM specter length free float 4 rail handguard, Magpul MOE buttstock, EoTech 512, VFG, Surefire tac light, YHM phantom flash suppressor
    16” HBAR carbine w/Hogue rifle length free float tube, M4 stock, Aimpoint CompM3 in a Larue M68 QD mount, A2 flash suppressor
    20” SS bull barrel rifle w/Hogue rifle length free float tube, A2 stock, High rings, 4-18x44 Nikon, Harris bipod
    24” SS bull barrel rifle w/Hogue rifle length free float tube, Choat E2 stock, American Defense Recon QD scope mount, 6-24x40 Bushnell, Harris bipod

I'm considering doing something in the middle. The bull barreled rifles are 1 in 9" twist for the 20" and 1 in 12" twist for the 24". I'm thinking of doing a 20" heavy barrel with a 1 in 8" or 1 in 7" twist to handle heavier bullets. It would be nice to have a shorter/lighter rifle that could throw some lead 600 or so yards down range and still knock a coyote over. What would you do if you were going to build a rifle, right now?
    Venture Surplus ad

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    In the middle? of what?

18" or 22?"

If it were me, I'd work on my handgun collection. . . .

I'm just messing with you. That is a fine collection of guns. I wish you luck with your build.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    In the middle? of what?

Something between a 14.5" carbine and a 15lbs varmint rifle.

I'd work on my handgun collection. . . .

I don't even want to think about how many handguns are already in the closet...

I like the idea of the Mk12 SPR or the DPMS Mini SASS. Maybe use a 20" heavy DCM barrel or something. Maybe I can find an 18" heavy barrel if I do enough searching...or have the 20" cut and threaded...my head is going to explode if I keep thinking about this.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    I've got a list on here somewhere, I'll try to find it. The parts I've got are stuff that I've pulled off rifles or bought because they were a good price, they aren't going to influence this build though. It's ground up, whatever I think should go into it.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    This is what (I think...) I've got in the closet:

2 x DPMS Stripped Lowers
    1 x Olympic Arms Stripped Lower
    2 x Unknown A3 Uppers w/Dust Cover and Forward Assist

2 x Rifle Tubes/Buffers/Springs
    2 x A2 Stocks
    M4 Tube/Buffer/Spring
    3 x M4 Stocks
    Couple of Bolt Carriers
    Couple of Bolt Assemblies
    Several Barrel Nuts/Delta Rings/Springs/Forend Caps
    Several A2 Front Sight/Gas Blocks
    Couple of Removable Carry Handles
    Jard 1.5# Trigger
    Several Mil-Spec Triggers/Hammers/Springs
    Several Safety Assemblies
    Several Magazine Release Assembles
    Several Bolt Hold Open Assemblies
    Unknown 16” 1 in 9” M4 Profile Barrel
    Olympic Arms 16" 1 in 19" Light Profile Barrel
    A1 Flash Suppressor
    YHM Phantom SC2 Flash Suppressor/Compensator
    YHM Diamond Rifle Length 4 Rail Free Float Tube
    UTG Mid Length 4 Rail Free Float Tube
    M4 Wide (Carbine Length) Forearm
    2 x A2 Pistol Grips
    DPMS Palm Rest Pistol Grip
    Low Profile Gas Block
    2 x Carbine Gas Tubes
    Mid Length Gas Tube
    2 x Rifle Length Gas Tubes
    Burris 30mm 1 Piece Cantilever Scope Mount
    Larue M68 QD 30mm Aimpoint Mount
    Misc Springs, Detents, Roll Pins, etc.

I should be getting a Magpul PRS stock in tommorow from Copes Distributing. They had a great price on it...

Jason

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Austiin area
    PM sent... might be interested in some of those parts for a pink AR build for display, plus experimenting with another NIC coating on the insides...

WhoDat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Branch out to another caliber...

Looks like you're at a point of diminishing returns, with .556...

6.8 for deer/pig
    .204 varmint
    6.5 Grendel for bench, or varmint
    7.62x39 for blasting & bush rifle...
    O
    Beowulf or big Bushmaster?

Just a few thoughts...

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    Not a fan of the 7.62 in an AR platform. I’ve already got a couple AKMs a Mini 30 and a CZ 527 all in 7.62 x 39mm. Besides, I’ve got 3 unused lowers already… Great idea with the 6.8 and 6.5. I’ve liked them for a while but have yet to put one together. They’ll fit the lowers I have and do what I want, down range, better than the 5.56. Let me see what I can find for barrels. The more I look at the pictures and specs, the more I’m liking the 18” barreled rifles like the MK12 and the Mini SASS. I’ve got so many 5.56 parts that I may still go with it.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    Well, I just got a ridiculously good deal on an 18” fluted bull barrel and I couldn’t pass it up. Should be here tomorrow. Looks like 5.56 is the way it’s going. I’m wanting to go ahead with the short precision rifle. I guess I’m going to have to wait another week or so for the 6.5 Grendel that I decided I can’t live without.

Exile Machine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Dallas Texas
    Barrel length, caliber (yawn).

Do something really different...

IMG_6906.JPG

Let me know if you want to do a 30 day test drive...
    Exile Machine LLC - Tactical Compliance Products

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    Yep, that's different alright! I've got a buddy that lives in San Diego and owns a technology company. He also owns several class 3's, SBR's and suppressors. They reside in Arizona... The guns he does keep at home have some pretty strange features (pistol grip removal adapters, thumbhole stocks, welded barrel threads, welded on muzzle devices, non detachable magazines, etc.) I can't figure out why any gun lover would enjoy living in California. He hates it.

Exile Machine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Dallas Texas
    Yep I lived in SD for a couple years and made many a trip to Yuma to breathe (and shoot) freely. Hopefully the state AWBs get overturned soon. Meantime we'll keep cranking out the funny grips. We've actually sold some into the free states, next time we do a TGT shoot try one out. You might like it! :patriot:

Exile Machine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Dallas Texas
    Budstock adapter - is it for an AR pistol lower conversion? & what advantages does it add? thx...

Not necessarily for pistol lower conversions. Principal advantage is for those in states with assault weapons bans (AWB) - it replaces the "evil" pistol grip. In the northeastern AWB states this means they can have one other evil feature, for example a collapsible stock or a flash hider or even a bayonet lug. In CA it means they can use their 30 round mags and drop them with a finger press. (Otherwise they're limited to 10 rounds and using a pointy tool to release the mag.)

For those in free states it does also have advantages. In no particular order, it soaks up recoil (the aluminum product weighs 14oz), it positions the stock in a much more comfortable position (head more erect, less neck strain crouching down to look through the sights), a more comfortable hold on the rifle (like a wooden rifle), reduced muzzle climb and faster target reacquisition due to a shortened moment arm. For prone shooting (competitive and MIL/LEO sniper) with a short (5 or 10rd) mag it sits about 2 inches closer to the ground. It also has a badass look that can only come from using a pistol buffer tube on a rifle.

Check out our website for more details. We have a configurations gallery page that shows a bunch of different ways to use the product with different stocks. www.exilemachine.com/gallery.html

-Mark

tommyh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    Houston
    Youve already bought the new barrel, but another 5.56 seems like SSDD in your collection. Branch out and get the big brother platform!

Top Bottom