• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornetguy

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    I was trying to finish up 400 prepped cases for the acp, and got to a box of RP brass. I had already loaded 4 boxes of WW mil and Winchester brass.... I'm trying to use up a box of Ranier brass plated 200gr swc's. First RP case, charged it, put the bullet in the mouth, and seated it with almost no resistance. I did my normal taper crimp, and then checked it... passed the plunk test, then pressed the tip of the bullet against the bench edge, and pushed the bullet back into the case...
    Tried running a few back through the sizer, sans depriming rod, same results. Mic'd the bullets and they are at .450-.451, max. They work fine in the WW brass...
    Is this a known thing with RP brass? Thinner case walls? It's the only thing I can think of that would cause this issue...

I plan to load them with a bullet more in the .452 range, just haven't decided which one yet...

Fun, fun....

hornetguy

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    I have a Hornady with the titanium ring, and the Lee carbide. Tried both.
    It seems to be only a problem with the RP brass...

I have not mic'd the cases after sizing to see what they read...

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Could be some thin walled brass. Always a downer to find out after you've primed them. Time to find some bullets that run thick. I bought some berrys 45 hollow points a while back and a few wanted to shave plating when seated so they've been relegated to Colt 45 loads. I've had some batches of bullets that run a little under and they're usually not a problem but I bet between the brass and.450" diameter ones, they're going to be a problem for you.

Most of my guns prefer thicker bullets and my nines in particular do well with .356 bullets.

hornetguy

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    Could be some thin walled brass. Always a downer to find out after you've primed them. Time to find some bullets that run thick. I bought some berrys 45 hollow points a while back and a few wanted to shave plating when seated so they've been relegated to Colt 45 loads. I've had some batches of bullets that run a little under and they're usually not a problem but I bet between the brass and.450" diameter ones, they're going to be a problem for you.

Most of my guns prefer thicker bullets and my nines in particular do well with .356 bullets.
    Yes..... I have some commercially cast 230 rn that mic .452, and I have some genuine jacketed 230gr that I will mic... I think I'll be able to find something that will work... it just sort of took me by surprise that the WW brass all worked well, and the RP's just... didn't.

Top Bottom