• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    If you had neighbor with a "Vote for Hillary" sign in the yard in 2016, look no further ...

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Kind of reminds me of SeaTac airport between Seattle and Tacoma, Wa. The airport was built out in the middle of nowhere, and now there are homes and apartments all around it. I used to often see petitions online complaining about the noise from the airport trying to put a time on when airplanes should land and take off. I used to just laugh, they didn't see that giant airport when they were looking for a place to live?

If you can't stand the heat, get out of the fire.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Kind of reminds me of SeaTac airport between Seattle and Tacoma, Wa. The airport was built out in the middle of nowhere, and now there are homes and apartments all around it. I used to often see petitions online complaining about the noise from the airport trying to put a time on when airplanes should land and take off. I used to just laugh, they didn't see that giant airport when they were looking for a place to live?
    Similar situation around Austin Rifle Club (ARC) as well.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    I've been wondering when y'all are going to have to look into baffling some ranges.
    Our range roofs have deep "eye brows" on them. I think they are dual purpose: 1, to keep people shooting level and not going over the burm, and 2, to baffle the noise. It sure is a lot louder shooting on the line now because some of that noise is directed back at ya.

You can see them on this page on one of the revolving photos:
    https://austinrifleclub.org/

Last edited:

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009

If you can't stand the heat, get out of the fire.

Houston added their first east/west runway a few years back. They run 24/7 and could care less about the people who bought land that was not along a runway.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Our range roofs have deep "eye brows" on them.
    Remember that I mean no offense. I love y'alls club. I've been treated marvelously every time I've been there.

But I have to point out that those eyebrows are a totally ghetto substitute for real baffling. They make the line louder and set both upper and lower limits for the height above ground from which a shot may be fired. But it's relatively cheap. The cost of fully baffling a 200 meter rifle range would bankrupt most clubs who would be forced to relocate rather than remodel. Thus, I can understand why the eyebrows are used; I just don't like 'em.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Remember that I mean no offense. I love y'alls club. I've been treated marvelously every time I've been there.

But I have to point out that those eyebrows are a totally ghetto substitute for real baffling. They make the line louder and set both upper and lower limits for the height above ground from which a shot may be fired. But it's relatively cheap. The cost of fully baffling a 200 meter rifle range would bankrupt most clubs who would be forced to relocate rather than remodel. Thus, I can understand why the eyebrows are used; I just don't like 'em.
    No offense taken, wasn't my idea and I don't like them

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I've got neighbors that shoot in the area. Sometimes all day long.

Usually makes me think I should get off my butt and go shooting.

Had one guy say we were scaring the deer away from his feeder. He watched them but didn't hunt. He made that claim when deer were coming to get water from the tank on our property. My berm is built in to the side of said tank.

The best way to avoid being ducked with by the neighbors is to not dick with them. I continued to shoot as usual and the guy got over it. Had he tried to push the issue he would have gotten no where and I would probably have done some extra shooting, and maybe even played with some tannerite.

If you are someone who wants to tell your neighbors what they can do, move to an HOA so everyone can be miserable together.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I've got neighbors that shoot in the area. Sometimes all day long.

Usually makes me think I should get off my butt and go shooting.

Had one guy say we were scaring the deer away from his feeder. He watched them but didn't hunt. He made that claim when deer were coming to get water from the tank on our property. My berm is built in to the side of said tank.

The best way to avoid being ducked with by the neighbors is to not dick with them. I continued to shoot as usual and the guy got over it. Had he tried to push the issue he would have gotten no where and I would probably have done some extra shooting, and maybe even played with some tannerite.

If you are someone who wants to tell your neighbors what they can do, move to an HOA so everyone can be miserable together.
    You too huh? I'm not sure how many times I've heard gunfire and the light bulb in my head goes off and I'm out making my own noise.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    This is part and parcel of living in the country. Don't like it, buy some noise cancelling headphones

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    For those who say the neighbor should not have bought the property when they knew shooting was a regular event:

1. The complainer might have been there first, shooters moved in afterwards. {Don't know, could not be the case as well.}
    2. If they were not there first, when they went to look at the property there may have not been shooting going on while they were looking. And if they are not gun people, it might not have even occurred to them that they might have regular shooters for neighbors.
    That said, nothing illegal is going on. Unless the shooting is going on at odd hours, not much they can do except ask politely or work out some shooting times. And the shooters will have the choice to be very gracious and negotiate, or stand by their rights and say "Sorry, but no."

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    For those who say the neighbor should not have bought the property when they knew shooting was a regular event:

1. The complainer might have been there first, shooters moved in afterwards. {Don't know, could not be the case as well.}
    2. If they were not there first, when they went to look at the property there may have not been shooting going on while they were looking. And if they are not gun people, it might not have even occurred to them that they might have regular shooters for neighbors.
    That said, nothing illegal is going on. Unless the shooting is going on at odd hours, not much they can do except ask politely or work out some shooting times. And the shooters will have the choice to be very gracious and negotiate, or stand by their rights and say "Sorry, but no."
    Like I said.... Can't stand the heat, get out of the fire.

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    Just had a customer on 80 very rural acres tell me his neighbor drives up to the fence line and screams obscenities when the customer or his kids shoots "too much." As in...50 rounds is "too much." The guy's house is 1500 lasered yards from the hillside/target area.

I offered to bring some belt fed over to demonstrate what "too much" REALLY sounds like.

I sell guns to my (one) neighbor, and am on call to shoot rattlesnakes for her and her hands. Which is more what I expected from this area, after all, but my little 80 acre place is surrounded by her...well, she won't say how much, but the best guess is about 14 square miles. And yes, I am working on getting permission to set up a mile range somewhere :D

Top Bottom