Guns International

Anderson Manufacturing Stripped Lower Receivers - Any Good?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    What is the consensus on the quality (or lack of it) relative to Anderson Manufacturing AM15 multi-caliber stripped lower receivers?

d2k067a001_l_1.jpg
    Hurley's Gold

Attachments

• d2k067a001_l_1.jpg
      d2k067a001_l_1.jpg
      105.9 KB · Views: 1,332

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    What is the consensus on the quality (or lack of it) relative to Anderson Manufacturing AM15 multi-caliber stripped lower receivers?

View attachment 222225

GlennB,

Back in December19 (which given this "virus MESS" seems like YEARS ago) I carefully looked at several different AR-15/M16 style uppers & lowers, including Anderson's lowers that were for sale at the monthly SATX gun show.

Truthfully, it seemed that Anderson lowers at about 40.oo OTD were NO DIFFERENT (other than markings) in apparent quality than the lowers that were selling at that booth at nearly 100.oo.
    Further, I was told in an email from a GUNHUB member, who is "said to know about such things" that Anderson receivers are sold by other vendors, with NO changes but changing the vendor's name, at considerably higher prices.

yours, satx

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    The only lower I have ever had that had an issue was an Anderson. It had an out of spec take down pin hole. The damn take down pin fit in there like a hot dog down a hallway. I tried multiple pins as well.

They may look the same but just beware of stuff like that being a possibility.

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    A forged lower is a forged lower is a forged lower.
    There has been functional Lowers made out of polymer, sheet metal, wood, even legos. Seriously, not kidding.

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    The only lower I have ever had that had an issue was an Anderson. It had an out of spec take down pin hole. The damn take down pin fit in there like a hot dog down a hallway. I tried multiple pins as well.

I’ve heard of similar issues with DPMS and Bushmaster As well.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    All lowers made on CNC machines are made from the same basic software on the same type of machine, and in many cases by the same manufacturer with different markings depending on the customer, as the patents are long since gone. The only reason you would find an out of spec part is due to worn tooling not caught due to the QC, size and quantity of batch testing.

All manufacturers have out of spec parts every now and then. The question how fast the catch them and how much time and effort is put in checking the rest. They are so cheap now with such tight margins many lower cost brands find it cheaper just to replace bad ones as a customer finds it than to take the time and expense to check the whole batch.

That's shitty way of doing it but again bad ones are rare. Blems are much more common than out of spec unserviceable ones.

brashears9567

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 12, 2016
    I own several and have had zero issues. I've had issues out of others, but not Anderson. I prefer closed trigger guard which are still around forty bucks each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    I'll admit that most of the stripped lowers that I've bought have come from Palmetto State Armory. But, the 2 Anderson lowers that I bought were just as good and the PSA. In other words, they held the trigger group in the correct position. Really, the lower just holds a few parts in the right place, that's all.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I've assembled several Anderson lowers. All of them have worked out fine for me. The only issue I have had was putting a fostech echo into one, but it was just from the thick finish in the lower. About a minute of sanding and it fit in just right.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Just try it. As already mentioned: out of spec parts get pumped out. Unfortunately they aren’t caught. The most common thing I see on all lowers (almost all the forgings people get is from Anderson) is the hole location for the buffer detent.

why people get out of spec stuff is imo due to the bigger business you have the less qc you have to pump out finished goods. Example would be if I’m running a vmc (vertical machining center) say a haas vf series. In a smaller shop a guy has time to blow down each fixture and tool when a program cycle is done. From what I have seen...I fear many larger manufacturers push production so far an operator probably has no time to check each every other finished operation or every fourth, fifth, ect.

Anderson is the whore of the ar world...you get what you get. Imo the best affordable lowers with the best qc are from stag. Every company produces lemons. I just have yet to get something from them that is.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I've got an Anderson lower on an AR pistol that works just fine.

Charlie,

I'm currently toying with assembling an AR pistol with the assorted "junk box"/leftover circa 1970 Colt's parts that I have "ratholed".

Please tell me about your pistol. - What length barrel??

yours, satx

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW

Same here. I have built a few, and the only problems I have had were with an Anderson. They made it right in a couple of weeks, but I won't use another one. All lowers are NOT created equal.

Top Bottom