• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Between flicker and this sites update I can no longer get photos to post. Don't know if it's flicker or version 1.what'tha'hell'ev'a. For sure part of it's flicker. I just know I can't.

Ok... so that's outta the way. Went back to Academy today(don't make a special trip but if I have to go to Lowe's it's on the way back) and lo' n' behold the browning 9mm was on the shelf. Packaged in 150rd 124g boxes for 31.99. If you do the math it's pretty much the same per round as buying the 500rd boxes. ~$0.21 pre-tax and ~$0.23 post tax. So put 450 rds in the cart and checked'em out!
    20200813_095040_resized.jpg
    ARJ Defense ad

Last edited:

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    If posting from phone, or computer, just click the "attach files" button below the reply area.
    No need to have pictures "hosted".

Jarine88

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 24, 2018
    Tomball
    I wish I had an excuse to leave the house more often during the week so I could hit Academy. I’m stuck working from home and sitting on conference calls most of the day.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Probably shouldn't have done this.... I went to Carters Country just to browse as I was close by. Ended up talking to another customer. He relayed his search for ammo this weekend "We started in South Houston - went to Friendswood, League City, Dickenson, actually every place we could find between South Houston and Galveston. We hit spots off of I-45 going towards Galveston and looped around on the way back going through La Porte/Pasadena on the way back. We found zero rounds of 9mm - zero."

So... Showed him the above picture and told him I took it 2 hours earlier. And where I took it. He 'bout ran out the door at Carters Country. Hope he got him some! Just wonder how many folks he'll tell how Academy works?

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Probably shouldn't have done this.... I went to Carters Country just to browse as I was close by. Ended up talking to another customer. He relayed his search for ammo this weekend "We started in South Houston - went to Friendswood, League City, Dickenson, actually every place we could find between South Houston and Galveston. We hit spots off of I-45 going towards Galveston and looped around on the way back going through La Porte/Pasadena on the way back. We found zero rounds of 9mm - zero."

So... Showed him the above picture and told him I took it 2 hours earlier. And where I took it. He 'bout ran out the door at Carters Country. Hope he got him some! Just wonder how many folks he'll tell how Academy works?

You gave away your secret fishing hole.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Sooo what's my investment to load 9mm. I was thinking Dillion 650xl or something similar(but I know nothing aboute'em) Saw some 750's and 1100 models but don't know if I would benefit from being able to load a lot of different calibers. Never say never.

Not interested in: do this process, do that process, move this here, move that there, pull the handle - great got one bullet. Now do it again. I understand the need to knock out primers but is it possible to automate the entire process. Load the cartridges and pull the handle then after however many handle pulls you have a bullet then every handle pull there after you have another bullet.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Yes, you can get a progressive with a case and bullet feeder so all you're doing is loading up components and pulling the handle. Once you're in production mode, one pull of the handle will be one completed cartridge.

The Dillon 650/750 or 1050/1100 are both options. You'd get that with the case feeder and then add something like a Mr. Bulletfeeder from Double Alpha Academy.

You could also do something like the Hornady Lock-n-Load AP press with the Ammo Plant (bullet feeder)

Here's a link to the Ammo Plant kit:

You'll need a few other tools, a die set, case tumbler for cleaning, etc

There's others too such as the MarkVII progressive systems or the RCBS Pro-Chucker progressives. There's also Lee on the low end but it doesn't sound like you want to do much tinkering and those require a fair amount.

If I had to guess you'd be in for a minimum of ~$1500 if you bought new before buying components.

There is somebody here selling a Dillon 650 setup with case feeder and bullet feeder for $1400 something. They're in the Houston area too.

Oh and small pistol primers are a pain to find right now for 9mm. Bullets too.

If I were you and somewhat interested in reloading I'd do as much research as possible and meanwhile start saving all of your brass.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Thanks! Yeah, I've been saving brass since the first trip to the range simply because - ya' never know.

So... let's disregard the cost of the machine, any dies or auxiliary stuff, case feeder, ect...

Nothing but materials including cases(for now) a good guesstimate cost per round would be? Also discounting availability. As it stands I've managed to acquire ~4200 rds thus far at a cost of around $0.23(~$966.00) per round.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Well let's ball park it based on my latest purchases. I didn't factor in hazmat / shipping for powder and primers but I rounded price of primers up a bit to account for it.

I paid $86.00 for 1,000 FMJ 9mm bullets.

Primers ~ $43.00/1000 including tax

Powder ~ $26.00/1 Lb

So $0.086 / piece for bullets $0.043 / piece for primers.

7,000 grains in a pound of powder. Figure 5% waste so 6,650 grains. $0.004 / per grain.

I'm looking at a load for 9mm that is 5.2 - 5.8 grains of powder per cartridge so we'll land on the middle and say 5.6 grains. Powder is $0.022 / round.

So all told I'm roughly at $0.15 / round not including my time and cases I've collected over the years.

In the good times, when I was paying a little under $0.16 / round for Fiocchi 9mm, reloading wasn't worth my investment. Now it is.

I could get the price per round lower if I used lead bullets or much lower if I cast my own. I'm not at that point quite yet.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    You gave away your secret fishing hole.
    Perhaps... maybe karma will be nice to me because of it. Really screwed up about a month ago. Was in Field & Stream and could of bought 20 - 500 rd cases of 115g Remingtons and only bought 2.

Top Bottom