• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    The Hardballer was a good 1911. Yes, the slide needs to be lubed. But that is true of any pistol.

Never had an ounce of trouble with one I had, that ultimately was given to a relative.

Did you get a good deal? Depends on how much you paid.

TEXAS "All or nothing"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2021
    Texas
    I bought a hardballer (6" barrel) back in '86 and was an utter POS! I blamed the 45acp as the problem, but G21 cleared that question up! The g21/41 is the best shooting/functioning/accurate acp there is, well that I can shoot anyways!

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    Don't over pay for it they have a small
    Following. And there are better guns for the money. Yeah I had one along with a Back up 45 and 380.
    I've heard several owners that liked the AMT Hardballer. I have a Backup 380 that has never fired a magazine without a failure. It was the worse $100 I ever spent on a gun.
    Hope yours is much better.

tonelar

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    El Paso
    Look for galling between the rails and inside the top of the slide, too many AMT owners used plain gun oil on these SS firearms.

Mine out shot Natl Match & Gold Cup 1911s.

Zilla

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2019
    DFW
    I'm a little late to the party here, but I had an early 7" long-slide 10MM version, the Javelina. Very fun to shoot and no hiccups with factory full power ammo. I've owned quite a few Dan Wessons since, and so I know that AMT didn't make the most refined 1911s. But if you're wanting to cut your teeth on a 1911, I think you could do worse.

JBBooksisalive

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2021
    Longview TX
    I bought one back in the mid 90's. It was a good shooter, ran best with a bit extra oil on the rails.
    Having owned Automag II's I do think AMT when new need a bit refining and tweaking. But run great once dialed in.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I've heard several owners that liked the AMT Hardballer. I have a Backup 380 that has never fired a magazine without a failure. It was the worse $100 I ever spent on a gun.
    Hope yours is much better.
    Right there with you. I went through several Backups in the '80-90's. I WANTED to work and tried every kind of ammo available at the time - no deal. And carrying one with that little "slide" safety with a chambered round was frightening - even though it had a grip safety.

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    I had a long slide Hardballer years ago and it was just a fun range toy. Only bought it because I'm a huge Terminator dork. It didn't give me any issues and sold it to fund more guns. One thing I didn't like was how crude the slide and frame was machined plus the barrel link looked like it was worked with a center punch.

Dman62

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Prosper, TX
    never had one, always wanted one. they've always had the reputation of jamming due to the slide galling along the frame. something about the SS slide/frame rails being too soft or ?
    They were originally made with slides and frames made of the same stainless steel which causes the gauling. Stainless guns need the slide and frame to each be made of different series of stainless, or so I’ve heard. I’ve also heard the Hardballers could be made to run if they are greased well with the right grease.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    I had a hard baller a while back. Bought it because I saw it in a video game and got it for a steal in trade from my previous gun guy. It was finicky with ammo but the right rounds worked wonders for it. Everything I've read on them says they're about 50/50 so you may have dodged a bullet. With the extra work done it could have been a shooter though. My only complaint was mag capacity. Traded it to a guy for an saiga-74 when I thought AKs were cooler than 1911s.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom