• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    seems that no online retailer wants to be the one that goes below 50 cpr. I think once that happens you'll see a mountain of price drops. They all have stock, no one is buying.
    Seems to be getting there.
    This has been in stock for a couple of days now. I did not even bother reposting it when my thread on it a few days ago went OOS
    ARJ Defense ad

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    Once this all settles out I do expect prices to be a bit higher but only because I expect commodity prices to be higher. After spending a lifetime in manufacturing I can tell you it's just not possible to maintain pricing without the demand/supply being out of balance in your favor. In commodities people expect prices to vary and you can't maintain the high price because people got used to it. They get unused to it pretty quick when somebody comes to the market with better pricing. Excess profits eventually attracts competition or anti-trust enforcement.

If you have a factory you have to keep it running. You can't just throttle back to keep prices high. You made an investment in production capacity and you have to get a return on it or you die. Every plant has a fixed cost that you pay even if you produce zero. In manufacturing this tends to be rather high compared to other types of businesses. Every dollar you take in over your fixed costs plus your cost of goods goes straight to the bottom line. Every situation I've seen is different but if I had to generalize I'd say you can probably keep the doors open running at 70% capacity but things go south quickly below that. Running at 50% capacity would cause you to permanently shut in some capacity and if you had debt you'd go bankrupt.

This is why they don't "just make more". They aren't certain the demand is going to last. If it does they'll build more capacity but it takes time.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Once this all settles out I do expect prices to be a bit higher but only because I expect commodity prices to be higher. After spending a lifetime in manufacturing I can tell you it's just not possible to maintain pricing without the demand/supply being out of balance in your favor. In commodities people expect prices to vary and you can't maintain the high price because people got used to it. They get unused to it pretty quick when somebody comes to the market with better pricing. Excess profits eventually attracts competition or anti-trust enforcement.

If you have a factory you have to keep it running. You can't just throttle back to keep prices high. You made an investment in production capacity and you have to get a return on it or you die. Every plant has a fixed cost that you pay even if you produce zero. In manufacturing this tends to be rather high compared to other types of businesses. Every dollar you take in over your fixed costs plus your cost of goods goes straight to the bottom line. Every situation I've seen is different but if I had to generalize I'd say you can probably keep the doors open running at 70% capacity but things go south quickly below that. Running at 50% capacity would cause you to permanently shut in some capacity and if you had debt you'd go bankrupt.

This is why they don't "just make more". They aren't certain the demand is going to last. If it does they'll build more capacity but it takes time.

Prices WILL settle higher. Inflation is coming (well it's heere but hasn't been officially listed by the economists that do the numbers) The Produce Price Index went up 15% last quarter which is an unprecedented jump. I think the previous record was 5.4%

ktaylor966

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2020
    DFW
    I have a case of 9mm (brass, not steel) per month in our budget. Been buying cases for five straight months and I’ve paid as little as $519. (at the beginning) to $599 (last night’s purchase). It’s something we live with and now I have a nice quantity for myself.

Meta_Physic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2021
    Seems to be a change in ammo availability in Dallas. I was able to buy some 9 and 5.56 off the store shelf this week on two trips. I did not wait in line either time but just swung by to see what they had. Price was 20% or so above pre-pandemic. Still a two box limit. At recent gun show no ammo was moving and some showed lower prices than in the past. Store guy told me they are getting daily shipments of multiple calibers.

unwired

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Southlake
    When ammo is on the shelves, there are usually limits on how much you are allowed to buy which was the case at Scheels in north Dallas today. Prices weren’t too bad and the variety was good. I bought the calibers I wanted.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    When ammo is on the shelves, there are usually limits on how much you are allowed to buy which was the case at Scheels in north Dallas today. Prices weren’t too bad and the variety was good. I bought the calibers I wanted.
    Welcome to the Forum!

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    You have to follow the rules. New members have to share what you bought with the other members :laughing:

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    Prices WILL settle higher. Inflation is coming (well it's heere but hasn't been officially listed by the economists that do the numbers) The Produce Price Index went up 15% last quarter which is an unprecedented jump. I think the previous record was 5.4%

I'm pretty sure that's the year-over-year number you're quoting and reflects a recovery from the pandemic lows. Prices collapsed, especially energy, and recovery to normal looks big as a percentage off the lows but really it's just back to normal, or maybe a bit high, depending on how/what components you're looking at. Take out food and energy and it's in the normal range.

Now that we are one year out from the shutdowns we're seeing all sorts of crazy numbers. Technically, one year out from the brief negative oil prices (if you want to use that particular example as an index) oil is up "infinity and beyond". Doesn't really mean anything.

Unless you're talking about something else. You just threw out a number without reference so it's not clear to me.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    I'm pretty sure that's the year-over-year number you're quoting and reflects a recovery from the pandemic lows. Prices collapsed, especially energy, and recovery to normal looks big as a percentage off the lows but really it's just back to normal, or maybe a bit high, depending on how/what components you're looking at. Take out food and energy and it's in the normal range.

Now that we are one year out from the shutdowns we're seeing all sorts of crazy numbers. Technically, one year out from the brief negative oil prices (if you want to use that particular example as an index) oil is up "infinity and beyond". Doesn't really mean anything.

Unless you're talking about something else. You just threw out a number without reference so it's not clear to me.

PPI is what producers pay for unfinished goods and raw materials that are used in manufacturing of finished goods. Even during the pandemic those prices stayed pretty steady and did not drop. It's pretty alarming to see such a large swift jump.

Then again, M1 went from 6 Trillion to 18 Trillion in January. We could be in for a bumpy ride.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Found this video last night. It was posted about six days ago. Maybe the ammo shortage is coming to an end? Hopeful news if true.

Was at Scheels yesterday at 430pm and the shelves were more full thannive seen them in over a year.

Plenty of 7.62, 12 gage and several other rifle and pistol calibers and types.

Blazer brass in 9mm was 19 dollars a box, still double what I would pay for it and more than double what it was but it's there.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Was at Scheels yesterday at 430pm and the shelves were more full thannive seen them in over a year.

Plenty of 7.62, 12 gage and several other rifle and pistol calibers and types.

Blazer brass in 9mm was 19 dollars a box, still double what I would pay for it and more than double what it was but it's there.

Thanks for sharing CC. Nice to know it's maybe getting back to some normalcy.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    I was at Scheels Wed, nothing but shotgun stuff.
    'box of 40 rounds of Zombie Terminator .38-caliber ammunition'. Big shipment of ammo being smuggled out of the US to Guatemala. Now we know where it is going.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    price trend is downward. Online retailers slowly lowering their prices. Yes, it's bottom of the barrel ammo but it is happening --

1619894965718.png

thescoutranch

TN Transplant - We love living in TX
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 5, 2020
    Georgetown
    One nice thing with ammoseek is if you were looking for a particular type of ammunition, let’s say Hornaday 308 SST’s, it turns up results of places that actually have it in stock instead of a lot of wasted time on Google. You may not like the prices, but at least you can actually find specifically what you’re looking for, If it is available anywhere.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Things seem to be getting a bit better. I was able to get my hands on a few boxes of self defense 9mm ammo at nearly their normal price. Reloading stuff seems to be coming back too. A month or two ago, Grafs had a 2-3 week delay on orders being processed. Now, there is no delay on non-hazmat stuff. I'm seeing a lot more stuff in stock there and at MSS too. You can actually get .224 and .308 caliber bullets without having to buy the premium stuff.

Powder and primers are still gone. Those aren't going to come back until the demand for ammo is met.

Last edited:
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Chasewhat0
    Top Bottom