• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a buddy that just became a USA resident. He is wanting to get a pistol and a couple LR rifles. He asked me yesterday if .40 is the way to go for ammo availability in a pistol... I told him I have no idea because I only know what's available around the Snyder area.... which is NOTHING! I know the same question is coming for a LR rifle.

The last calibers to go at my local gun shops were 6.5cm, 6mm, 224V, 338LM, 38spec and 357.

He is very mobile and travels all over Texas chasing the Enduro races and he frequents Houston area a lot.

What are ya'll seeing on the shelfs? And what would ya'll recommend for pistol and LR calibers based on availability at the shelfs???

Thanks!

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    Now that the Remington plant is back open, im hoping to see some more ammo on the shelves. Personally i would go with 9mm Vs .40 on the pistol side. Im all for NATO cartridges. For long range id probably go 6.5cm.
    Ive only got 1 Academy .... thats an hour away, now that im not in the the big city. I was seeing some Grendal & Creedmore still on the shelf a couple weeks ago... but i bought most of what was left. If you hit the gunstores or Academy on the right day you can find some. Obviously Academy will probably be cheaper. Hell, i was lucky last week & stopped in Walmart & they had 6, 200rnd CCI 17hmr. I was able to pick up 1, then had a buddy close by grab another. They were only $50, hell before shit got stupid, they were $60 for 200.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I have a buddy that just became a USA resident. He is wanting to get a pistol and a couple LR rifles. He asked me yesterday if .40 is the way to go for ammo availability in a pistol... I told him I have no idea because I only know what's available around the Snyder area.... which is NOTHING! I know the same question is coming for a LR rifle.

The last calibers to go at my local gun shops were 6.5cm, 6mm, 224V, 338LM, 38spec and 357.

He is very mobile and travels all over Texas chasing the Enduro races and he frequents Houston area a lot.

What are ya'll seeing on the shelfs? And what would ya'll recommend for pistol and LR calibers based on availability at the shelfs???

Thanks!

It's different each day. No way to predict what you'll find where.
    Many of the actual gun shops have ammo but they'll only sell it to a customer buying a gun.
    Academy is hit or miss. One day they'll have oodles of stuff. Next day? Zip. Nada.
    My local store seems to get in shipments once or twice a week. Most stores are probably the same.
    Wal-Mart still sells some ammo but the local store here never has anything. I don't even bother going there any longer.
    Carter's Country is a Houston area small chain store gun shop. They sometimes have ammo. They'll only sell you one box and you'll pay thru the nose for it. Especially the big Fudd caliber stuff.
    You just have to get out there and search.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    224 Valkyrie and 6.5CM ammo seems to be around fairly often. Pistol ammo goes quick it seems, as I rarely see any.

Top Bottom