• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    I have not built a computer in +- 12 years :) last one and I am still using it is a Intel i7 2600K I remember spending an ass load on the parts lol but I guess it ended up being not to bad of a deal. Other than a few upgrades like GPU and ram over the years its done its job.

So because I am a computer builder I was asked to put together a system for a Christmas gift. Little did I know computer parts are like gun parts you cant find them.

I am down to the CPU and I really know nothing about AMD and the structure of how they name CPU's and how the CPU's perform.

What is the better deal for a gaming PC

Ryzen 7 3800X 3rd Generation 8-Core - 16-Thread - 3.9 GHz at $360

Ryzen 9 3900X 3rd Generation 12-core - 24-Thread - 3.8 GHz at $460

I know cores are important and I am sure there is a difference with the 7 vs 9 but I think that those are more to do with multi tasking or photo editing or things like cad/cam software.

Thanks for your insight and by the time I get down to picking I may not have a choice lol. I did order the ryzen 7 above but have not went to pick it up and a box store and have till Wednesday to pick it up or just cancel the order.

I may order the other one just so I can research info on them.

In the end enough was spent on parts the $100 is not the deciding factor in what CPU to get.
    Venture Surplus ad

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    It all depends on what you're going to do with the machine. The AMD Zen 2 cores in those processors are great, I have a 6 core Ryzen 5 3600 (non X) and I'm more than happy with it, but all it's doing is running VMware EXSi and hosting a few VMs.

The more cores you have, the more you'll have sitting there doing nothing but consuming the dollars you paid if you aren't using them. Not many programs are massively parallel, so unless you have a lot of things running at once, those cores sit idle. In those instances, the lower core count but higher clock speed will be "faster".

The new 4000 ... er 5000 series (Asians hate the #4) Ryzens are about to be on the street with the Zen 3 architecture. It's a sizable performance jump, I think they quoted 15% average, up to 50% in some workloads. They are like primers right now though, can't get 'em or if you can they're silly expensive.

So, not knowing what you're doing but inferring typical use, the 3700x will be overkill and handle your workloads for years to come.

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    Either one should’ve more than sufficient for gaming. Your video card will be a deciding factor too.

If you have plenty of fast memory, run the OS on an SSD and a separate SSD for apps, you get to ensure high IO rates for your drives and not having to share the IO lines for system and application data at the same time. Another way to help increase system performance is to provide a 3rd SSD for your SWAP file. Again this keeps that IO separate from other system and application access.

The Ryzen 9 should likely be better in the long run especially if you get into video editing, sound editing, and such. Either will work just fine.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    For strictly gaming 12 cores is overkill. I have a 3900X and do a lot of gaming, but tend to have other stuff running at the same time like OBS, Joystick Gremlin, Oculus, etc. I still probably have at least 4 cores doing nothing. The overall speeds are the same on the 3k series. So I don’t think it’s worth it to buy the 3900X over others unless you plan to run multiple programs at once. Doubt there’s a game that will touch more than a couple. And then a couple cores for other crap in the background and you’re covered.

The 5K series is a jump over the 3K, but they are gonna be tough to find and expensive. Probably not worth it if you aren’t pushing for the latest and greatest thing on the market or if you play games that have really bad optimization and high demand (DCS for example) or run CPU heavy games combined with VR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    I have a 3800X and it is plenty fast for even the most demanding games. I run at 5760x1200 resolution and it is not a bottleneck.
    Just put a decent cooler on it like a Noctua.
    Don’t waste your money on high speed memory, it provides the smallest gain.
    Adding an M2 SSD to the motherboard is a big gain over using a SATA hard drive or even SATA SSD.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    He plays first person shooters like call of duty So as long as he can get smooth action in that its all good.

thought I put the GPU in the OP it will be here Wed.

EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti XC GAMING Video Card, 08G-P5-3663-KR, 8GB GDDR6

ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 PG VELOCITA AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard

generic 800w Power supply and 16 gb ram 4400mhz

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    I know cores are important and I am sure there is a difference with the 7 vs 9 but I think that those are more to do with multi tasking or photo editing or things like cad/cam software.
    I haven't built in a long time now. But I doubt that this has changed: it matters less the CPU (to an extent) than the graphics board you choose to run. If it was me, I'd look for some benchmarks using both CPUs and whatever GPU you will plan to use (lots of money to be spent there, too).
    FWIW, I used to build a LOT with AMD and was always pleased with their performance.

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    He plays first person shooters like call of duty So as long as he can get smooth action in that its all good.

EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti XC GAMING Video Card, 08G-P5-3663-KR, 8GB GDDR6

ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 PG VELOCITA AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard

Love Newegg! Read the reviews on the AsRock board. Looks darn good.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    I haven't built in a long time now. But I doubt that this has changed: it matters less the CPU (to an extent) than the graphics board you choose to run. If it was me, I'd look for some benchmarks using both CPUs and whatever GPU you will plan to use (lots of money to be spent there, too).
    FWIW, I used to build a LOT with AMD and was always pleased with their performance.

Ya the GPU is a new offering that is supposed to be killer price for performance. I hope it lives up to that. Was released last week

texasnurse

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2016
    Ryzen Series 7 5800x lol; seriously consider you overall desired outcome. Check out Linus tech tips for Ryzen CPU information as well.

He built a pc recently with a 3700x

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    Posting a link for a thread on gaming PC’s from M4carbine.
    Lots of good info especially if you are into VR and flight sim type of stuff.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    I've been building PCs for 3 decades. the 3060ti (if you can get one) and the combination with any ryzen 37xx or 38xx processor would be fine. AMD is king right now until Intel can respond. I'd recommend 58xx but you can't find any with the current shortages.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW

Might consider bumping RAM to 32g.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    I've been building PCs for 3 decades. the 3060ti (if you can get one) and the combination with any ryzen 37xx or 38xx processor would be fine. AMD is king right now until Intel can respond. I'd recommend 58xx but you can't find any with the current shortages.

I have a 3800x I got from BestBuy because I could not find anything else.

I then scored a 5800x from new egg

and last night I got a 5600x from Amazon.

All at stock prices

So I have the CPU's covered its just a matter of what one to keep.

The 5800x with having to buy a cooler puts it at almost $250 more than the 5600x if I can get away with the stock cooler.

The practical side says go with the 5600x and the future proof side of me says do the 5800x and it will definatly be good for at a min of 5 years.

i thought I spent a crap ton on this computer I am using when I went with the i7 2600k CPU the first week it came out now 10+ years latter its still humming along and I have yet to find anything It cant run at a good enough pace for me.

and the 3600 IT will be here Wed with the mother board :)

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    And the worst part is I will be on NewEgg for tonight's drop trying for a 5900x or 5950x :) lol because I have a mental illness that makes me buy the impossible to find lol

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    “Future proof” is really “I have the newest thing now and will want the newest thing again later when it comes out”, for most anyways.

Only thing on my build that really works out is the X570 MB. I’ll likely be getting a 5900X and 6900XT this spring. Luckily, I’m not in a huge rush to find either right now.

As for the coolers, stock cooler is fine for AMD as long as you don’t plan to OC. And Ryzen CPUs don’t tend to OC very well anyways.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    I have a 3800x I got from BestBuy because I could not find anything else.

I then scored a 5800x from new egg

and last night I got a 5600x from Amazon.

All at stock prices

So I have the CPU's covered its just a matter of what one to keep.

The 5800x with having to buy a cooler puts it at almost $250 more than the 5600x if I can get away with the stock cooler.

The practical side says go with the 5600x and the future proof side of me says do the 5800x and it will definatly be good for at a min of 5 years.

i thought I spent a crap ton on this computer I am using when I went with the i7 2600k CPU the first week it came out now 10+ years latter its still humming along and I have yet to find anything It cant run at a good enough pace for me.

and the 3600 IT will be here Wed with the mother board :)

Deemus was right 32GB of ram will future proof you or at least allow for more utilities to be running. If you have the 5800x absolutely use it.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    “Future proof” is really “I have the newest thing now and will want the newest thing again later when it comes out”, for most anyways.

Only thing on my build that really works out is the X570 MB. I’ll likely be getting a 5900X and 6900XT this spring. Luckily, I’m not in a huge rush to find either right now.

As for the coolers, stock cooler is fine for AMD as long as you don’t plan to OC. And Ryzen CPUs don’t tend to OC very well anyways.

Well I guess we see future proof as a different thing then as my current computer is a home built from a decade+ ago. when I spent a fortune building it. Turns out buying the i-7 2600k at release was a good move. As even now it will run modern titles well enough.

I don't see the point in having to build a new computer every 2-3 years because of using old tech. Buy the newest tech and ride that bitch to the ground.

Top Bottom