AMD Ryzen CPU for a gaming computer

Shady

TGT Addict
Aug 24, 2013
I have not built a computer in +- 12 years :) last one and I am still using it is a Intel i7 2600K I remember spending an ass load on the parts lol but I guess it ended up being not to bad of a deal. Other than a few upgrades like GPU and ram over the years its done its job.

So because I am a computer builder I was asked to put together a system for a Christmas gift. Little did I know computer parts are like gun parts you cant find them.

I am down to the CPU and I really know nothing about AMD and the structure of how they name CPU's and how the CPU's perform.

What is the better deal for a gaming PC

Ryzen 7 3800X 3rd Generation 8-Core - 16-Thread - 3.9 GHz at $360

Ryzen 9 3900X 3rd Generation 12-core - 24-Thread - 3.8 GHz at $460

I know cores are important and I am sure there is a difference with the 7 vs 9 but I think that those are more to do with multi tasking or photo editing or things like cad/cam software.

Thanks for your insight and by the time I get down to picking I may not have a choice lol. I did order the ryzen 7 above but have not went to pick it up and a box store and have till Wednesday to pick it up or just cancel the order.

I may order the other one just so I can research info on them.

In the end enough was spent on parts the $100 is not the deciding factor in what CPU to get.

Brains

Hey! Relax!
Apr 9, 2013
Spring
It all depends on what you're going to do with the machine. The AMD Zen 2 cores in those processors are great, I have a 6 core Ryzen 5 3600 (non X) and I'm more than happy with it, but all it's doing is running VMware EXSi and hosting a few VMs.

The more cores you have, the more you'll have sitting there doing nothing but consuming the dollars you paid if you aren't using them. Not many programs are massively parallel, so unless you have a lot of things running at once, those cores sit idle. In those instances, the lower core count but higher clock speed will be "faster".

The new 4000 ... er 5000 series (Asians hate the #4) Ryzens are about to be on the street with the Zen 3 architecture. It's a sizable performance jump, I think they quoted 15% average, up to 50% in some workloads. They are like primers right now though, can't get 'em or if you can they're silly expensive.

So, not knowing what you're doing but inferring typical use, the 3700x will be overkill and handle your workloads for years to come.

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
Dec 12, 2010
Eagle Mountain Lake area
Either one should’ve more than sufficient for gaming. Your video card will be a deciding factor too.

If you have plenty of fast memory, run the OS on an SSD and a separate SSD for apps, you get to ensure high IO rates for your drives and not having to share the IO lines for system and application data at the same time. Another way to help increase system performance is to provide a 3rd SSD for your SWAP file. Again this keeps that IO separate from other system and application access.

The Ryzen 9 should likely be better in the long run especially if you get into video editing, sound editing, and such. Either will work just fine.

Younggun

Ginger Avenger
TGT Supporter
Admin
Jul 31, 2011
hill co.
For strictly gaming 12 cores is overkill. I have a 3900X and do a lot of gaming, but tend to have other stuff running at the same time like OBS, Joystick Gremlin, Oculus, etc. I still probably have at least 4 cores doing nothing. The overall speeds are the same on the 3k series. So I don’t think it’s worth it to buy the 3900X over others unless you plan to run multiple programs at once. Doubt there’s a game that will touch more than a couple. And then a couple cores for other crap in the background and you’re covered.

The 5K series is a jump over the 3K, but they are gonna be tough to find and expensive. Probably not worth it if you aren’t pushing for the latest and greatest thing on the market or if you play games that have really bad optimization and high demand (DCS for example) or run CPU heavy games combined with VR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IXLR8

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
May 19, 2009
Republic of Texas
I have a 3800X and it is plenty fast for even the most demanding games. I run at 5760x1200 resolution and it is not a bottleneck.
Just put a decent cooler on it like a Noctua.
Don’t waste your money on high speed memory, it provides the smallest gain.
Adding an M2 SSD to the motherboard is a big gain over using a SATA hard drive or even SATA SSD.

Shady

TGT Addict
Aug 24, 2013
He plays first person shooters like call of duty So as long as he can get smooth action in that its all good.

thought I put the GPU in the OP it will be here Wed.

EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti XC GAMING Video Card, 08G-P5-3663-KR, 8GB GDDR6

ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 PG VELOCITA AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard

generic 800w Power supply and 16 gb ram 4400mhz

kbaxter60

Lesser Being
Jan 23, 2019
Pipe Creek
I know cores are important and I am sure there is a difference with the 7 vs 9 but I think that those are more to do with multi tasking or photo editing or things like cad/cam software.
I haven't built in a long time now. But I doubt that this has changed: it matters less the CPU (to an extent) than the graphics board you choose to run. If it was me, I'd look for some benchmarks using both CPUs and whatever GPU you will plan to use (lots of money to be spent there, too).
FWIW, I used to build a LOT with AMD and was always pleased with their performance.

kbaxter60

Lesser Being
Jan 23, 2019
Pipe Creek
He plays first person shooters like call of duty So as long as he can get smooth action in that its all good.

thought I put the GPU in the OP it will be here Wed.

EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti XC GAMING Video Card, 08G-P5-3663-KR, 8GB GDDR6

ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 PG VELOCITA AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard

generic 800w Power supply and 16 gb ram 4400mhz
Love Newegg! Read the reviews on the AsRock board. Looks darn good.

Shady

TGT Addict
Aug 24, 2013
I haven't built in a long time now. But I doubt that this has changed: it matters less the CPU (to an extent) than the graphics board you choose to run. If it was me, I'd look for some benchmarks using both CPUs and whatever GPU you will plan to use (lots of money to be spent there, too).
FWIW, I used to build a LOT with AMD and was always pleased with their performance.

Ya the GPU is a new offering that is supposed to be killer price for performance. I hope it lives up to that. Was released last week

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Drockton Bullion

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members