• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I'm concerned about out dogs as well. One is far to curious about anything and everything. :/

A 410 shockwave, or a Judge are the two things I mostly had in mind. I guess most anything that chambers 45 LC will also chamber 410?

Not sure why it didn't come to me earlier, I have a little palm sized Beretta .22 that is pretty good at cycling just about everything. That would be pretty easy to have handy.

DD130,

The VAST MAJORITY of firearms that are chambered in .45 Colt will NOT chamber .410 shotgun shells = A firearm that will chamber both have to be made that way OR so modified & MOST handguns are NOT manufactured with a cylinder/chamber that is long enough to accept .410 shells.
    (The shortest .410 shells that I am familiar with are 2.5" in length & MOST .410 shells are 2.75" or 3" in length.)

Fwiw, MOST single shot or double-barrel .410 long guns CAN be rechambered/rifled to also fire .45 Colt cartridges.
    SOME pump & semi-autos can also be rechambered/rifled but NOT all such shotguns can be successfully modified to properly "feed" .45 Colt cartridges.

ADDENDA: Fwiw, there is a .410-based RIFLE cartridge that is factory loaded in Europe that is nothing more than a 2.75" brass-cased shot shell that is loaded with a (I think that I remember about 250 grain ) SWC lead bullet, at about 2000FPS.
    Imo, that cartridge would be fully suited to hunt any animal that can be successfully/humanely taken with a .38-55WCF OR (likely) .45-70 Government.
    (SORRY, offhand I cannot remember the name of that rifle cartridge but it is listed in CARTRIDGES OF THE WORLD under European Sporting cartridges.- I just looked & I could NOT find my copy.)

just my personal experience/opinions, satx

Last edited:

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Knock on wood - I've not had to dispatch any snakes encountered on our property yet - they've all been kind enough to stay away from the house. I was in at one of the gun shops in town last week and he had a couple cases of .22LR rat shot. I picked up a box and have dedicated the little Walter P22 as my anti-no-legged-personnel weapon. I drop it in my back pocket when I am working in the yard. I also keep a garden rake handy for relocating the buggers. I need to make a snake hook out of some of the rebar I found. I don't particularly want to kill any snakes, but venomous snakes near the house will probably get dispatched. My wifey had to go under the house last week, said she saw "a huge black snake" under there. Guessing a King snake? He can be my pest control guy.

I use rat shot too when at the farm. My $99 Heritage revolver and rat shot, in a holster, on my hip. I hate having to carry a gun in my hand unless I'm hunting.

Last edited:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I use rat shot too when at the farm. My $99 Heritage revolver and rat shot, in a holster, on my hip. I hate having to carry a gun in my hand unless I'm hunting.

deemus,

AGREED 100%. - That's why I bought my (C&R) H&R HANDY GUN in .410 gauge & had a chest holster made for it.
    (The holster looks similar to but NOT the same as the WWII vintage Navy pilot's chest holster.)
    Fwiw, the little "shot pistol" is usually loaded with #71/2 shot & generally resides in my tacklebox.

That said, I expect that loaded with handloaded shells loaded with FIVE 000 buckshot that it would RUIN a prowling criminal's whole night, IF it had to be used to end a home invasion/burglary.

yours, satx

Last edited:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Do they taste like chicken?

deemus,

NOPE. - IF you have NOT tried "chicken-fried" rattle-tail, they taste (to me) quite similar to fried Channel Catfish.

Remind me sometime to tell you the rather long & involved story of THE GREAT WEST TEXAS RATTLESNAKE FEED of 1986 during the TEXAS SESQUICENTENNAL WAGON TRAIN.
    (A good time was had by all & the majority of the eaters/dancers went back to their camps by Dawn.)
    That was "quite a party", for sure.

yours, satx

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    You need one of these.

H018AH-410-1-scaled.jpg

justashooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    The Judge is precisely one of the options I wanted to pursue.
    I carry a Judge on my land whenever I am out there. it is a nice relatively light weight easy to carry option. I am more worried about coming across an aggressive hog than I am a snake. I keep the first cylinder with 410 #2 shot, the rest with Hornady 410 Defense. If i see a aggressive snake the first shot would kill it. If I see a hog close up I can shoot pretty fast.

justashooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    I carry a S&W Governor when hunting where snakes are known to roam.. Great tool
    A good choice as well. I went with the Judge because of the poymer frame. Normally I do not like those, but the weight is a nice benny. I guess I could have accomplished my goal by loading one of my 9mm or 45 with a couple of shot shells on top of the mag, but than I would not have had an excuse to get another gun. :)

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom