• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • suhsjake

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    San Antonio
    Looking for help on trying to rebuild an alternator or someone that knows how to rebuild alternators. It is a PowerMaster on an 03 GMC Duramax Diesel 2500HD. Currently, it is seized up (and was smoking too when the truck locked up).

It would be greatly appreciated. I am a broke ass college student so as long as you don't charge and arm or a kidney, I should be okay.

Jake
    Capitol Armory ad

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    You can generally get the kits form an autopart store, autozone will also test alternators for free (removed from the vehicle or in it.) Been a long time since Ive taken an alternator apart......let alone put one back together.

suhsjake

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    San Antonio
    Well I got it yanked out. Needless to say, it looks like it might have just burnt up. The brass/bronze pully has gone from a goldish color to bronze towards the inside of the alternator.

Update:

One of my neighbors is a mechanic. He pulled it apart and has never seen an alternator fry itself so completely. New one in the mail though, will be here by Wednesday.

suhsjake

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    San Antonio
    The serpentine belt was about 200ft on the road behind my truck. I also learned that when you lose a serpentine belt, you also loose power steering. I was happy to get it off the road.

I am pretty happy with it though. It lasted 6/7 years. That is why I am getting the same exact one.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Looking for help on trying to rebuild an alternator or someone that knows how to rebuild alternators. It is a PowerMaster on an 03 GMC Duramax Diesel 2500HD. Currently, it is seized up (and was smoking too when the truck locked up).

It would be greatly appreciated. I am a broke ass college student so as long as you don't charge and arm or a kidney, I should be okay.

Jake

Buy a replacement. Don't get a cheap POS from the local auto parts store, get an AC Delco replacement.

I'm an auto mechanic and we never rebuild or have them rebuilt unless it's something really rare. A good brand-name part (and I'm not talking Autolite here) will last longer and be much more reliable than a rebuild. It will cost more, yes... in the short term.

Top Bottom